Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Help! I have mosquitos in my NYC apartment year round! Can't take it anymore!

(7 posts)
  1. parent

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 17:38:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Any help greatly appreciated...

None of our neighbors complain about the same. We have checked for standing water. We have put plastic over both our air conditioners. We have called exterminators who don't seem to offer any suggestions other then to bomb our apartment for like 5 thousand dollars.

We have a baby coming in March, and honestly, we might have to move if we can't figure this out by then!

Help!

(And thank you in advance~)

2. jrbtnyc

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 19:59:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Non-expert but asking for more information.

Do you actually see the mosquitoes and perhaps hear their high-pitched whine around your ears when you're trying to sleep; or do you just believe mosquitoes are present because you receive bites.

Have you caught some of the mosquitoes in a jar to get them confirmed as mosquitoes. Because there are some similar insects such as midges, which are harmless, you might mistake for mosquitoes.

They aren't "giant mosquitoes" are they? Craneflies (Tipulidae) look like giant mosquitoes but they're harmless.

Have you had a plumber check for standing water inside your walls, under your kitchen sink or floor or bathroom sink or floor, etc..

Are the mosquitoes more numerous during any particular season.

At some time when the mosquitoes are most numerous, could you close all doors and windows of various rooms for a day or two and see whether the mosquitoes become even more numerous in some particular room, which would thus suggest that room is where the mosquitoes are emerging from some sort of hiding place or breeding space.

3. parent

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Dec 5 2011 13:15:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your response.

Yes, we have confirmed they are mosquitos.

The plumber thing is a good call but right now it does not appear that we have any standing water anywhere. We have checked but yeah, maybe it is time to bring in a plumber. Can't imagine he's gonna find something we can't but that's at least something we have not done yet.

We get a lot in summer but we have them all year round. Had one last night. Again, driving us crazy.

We have tried to shut doors and locate their source but unfortunately it has not revealed any useful info.

Are there any experts in or around NYC for this kind of thing?

4. jrbtnyc

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Dec 5 2011 14:08:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Anecdote…there's a deli food bar at Lexington and 41st Street SE corner that has an upstairs area where you can sit and eat, which has a couple of decorative open garden fountains with goldfish in them but also various wet nooks and crannies. A couple of years ago in midwinter I was sitting in that area, actually trying to take a nap between shifts at two places where I was working, and I swear, heard the high-pitched mosquito whine a couple of times and could actually see skeeters though I didn't get bit that I was aware. But it meant I couldn't any longer aspire to take naps in that location! I had a long talk with a lady manager who was somewhat bemused by their status as a winter mosquito farm and promised to do something to fix that but as of last time I was in there the fountains were still there with standing water as before.

So anyway, I bet you have something hidden which as soon as you can find it and dry it out will solve your problem completely.

5. jrbtnyc

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 5:25:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Especially if you live in one of these older NYC buildings with decrepit pipe systems always springing leaks. A plumber will be able to narrow down the possible locations where you might have standing water, for instance under your bathtub would be an obvious place to check. The plumber, if smart, will know to check first the easiest places, places he can enter with the least need to open up walls or ceilings, and easiest to patch afterwards.

(To me it's always amazing that the plumbers I've had in my building, every time they have to open up a wall to fix something, then seal it absolutely so next time someone will just have to bust the wall open again. Obviously to me it would be much smarter to close the wall with a little screw-on patch or door which, next time, would be routine to open. But that's more short-run work, I guess, so they won't make the extra effort to alleviate future annoyance.)

Also, the plumber should check the apartment under yours looking for any water stains on their ceilings, which would provide an obvious clue where your leak might be.

6. parent

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 12:12:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for suggestions!

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 13:24:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Adult mosquitoes of Culex pipiens f. molestus Forskål , especially the one species in NYC that lives in water drainage systems outdoors and gets into homes, like to hibernate. You could always have both mosquitoes and bed bugs since they are not mutually exclusive. Many years ago I remember that someone came over and brought me mosquito samples from the apartments in the winter. It's an autogenous species and Culex species are typically bird feeders, but this one form likes mammals (like us) more.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,635 posts in 29,298 topics over 90 months by 12,637 of 19,885 members. Latest: leavemebe, Moxtr, djyang