help me identify these black pellets on my bed [a: termite feces]

(5 posts)
  1. MikeMk20

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Aug 26 2013 21:28:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Please help me identify what has been accumulating on my bed. I first noticed last year that the edge of my bed (only the edge) next to and right below a windowsill had been dusted with tiny black pellets and the biggest concentration of them was on the window sill itself. I had no idea what it was but didn't have any kind of insect or bug problem so I cleaned it up and forgot about it. I noticed more of it later but it wasn't that much and just cleaned it up again. After 3 months away I have returned to the house and found more of it again. This time though it's not just a little and it's accumulating pretty quickly. There's even a large pile of the pellets in the space between the box springs and the wall (on the floor). I am sure it's not from bed bugs because I haven't been bitten at all, and these pellets are the only thing I'm seeing. But I figure there are plenty of knowledgeable people here who may know what it is. Please help me identify what it's coming from. Pictures below:

1. Close up picture of some of the pellets: http://imgur.com/0eHTZm6
    2. Mattress cover dusted with the pellets (this part of the mattress cover was already exposed, it's not as if I'm finding pellets underneath anything) http://imgur.com/WAtbF36
    3. Finally, note the large pile of pellets on the floor and the pellets on the windowsill. http://imgur.com/vhcScVv

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Aug 26 2013 21:51:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Drywood Termite feces. Color is usually varying from light brown to black .. but I'll still say Termite feces.

3. MikeMk20

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Aug 26 2013 22:13:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! I'm relieved that it's not from anything that would take an interest in me. And glad that I'm only renting. I guess I'll just move my bed away from that wall/window and continue to clean up after them.

4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Thu Aug 29 2013 18:34:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, you need to notify the land lord above just cleaning up after them. He/she needs to take care of the problem.

5. BBNewbie

Posted 11 months ago
    Thu Aug 29 2013 20:32:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes.....you need to inform the LL. I just had to deal with subterranean termites in my garage rafters. It was $650 for the treatment and another $700 to reinforce the rafters so the roof will withstand the coming winter snow. (I live in the Great Lakes snow belt.) So the sooner he can get treatment done the better. They can do ALOT of damage.

S

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,417 posts in 29,451 topics over 90 months by 12,707 of 19,972 members. Latest: allergictomyself, neatnik, waryweary