(2 posts)
  1. readbookspetcats

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 16:56:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I have read a lot of different posts on this forum since we (unfortunately) ended up moving into a bed bug infested apartment unwittingly. We live in a very old house that has been converted into a duplex with one apartment on top and one on the bottom. We live on top. Our apartment was treated once before we moved in and once after. The people before us (who were the ones that told us about the infestation) used foggers and over the counter products since our landlord refused to do anything else, and claim they were at the point where they were no longer being bitten but would find a bug every once in awhile in the bathroom where they seem to be primarily attracted. The bedroom next to the bathroom (that we don't use) is what we call ground-zero of the infestation. We think this is directly above where the neighbor's infestation is the worst.

We went a few weeks without bites after the exterminator sprayed but have begun receiving bites again. The exterminator claimed to have found very few bugs to begin with, leaving us to believe that the ones we are experiencing now have come from downstairs. We found three just yesterday after only finding one very young, clear one for weeks. I should mention that their apartment was never sprayed, they have told us that they will lie to the landlord about being infested and have asked us not to disclose it as well.

At this point we have given up on eradicating them entirely but plan to use interceptors and cimexa to prevent them from actually biting us. I am hesitant to use pesticide because I do not want to drive them closer to us. If we sleep in the living room we are bitten but not so much in the bedroom we use. It is as if they can't detect us so easily being on the other side of a fairly big apartment.

Anyway, what can we expect to reasonably accomplish? Are we doomed to be re-infected over and over? Has anyone had success getting rid of them while a near apartment was still infected? I plan to put cimexa in the interceptors and around the interceptors, mattress bag our bed again (ours ripped), move it away from the wall and hopefully allow them to die off trying to get to us. I have read that interceptors are not the most effective but does this seem like a good plan? If all else fails we'll see if the landlord is willing to exterminate again. Thanks anyone for any help, insight, whatever you can provide! This site is a god-send.

2. mp7ski

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 17:32:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, while my situation is a little different, there are some similarities.

First, yes, no matter how successful you are at eradicating them from your apartment, they will just come back if your neighbor has an infestation, especially if it goes untreated.

Ideally, both apartments would be treated at the same time by a bed bug expert pco multiple times 2 weeks apart if treated chemically. I would first research if your landlord is required by state law to address the issue and you may need to talk to your neighbors and make them realize what they are doing to you and that the landlord needs to know and needs to address both apartments.

If you end up back at diy and controlling the issue, encasements and cimexa will help but will only do so much. The bugs will find a way into the bed one way or another, believe me, I know. But it will help with bites. Over time though, once they make their way onto your bed again, you'll start getting bit more. If your set on only controlling the issue. A high temp. dry vapor steamer will help. Every couple weeks or so you could steam the bed and boxspring, the frame, dry your bedding, reapply cimexa and that should keep the bites to a minimum. You'll have to have a vacuum with a hepa filter to vacuum any cimexa up on the bed frame and mattress and box spring before steaming everytime and then reapply the cimexa afterwards but it would be worth it.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

255,240 posts in 40,867 topics over 124 months by 17,884 of 18,271 members. Latest: DDScared97, Chelsearae0315, nervousbugdown