Heat treatment prep

(4 posts)
  1. beachbum

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Sep 29 2017 15:09:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I am having the heat treatment done sometime next week but first I want to declutter my house. The PCO said that moving things around would not disturb them but I am concerned since they are only treating three rooms in the house and not the entire house. There is a 60 day warranty so my goal was to declutter the floor they are treating and then the rest of the house the next weekend so if any are hiding, they will come out to find us so we can kill them. Thoughts? Sorry I am freaking out and want to do this right.

2. IckIck

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 30 2017 21:49:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Beachbum,

I don't think I know the answer to your question, but I'll just share a couple of thoughts. First, are they doing any follow up with chemicals? We did heat treatment followed by a chemical treatment around the baseboards of the house, which gave me a little piece of mind about having additional protection for any survivors. Second, when I was decluttering during prep, I felt comfortable throwing things away (in secure garbage bags) but things I wanted to donate or keep in other rooms I didn't want to move because I was afraid of spreading bugs or eggs to other rooms. So I did sort through items, but bought a bunch of $1 laundry baskets and mesh bags at the dollar store (at the suggestion of another bed bugger), and put the sorted items in these baskets and bags in the center of each room. That way I knew they were heat treated and after the treatment was over I was able to put things in order more quickly. Anything I donated, I still put through the dryer or hot-box an additional time, but I didn't worry about spreading bugs through the house. I hope this is helpful. It can be a silver lining of bedbugs that it forces you to address clutter, but the prep is a lot of work. Another tip: I used clear contractor's bags for some things - they are quite strong and hold a lot, and you can see what's in there. Good luck!

3. beachbum

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 2 2017 8:47:09
    #

Login to Send PM

IckIck, thank you for replying. They did not say anything about a chemical treatment follow up but I am calling them today to find out. If they don't do it, then I am not sure what I will do. They have good ratings and the guy who came has been doing this for about 13 years so I assume they are knowledgeable.

As far as decluttering, we started this weekend and boy did we get a ton out of the house! I did not move anything from one room to another and only took things out that were in trash bags. I also put DE down on the baseboards in case they did try to move from room to room.

Did your treatment work? Are you bug free? I think I see so many horror stories on here that I get worried it won't work.

4. IckIck

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Oct 6 2017 22:23:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Beachbum,

We are still in the watchful waiting phase. I remain paranoid. We had what I think was only a few bugs, and caught them early (we got them from a neighbor's kid who played with mine - we knew they had bugs for a week before I got bit, so we were able to identify the problem and act right away). We had to wait two weeks for heat treatment, and during that time, I got one or two bites every night. Since the treatment, I have had a couple of instances where I had bites and thought they were from a straggler bug. I have never been able to find evidence of bugs post-heat, whereas before our treatment I did find two bugs, one dead and one alive. The problem with our situation is that after the treatment, we traveled on and off over the remaining six weeks of the summer, which meant we did not have a long enough stretch where we were in the house sleeping night after night with no bites for me to feel we were in the clear. We have now been home long enough that I do feel increasingly more secure that we got them all, but like you I have read the horror stories on this site and so continue to worry and take precautions. However I did speak to the PCO who was treating my neighbor's house, and he was reassuring that the heat should have gotten them all. I went through all the rooms in my house six hours after the treatment and every room was still sauna-hot. The one live bug I'd left in a ziplock bag was dead. Anyway, they did spray a residual pesticide around the baseboards, and our PCO said it remains effective for about three months (this varies depending on which chemical you use). I will definitely post when I feel we are definitely bug free. I hope you will be soon too!
    IckIck

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,621 posts in 43,065 topics over 129 months by 18,896 of 19,457 members. Latest: Bugtimore, Paranoid34, terrifieddd