Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Help Id bug bites around groin area

(27 posts)
  1. mint5jf555

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 16:54:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I went away for the weekend and put on alot of bug spray. But when I woke up Sat. morning I had these awful bug bites around my groin area. There are some on my back, stomach and sides but most are where my underwear is. Its like they crawled into my under garments. I woke up Sunday with even more. They itch terribly. I never felt a bite at all. I did sleep on my stomach. I slept on a old mattress that was kept up against a wall in a shed. I slept on the floor on the mattress with a sheets on it. I don't have any bites on my face,legs,or arms. Its just under my clothes. My groin area is the worse. Even on my pubic bone, inner thigh and bottom. I am putting up a link so that you can ID the bites. They don't look like mosquito bites or fleas. The bites itch, and are different sizes and have welted up.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b275/mint5jf/Bug%20Bites/IMG_2277Medium.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b275/mint5jf/Bug%20Bites/IMG_2281Medium.jpg

2. Beatrice

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 17:01:33
    #

Login to Send PM

All of your bites were where clothes were covering your skin?

Is it possible you just have a heat rash?

3. mint5jf555

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2007 1:53:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Beatrice,

Yes, the bites are where my clothes covered my skin. Under my shirt,shorts and underwear. There are bites on my pubic area and butt. I woke up Saturday with the bites. No, its not a heat rash. They are spaced out. I have one on the middle of my butt cheek and another about three inches below. I have three bites in the middle of my pubic bone and along the creases in the groin area. I do not have lice or body lice. I do not have crabs. What ever this is appeared Saturday morning after sleeping on a mattress on the floor. I was never sitting in any grass. I did sit at a picnic table all weekend long. I had bug spray on all weekend. I rode quads all weekend. No fishing or swimming either. I never felt any bites either. What ever bit me did it while I was sleeping. I did sleep on my stomach most of the night. I slept in a t-shirt, (no bra), shorts and my underwear. Its just weird that I had bug spray on and had no bites on my arms,legs,neck, or face. The bug spray did spray over my clothes so that at night the skin not exposed to the spray was under my clothing. I am wondering if it were some kind of bedbug or mites. I wish I knew. And today, Monday, there are no more new bites. The same ones are still itching and welting. My husband slept next to me with jeans and a t-shirt on and had no bites. Just a couple on his ankle.
    THanks for the reply and anyone that can help.

4. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2007 10:37:21
    #

Login to Send PM

mint5jf555,
    I would think that allowing yourself to sleep on an old mattress that has been in a shed is asking for trouble.
    My though is that bed bug would probable not exist in a mattress that has been in a shed unless the mattress had been in someones bedroom and became infested and then stored in the shed. Bed bugs usually hang out close to the host which is usually a human. Now if the mattress had been infested prior to storage then it has been acknowledge that the bed bug could exist without a host for approx. 18 months. How they have come up with that I would love to know but this seems to be what professionals are saying. I would think that it could be other things you would have to research insects and parasites and then maybe you would find an answer. I would try if possible to go back to where you slept and look for evidence, maybe that would help.
    This is a big problem in our bed bug epidemic, that is trying to identify bite mark, this tends to drive many of us nuts.
    On bedbugger.com you can link to bed bug bites on flicker and see documented bites including my reactions to delayed bed bug bites and/or chemicals and stress. I still have old marks and its been 8 months.
    I feel that it is hard too help you on this but do take precautions so if you have brought something into your house cleaning would help. Check FAQ in this site. Much information on bedbugger.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2007 12:39:27
    #

Login to Send PM

hi mint5,

No one can ID bed bug bites based solely on appearance. Even dermatologists can't do that. They may be able to do a skin scraping and tell you whether it is an insect or mite or another skin problem. So I would definitely try a dermatologist.

Bed bugs would bite under clothing (this happens all the time) and I am sure some other insects would bite there as under clothing was the sole area that hadn't been sprayed.

Although bed bugs would be unlikely to live there (unless someone had used the bed on occasion?) it could be bat or bird bugs, mites, or something else. Good luck and I hope it does not continue!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. BBsBlow

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2007 20:48:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe scabies?

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2007 23:34:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Scabies is a distinct possibility.

8. Ru

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 9:10:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Anything that bites under clothing sounds to me like Bird Mites. They are worse than bedbugs!

9. ofallthebeds

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 13:14:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow... sorry to hear your story... as being itchy is no fun at all. I have heard that different people react differently to BB bites... so as the folks above said... it is hard to tell from the bites. And I went to a dermatologists and was told they were flea bites. There went $20 down the drain... anyhoo... if anything... my bites did not look anything like that. Hopefully you can find out what caused it... but just don't go sleeping on old matressess.... one just never knows and it is better to be safe than sorry... I guess this is easier said than done whenyou are someone who has experienced BBs. Best of luck to you!

10. Beatrice

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 13:20:54
    #

Login to Send PM

From the pictures it looks like prickly heat or razor burn. The pictures look more like a skin irritation than a bite.

11. swilli

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 17:17:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Geez, has anyone considered the possibility of chiggers? Stop looking for unreasonable answers. Keep this in mind too, although you are grasping for answers, sometimes the answer is as simple as "nothing is there". Reputable PCO and Inspectors are trained and know exactly what to look for. If a reputable PCO says you don't have bedbugs, guess what, get a second opinion. If that second opinion also says you don't have bedbugs, guess what, you don't have bed bugs. If you had bird mites, you would see them. They are visible to the naked eye. Chiggers are an simple explanation for many of the ills that plague people with bites. They are virtually invisible, they utilize an anesthetic when they bite so you do not feel the bite. Once they have left the blood meal, you don't know they were there. Chiggers can live inside a home as well.

I don't think you people are crazy but here is something to consider as well, if you can't find a physical explanation, consider that the rash that you are attributing as bites may actually be mentally induced. The mind has a way of perpetuating problems far beyond the physical limits of the body. It is a very understudied but legitimate explanation. This is not calling someone crazy anymore than saying that a person's fear of heights or tight spaces makes them crazy. It is a syndrome and if you click the link that I have left behind, you can see that there is a legitimacy to my explanation. http://delusion.ucdavis.edu/manifest.html
    http://delusion.ucdavis.edu/protocols.html
    http://delusion.ucdavis.edu/causes.html

12. swilli

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 17:22:44
    #

Login to Send PM

The other thing to take into consideration is that the product specifically states not to use under clothing. This is because if it is trapped in clothing, it can become a skin irritant, clog pores and can cause folliculitis. Check out folliculitis on web md or another reputable site. This product is supposed to be washed off before sleeping so as to not irritate the skin. The litmus test would be to try the experiment at home under controlled conditions. If the same thing happens, you have an allergy to the deet or other ingredients in the repellent.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 17:31:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Swilli,

Chiggers, folliculitis, scabies, bug or insect bites are all a possibility, and are all mentioned in our FAQs (linked below). And while it's statistically likely that at least some folks who post on the forums are suffering from delusional parasitosis, it does not seem like the most likely possibility in this case, if you read what the OP wrote above.

What's more curious to me is if you have bed bugs, or some involvement with the pest control profession, or if you just came on to call other people's advice unreasonable? Why not say hello and introduce yourself.

14. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 19:55:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I think swilli's posts elevated my blood pressure!

Considering that DP is treated by the use of antipsychotic drugs, and is, in every respect, a condition that has to be diagnosed by a medical professional, I think one must be very careful before raising the possibility in this way.

A doctor. Moreover, a doctor trained to make such a diagnosis! Not an entomologist. Not a PCO. And, quite certainly, not one of us.

I would hope that you would take the time to read this site. You might discover that people here are routinely advised to seek the services of professionals and not to treat their homes, or their bodies, themselves.

Bed bugs are not Morgellons disease. They are identifiable pests. There is no need to raise the specter of DP.

Also, swilli, this:

"If a reputable PCO says you don't have bedbugs, guess what, get a second opinion. If that second opinion also says you don't have bedbugs, guess what, you don't have bed bugs."

is an irresponsible statement. Irresponsible because I assume you are a professional.

Then again, if you are not a professional...

15. swilli

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 9:04:34
    #

Login to Send PM

How is saying that if 2 REPUTABLE PCO's tell you you don't have bed bugs, then you don't have bed bug an irresponsible comment? If you feel that it is, then get three opinions. Get 4 if you need. But make sure they are reputable and do a thorough inspection. If someone comes in and tells you that you can get rid of your bed bug problem for $49.95, you don't have bedbugs. That is not a reputable PCO.

Also, I wasn't implying that anyone has dilusional parasitosis...I was merely offering that as an honest option. I believe in exhausting all other option first before looking into a psychiatrist.

Thrid, PLEASE, for goodness sake, DON'T apply things like "Frontline" flea and tick killer, bleach or any other harsh chemicals to your body. There is no need for that and you will end up doing more harm than good.

Since the Keymaster would like me to introduce myself...I am a pest control inspector for a large, well respected firm that is consulted regularly by the department of health. I promise, I am not just pulling things out of the air.

Good luck, I hope that all of you can get these things solved.

16. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 9:59:32
    #

Login to Send PM

hi ... it is too hard to say from the pics. COULD be from any of the things mentioned above. As a former RN I'd consider you may have picked up something or came into contact with something from the matress. This is the only history you have given.
    All types of dust mites and other mites ... could even be from mold or mildew in the room or on the matress It is also likely heat rash and you need to see a Dermatologist. Since it sounds like you slept in the garage--really could be anything. I would not suggest hot baths nor any treatment until you see a Dermatologist. Allergies often cause dermatological reactions and they can last for a while.
    Contact dermatitus is sounding evil--but simply it is that you have come into contact with some agent that has irritated or caused allergies to be expressed on the skin.Even laundry soaps can cause such reactions. True it looks like a lot of things. Again please see a Dermatologis and be sure to give them a more precise history. Having said that--I hope it is just a bug bite(s) from something outside that is seasonal, and or in conjunciton with the atmosphere (weather) and an agent on the matress. Since it was a matress you can't rule out or rule in anything. The sooner you check into it--the better off you will be
    best to you and do let us know what it is/was and how you had it examined and treated.

17. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 10:26:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi swilli... a person with DP--and I am not saying this is the case whatsoever--NEEDS professional treatment from a licensed Psychiatrist. Need and gets are two different matters. My blood pressure is a tad raisded too, at how some of you have have jumped to conclusions or even given serious specualtions based on the incomplete history and the localized picture provided. Could be nutritional defeciet, combined with stress and something on the matress--or just in the agarage air. new laundry detergents?
    Pleae, again see a Dematologist. BTW--I have see noting whatsoever i nthe post or the pics. that indicate DP--that is irresponsible in my books and I have botten "chastized" for perhaps less.
    What company do you work for? How old are you--I'm asking swilli not the sufferer.
    Willow gets-NY: I'd not want an opinion by you regarding my skin or my Bed bugs based on your post's Please do not take offense here! There is much mis-info out there--this is not the site for that Most of the time.
    NSo ... if you have beren a "lurker" to your credit ... it can get irritating ... so why not into yourself in the into section, familiarize yourself with the entire site if you ahve not yet: as keymaster has pointed out we have many FAQS: many lead to getting a competent PCO that knows Bed bugs.

This is a Bed bug forum run and assisted by mostly untrained but rather intelligent people. BTW NYC ... I saw the weather forcast. Low humidity--high heat (from natural sources--the sun) Good time for bed bugsd to dry out some.
    No wtat--is the only thing I know to be sure after having checked with numerous sites and info and discussing and reading (more sanely) rather than reading into an incomplete post.
    I had to go ... I saw the original post and was s otempted to opinionate befroe leavign: I so do wish I ahd as we have all to some degree (well most of us) perhaps added to this person's stress. Not good for the skil.
    From the pic I see thin pale skin, perhaps a need for some vitamines (if you perhaps bruise easily--see a Licsenced Nutritionalist for further details too).

BTW--I am also qualified in Ca. to work as a Nutritional Assistant:
    Learning more about Willow Day by day. That is my considered opinion, to all of what I've seen /read here. Long post(S) for sure—and it needed to be!
    I should have listened to my intuition and posted on this first so that all of this stress related coverage might have easily been avoided.
    I’mso soryy mint555 …Please follow my instructions before you give bed bugs a third thought—a second yet—but slso consider this:
    You have about 6 opinions as to what you MAY have … This, is stress provoking in itself and that is NOT something a person with any angry looking skin issues:
    Here is a 7th … it could even possibly be poison oak or poison Ivy—this … is taken in conjunciton with the near desperate post for you to find out
    WHAT’s eating or not eating you.
    A Dermatological sing in sheet can run pages long in terms of total physical history—do not skip any of the questions.
    Ice is the only thing that you should be using on this and for only a few minutes up to 4 times each hour. A few = 2 here for sure.
    Best to all and I hope much has been learned here.
    To sacre someone aready seemingly at odds end is one of the worst things you can do to a mind and to skin.

18. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 10:38:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Swilli,

Thanks for introducing yourself. I am curious why you are telling people not to apply frontline and bleach to human bodies. Did someone above recommend that? If you see that anywhere let me know, and I will delete it. This site is about giving reasonable information, and contacting good bed bug-experienced PCOs is recommended as the first step when one has bed bugs. (You happen to have come on a thread where someone may or may not have a pest-related problem, but I don't see anyone suggesting self-treatment here.)

On the other hand, if you're assuming we're clueless about bed bugs, please read our well-researched FAQs. They were produced with plenty of information obtained from entomologists and PCOS, and you may be surprised to find we're well beyond "dabbing frontline on ourselves" around here. I am not saying bad advice does not get bandied around from time to time, but most of us know what's what and set anyone who's confused straight.

Assume we're not idiots, and we'll welcome your input! Other PCOs do participate here and are welcomed.

Also, I think everyone was clear above that the diagnosis cannot be made on the photo alone, and that a doctor should be consulted.

19. swilli

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 11:02:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the posts. No assumption on the intelligence of people here. I think that these threads are a last resort for people that have tried everything. My statement about frontline and bleach, yes, I have seen threads on other sites that people have recommended that. I haven't seen it here but that was more of a pre-thought than a post thought. I am glad to see that everyone is trying really hard to offer viable reasons for this suffering. Good luck in your search to get healed. It has to be very un-nerving not knowing what is going on. Thanks for all of your feedback.

20. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 11:22:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Beach for bed bugs? NO No NO--only in the wash, and then--only as usual I say to all here with skin irritations from bed bugs or otherwise.
    So many talk of bleach on some other sites and in my local meanderings--it is not a viable Bed bug treatment. It is dangerous. I am known as the "stretch the point guy"
    No bleach, thanks swilli for being OK with it all. (Occaisonally) the people who come in here with a "bang" so to speak become soem of our best advisors. As a PCO your valid info on methods and reactions to methods is will needed--and that's not to say we are lacking on it: in this case, more is better after it is better thought out.
    I had almost been the first to do the inrto ... even though many at the time already had known me, for a while, before the intro feature was set up and or discovered by many. Like 15 or so have now used it: many just don't see it down there! A good treat in my opinion, save any undue stress the person with the skin problem/question--mint"
    I’m out--willow!

21. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 15:21:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought that swilli was a pest guy. Any of us that go back as least as far as I do with dealing with bed bugs can remember that a short time ago many PCOs had very little info on bed bugs and in fact most had never actually saw a bed bug live or dead. My PCO looked at a specimen that I had collected and told me that he did not think that it was a bed bug.
    I knew the answer and when I sent the specimen to Harvard they confirmed it.
    swilli I believe that many of the members of this site know as much if not more than most PCOs about bed bugs, DP, mites etc... we have put hundreds of hours of hard work in our war both physical and mental hours.
    WE ALL HAVE GOOD REASONS FOR ALL OF OUR EFFORTS,
    WE HAVE BEEN FIGHTING FOR OUR LIVES!

22. swilli

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 16:03:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Why do people think I am attacking? Nor have I mentioned anything about knowing more than anyone. Settle down Lt D. I am sorry that your PCO didn't know anything about bedbugs. You however don't have to send things off to Harvard to have them identified as most universities have local extension offices with on-staff entomologists. Consider this a closer source for you so that you needn't wait so long for your results. Thanks everyone, again. I am on your side, not against you. Just trying to help in any manner that I can.

23. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 16:15:39
    #

Login to Send PM

We can use the help, swilli. I'm glad we're on the same page now. A lot of people have had very bad PCO experiences, but there are many kind and outstanding professionals we've met as well.

24. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 19:04:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Swilli,

You're welcome and I am glad you're participating. I think people thought you were attacking because you were giving "pre-thoughts" as opposed to responding to what folks here were really saying in this thread. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I think we're all good now. We can always use more professionals with good bed bug experience joining in!

nobugs

25. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 3 2007 11:22:29
    #

Login to Send PM

swilli I welcome you too. Do not mind me human nature may make me suspicious and we can be a bunch of hard noses from time to time because of what we have all been through.

No need to "settle down" man I am at war. Good of you to mention the local entomology departments of universities because that will give people the option.
    My infest discovery is approaching a year and at that time that info was hard to come by or did not exist but Harvard's page did and Dr. Pollack did handle himself at that time professionally and I got my results from Dr. Pollack immediately.

swilli, I am curious can I ask a question?
    Have you personally had a bed bug infestation in your home?
    How long ago was it that you saw your first live bed bug?

I will end on this for now.
    Why do you think people think that you are attacking?

26. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 3 2007 11:27:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Add one thing.

swilli, I never said that my PCO didn't know anything about bedbugs.

I said

My PCO looked at a specimen that I had collected and told me that he did not think that it was a bed bug.

Please if try to quote me please try to get it right. This is important.

27. STL46

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 12 2011 10:52:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Help! I got horrible bites over my legs -- mainly thighs and knees -- plus my stomach, my groin area and a few on my butt a few months ago. Earlier in the summer I was plagued by chiggers from gardening, but those bites eventually went away. I went to a dermatologist who told me they weren't flea bites (my cats stay inside and didn't have fleas) but could possibly be bed bugs. She told me that my landlord needed to have pest control treat my apartment building. Pest control (PC) came over and searched for beg bug evidence and found NONE, but when the guy looked at my legs and all the bites, he said my case was "a crisis" from bed bugs.

My landlord paid a high price to have my apartment fumigated. We all had to vacate for 4 nights. The other three apartments in the building merely got a baseboard spraying. Two weeks later, the PC returned to look for bed bugs again. No bugs. He did say that any other type of bug in the apartment would not be able to live after the bed bug fumigation -- the chemicals are that powerful. As an added precaution, I did purchase from the PC a mattress and box spring beg bug covering and put those on the bed prior to fumigation. I noticed an improvement almost immediately. There were no more 3-5am itch attacks. I was told bed bugs are very active during that early time of the morning.

NOW. . .months later, I am suffering from a new attack from something that is biting me to death. Once again, the bites are on my stomach all the way down into the pubic area. There are even some around my nipples and a few on the butt area. It's the same nightmare all over again. I'm not wasting anymore money at the dermatologist because I want the BUG identified and killed instead of having to spend money on all kinds of anti-itch creams. I was told bed bugs can be brought into your home in someone's purse on on their shoe, etc. I could have picked them -- or something else -- up anywhere. How do you protect yourself from anywhere and everywhere?

It's the dead of winter in the Midwest. I always thought fleas (again, there are none on my cats) laid dormant in the winter months when it's freezing. There are certainly no chiggers. The PC has never found evidence of bedbugs in the apartment before or after the fumigation. WHAT COULD THIS BE?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,387 posts in 29,445 topics over 90 months by 12,706 of 19,969 members. Latest: hinfungyik, abq671, skittles1234