(6 posts)
  1. tracyhere

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Dec 14 2015 16:57:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I had a heat treatment done by a company in Charleston, SC. 2 days after the treatment, my family finds 3 alive adult sized bed bugs in the area that was our original "ground zero."

We called the PCO Co. and their justification was that this IS NORMAL! That the heat will not penetrate all of the house, especially in cracks in the walls and duct-work and the "silica" (diatomaceous earth) takes up to a month to kill at the nest.

Pardon my french, but doesn't this sound like bull s**t?

I'm trying to get some verification that what they said isn't true from others before I go back to the PCO and demand they redo the heat treatment.

Thank you for your help,
    Tracy

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Dec 14 2015 17:16:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been doing this for five years and I think heat treatments are sometimes oversold regarding their effectiveness. Did they install a monitoring system for you?

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. tracyhere

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Dec 14 2015 17:24:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. They have a follow up inspection at +30 days using a bed bug detecting dog.

Do you think that it was too high of an expectation that the bed bugs in the walls would be killed or do you think this was PCO based error?

What would you do if you were me?

Thanks,
    Tracy

4. thebugsgomarching

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Dec 14 2015 18:14:14
    #

Login to Send PM

We have yet to get treatment (found one adult 8 weeks ago, and nothing else after), but the pco we brought in for inspection with a canine also does heat treatment.
    She told us straight up that the heat is effective, but that she regularly will get live adults until about 1 week out. She said that they are affected by the heat and don't reproduce at that point. BUT, to be on the safe side they spray soy based residuals along every seam of each room. It's supposed to destroy their protective wax??

Anyway, I believed what she said. They are a small company, but in an area with a high incidence of these pests! She said they have only had to repeat treatment at 30 days in 2 heavily infested homes.

5. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Dec 14 2015 18:59:49
    #

Login to Send PM

From what I understand, it sometimes depends on the type of heat treatment equipment that's being used and the construction of the house. Bugs will flee the heat and look for cool spots. If a house is on a slab, it's conceivable that the bugs could retreat to a cold joint/expansion joint. I don't use heat. Liquid chemical treatments also have their limitations at time. It's like asking if residual pesticides always work for bedbugs. If you hit them directly, yes it can kill them. But it's also not uncommon to see an uptick in activity after a chemical application. Everything is a tool.

6. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Dec 14 2015 20:23:04
    #

Login to Send PM

thebugsgomarching - 2 hours ago  » 
    We have yet to get treatment (found one adult 8 weeks ago, and nothing else after), but the pco we brought in for inspection with a canine also does heat treatment.
    She told us straight up that the heat is effective, but that she regularly will get live adults until about 1 week out. She said that they are affected by the heat and don't reproduce at that point. BUT, to be on the safe side they spray soy based residuals along every seam of each room. It's supposed to destroy their protective wax??
    Anyway, I believed what she said. They are a small company, but in an area with a high incidence of these pests! She said they have only had to repeat treatment at 30 days in 2 heavily infested homes.

That's a bunch on nonsense their feeding you.

Dead is dead - If you see bugs after thermal it failed, period.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,613 posts in 45,832 topics over 139 months by 20,182 of 20,985 members. Latest: bbuganxiety, Paseorent, allspiceberry143