Home made bed bug trap. Works great.

(3 posts)
  1. Hates Bedbugs

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 13:51:59
    #

Login to Send PM

We've had the exterminator in once, but they are still here. They will be coming again in a week or so. In the meantime I took some plastic soda bottles and cut the tops off of them (one for each leg of my bed). I then took some small plastic storage containers (slightly larger in diameter than the soda bottles). I put the leg of the bed into the soda bottle bottom, and then put that into the container. Fill the outer containers with about 2" water, and drop a moth ball into each of the soda bottles.

##
    ##
    | ## | # : leg of bed
    | | ## | | o : moth ball
    |~~|o## |~~| ~ : water
    \__\_##_/__/

Bed bugs can't swim as far as I know. I clean out the 'floaters' once every couple of days, and refill with water. Not sure if the moth balls do anything but I'll keep doing this. I haven't been bitten in weeks.

Your mileage may vary,
    HBB

2. Hates Bedbugs

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 13:52:47
    #

Login to Send PM

##
    ##
    | ## | # : leg of bed
    | | ## | | o : moth ball
    |~~|o## |~~| ~ : water
    \__\_##_/__/

Excuse my lousy graphic. You get the idea.

3. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 14:46:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Chemical treatments often take multiple applications. Follow ups in 1-3 weeks are a well-accepted practice. Depending on the tech and the method, you will see activity in the days after first treatment.

How many days have you had this in place and how many floaters have you picked up?

You have essentially constructed a double wall fortification for your bed leg, similar to the commercially available "ClimbUp". (Note, the "ClimbUp" actually has a "rough" outer wall, that allows BB to climb up and find themselves in the (lightly) talc-dusted outer ring, where the talc keeps them from getting a grip and climbing up the bed or back out.) The irregular bottom shape of many drink bottles may complicate this design. I would not guarantee that bed bugs can't skim the top of water or avoid it, rather than drown. Finally, being that the mothball (naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene) is giving off its fumes "in the open" rather than in a container, I doubt that it will kill bed bugs (it might repel them), but these are dangerous chemicals and you are exposing yourself to them as you live and sleep.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,126 posts in 29,400 topics over 90 months by 12,678 of 19,938 members. Latest: fireant, bugbastards, chris1979