I had suspected bed bugs, but I have finally found one and am totally freaking out. I live in the Miami/Broward area and I was wondering if anyone knows any reputable exterminators or companies that could assist me in getting rid of this problem. In addition, what steps should I take while waiting to hear back from these companies. I am so disgusted and hopeless at this point because I do not know where to even begin to solve this problem. Is it possible I brought them to work with me too? Could they also be in my car? Should I go straight to the cleaners or laundry mat and wash everything on 140 deg? Should I throw out all rugs and my furniture now? Please advise and Thank you.
First thing, don't panic and don't go making rash decisions, such as throwing a bunch of stuff out, without knowing what you're doing !
There are reputable pest professionals in your area so, if you need a pro this should not be an issue for you.
Please consider the following steps/questions:
1. Learn more about bed bugs as this will help you in many ways including how to pick the right professional service for YOU !
2. You can learn more about bed bugs by visiting the FAQs available on this site and the other learning tools here. Additionally, either search the article "over 201 things to know about bed bugs" or get it off the articles page of my website, it's free.
3. Do you know how you may have gotten bed bugs in your home ?
4. Do you have an apartment, condo or sfh?
5. It is possible that people can carry bed bugs to/from work with them but there are parameters/contingencies that need to be considered and I would need to aks you a number of questions.
6. How long has this been going on at your home? How many people live there with you? Who is being bitten? How did you discover that you had bed bugs?
Please advise of any additional questions or concerns.
Hope this helps ! paul b.
First things first if possible please take a picture and post a link online.
You would be amazed at how many (about 75%) of all suspected bedbugs are in fact not bedbugs.
Once it has been confirmed we can start looking at next steps but its important to get off on the correct footing and that's always confirm first and plan second.
Bed Bugs Limited
Yes, correct, let's make sure you actually have bed bugs for sure ! Thansk DC ! ! !
Try not to panic - everyone who's been on this site knows EXACTLY how you feel!! It's important to try to breathe and not do anything until you've figured out what exactly what is going on. When we had our initial infestation that's exactly what we did - picked up the mattress, boxspring and carried it through the house outside cause we were so grossed out - BAD IDEA!!!! It's the worse feeling in the world and then you have to wait for someone to come to your house - take the advice of the two gentlemen who posted above - it's probably the worse thing that I've ever dealt with - but on a mental level, not really the actual get rid of the bugs.
Hang in there - trust me you can get through this
Thank you all for your prompt responses. I killed the bug and my boyfriend took it to an exterminator's place and they advised him that it was in fact a bed bug. I have welts and little blood marks all over sheets and am also positive that I know who brought them into my house. I took a picture of the bug but it was with my phone and it was really hard to get a clear picture. I live in an apartment and am not sure if it has spread to unit next door or above me. I have contacted local pest companies and have someone coming out today. I am trying not to make rash decisions and not throw any/everything out.
You must log in to post.