Son has bites, and found blood on my pillow [a: not bed bug; likely aradid bug]

(20 posts)
  1. freakingout-now

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon May 8 2017 8:41:07
    #

Login to Send PM

A few days ago my son woke up with itchy bumps on his neck. Over the next couple days he got more itchy bumps. We are assuming he got into some chigger nest in the woods near our house, or that we have beg bugs. Over the last few days I have been checking his room for bed bugs and haven't found anything. I even had a friend (who is a pest control guy) come do a 20 minute inspection, but he didn't find any signs of bed bugs. No fecal stains, no shed skin, no bugs, no nothing. At this point, I'm starting to go crazy. This morning on MY pillow case, I found some blood. No visible bite marks on me. I searched my room and couldn't find any other traces of bed bugs. The son that has the "bites" on him shares a bunk bed with my other son, and my other son has no signs of bites or any signs at all in his bed.
    If we have bed bugs, I'm thinking its in the early stages. Should I go all out now and get the house sprayed with chemicals?
    Here is a link to the picture of the blood on the pillow for identification. http://imgur.com/a/DDgVM
    My wife and I are very worried. Please help!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon May 8 2017 9:24:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Never treat without confirming the issue. Looking at that photo it doesn't make me think bed bugs.

What whispers the whisker?
  3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon May 8 2017 9:28:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Continue to periodically inspect and Monitor (See "Useful Tools Section") if you aren't already. As mentioned, don't treat unless you see confirming signs as you can create more problems than you will solve.

Richard

4. freakingout-now

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon May 8 2017 11:16:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I am going to monitor the situation and have purchased some supplies from Amazon. I also spoke to a couple local pest control guys and they both do chemical treatments if indeed there are bed bugs. Do you have a recommendation with regard to heat treatments vs chemical treatments? I don't like the idea of chemicals being sprayed in kids rooms, but I want the most effective treatment possible.

5. mp7ski

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon May 8 2017 11:27:33
    #

Login to Send PM

freakingout-now - 4 minutes ago  » 
    I am going to monitor the situation and have purchased some supplies from Amazon. I also spoke to a couple local pest control guys and they both do chemical treatments if indeed there are bed bugs. Do you have a recommendation with regard to heat treatments vs chemical treatments? I don't like the idea of chemicals being sprayed in kids rooms, but I want the most effective treatment possible.

Most consider the most effective treatment out there to be vikane fumigation, but with the recent labeled dosage rate being lowered and not much research done on its efficacy at this rate in the field, who knows if it really is now. Heat can be a very effective treatment if done right, where the whole house is heated, not just rooms, and they use fans and monitors to eliminate cold spots. With heat treatments you also have to consider heat sinks such as basements, cement floors, etc. Even in the best of situations heat treatments often leave stragglers and are usually followed by chemicals and/or dusts. Nothing is 100%, especially just chemical treatments. Just do your research and make the best most informed decision you can.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon May 8 2017 12:08:39
    #

Login to Send PM

It doesn't sound like bed bugs, but if you want to do your homework now you might want to consider a chemical spot treatment as opposed to whole house heat treatment. Cirkil has a serious smell to it but is all natural.

7. freakingout-now

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue May 9 2017 8:56:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm beginning to think that the "bites" may be poison oak rash. They look like bites and have developed over a period of a few days, but I've read that that's possible with poison oak.

I did find this though: http://imgur.com/a/URoIG
    Does that look like a cast skin?

8. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue May 9 2017 9:35:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a bed bug cast skin.

9. freakingout-now

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue May 16 2017 16:06:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I think I found something. In my son's car seat I found cast skins. Are these bed bug skins?
    I haven't seen any live bed bugs.
    pic http://imgur.com/a/bzdsp

10. freakingout-now

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue May 16 2017 16:38:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is a live bug I found in the car seat. Its the large black thing in the center of the pic. There is some dirt or something attached to it so ignore that part.
    http://imgur.com/a/xF9HT

11. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue May 16 2017 17:58:50
    #

Login to Send PM

The first photo is the cast skin of the larval carpet beetle.
    The second photo is not a bed bug, but I can't say exactly what you have there, possibly a beetle.

12. freakingout-now

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed May 17 2017 7:16:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for the info. I think I am in the clear for bed bugs. Now I just need to get rid of the carpet beetles from my car. Maybe this is what caused my son's "bites"?

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed May 17 2017 10:31:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

People can have skin reactions as a result of carpet beetle larval skins. They can and often do appear as bites and even have the puncture marks.

The best advise I can give is detailed here, and in the linked PDF file:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/carpetbeetles.html

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  14. freakingout-now

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Jun 1 2017 20:19:30
    #

Login to Send PM

The saga continues. The part that I did not mention in my first post was that we stayed in a hotel for about 4 hours that had a bed bug infestation. That was early April I believe. As soon as we saw a bug, we got out of there. When we got home, we laundered all clothes on high heat and drycleaned the stuff we couldn't wash. I also bought EcoRaider and sprayed out luggage and left it outside for a couple weeks.
    I don't think the bites on my son (see first post above) were bed bug related. I think it was poison ivy.

I also haven't seen any evidence of bed bugs anywhere in the house... except for this evening. I found a bug crawling very slowly on my bathroom floor. It looked near death. I took pics:

http://imgur.com/a/ZyAIU

Is that a bed bug? It is very dark, almost black. If it is nearly dead that would mean it hasn't been feeding. I am hoping and praying it is not a bed bug. My kids' clothes were just on the bathroom floor and they were playing outside a lot today. I'm hoping its just a bug from the woods.

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Jun 2 2017 5:46:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The new image is also not a bed bug.

While you have no signs to confirm bed bugs, monitoring for bed bugs is good practice and can help you catch the issue early enough that treatment is no more complex than a thorough deep clean and does not require the use of any chemicals apart from maybe some mild detergent.

Its about getting organised and having a plan in place and avoiding potential contact by checking when you travel.

Hope that helps.

David

16. freakingout-now

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Jun 2 2017 5:57:47
    #

Login to Send PM

David,
    I am extremely relieved to hear you say that it's not a bedbug. I really appreciate you replying. However, I am still slightly concerned because in person the bug looks a lot like a bedbug... Same head, antennae, 6 legs, flat. Are you 100% positive its not a bed bug? And if I took better pictures would that be able to help make an even more definitive answer?
    I apologize if it seems like I am questioning your expertise. That is not my intention. It's just that this whole bed bug scare has caused such stress over the last month that I just want to be 1000% sure.
    Thank you!

17. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Jun 2 2017 6:15:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes I am certain.

I would advise that you search for some of my writings on bed bugs and anxiety to better understand how to manage that.

David

18. freakingout-now

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Jun 2 2017 8:13:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Out of curiosity, do you know what type of bug that it could be? I've never seen a bug so closely resemble a bed bug.

19. freakingout-now

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Jun 2 2017 8:26:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I did some googling and came up with this: Aneurus fiskei (aka: flat bug)
    Does that sound reasonable?

edit: could be Neuroctenus simplex
    https://www.whatsthatbug.com/category/true-bugs/flat-bugs/

20. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Jun 2 2017 8:42:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I was going to chime in earlier to say that it's an aradid bug, not a cimicid (bed bug) bug. Could be the Neuroctenus species, but would need a closer shot of it to tell for sure.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

257,195 posts in 41,256 topics over 125 months by 18,080 of 18,499 members. Latest: Mendace, astephe2, Cmarie32