Heat Treatment Prep(6 posts)
I'm going to do heat treatment to fix tis issue, but is m PCO giving me the full disclosure on prep? I emailed asking if heat will damage my electronics, as I read that hard drives may be fried by the heat, and all the lady said was "Follow the instructions." I won't even be there when the PCO gets there, so I can't talk this over with them at that time. Here are my instructions. Is it enough to follow just these?
1) don't remove infested materials
2) remove people/pets
3) remove fire extinguishers, family heirlooms, heat susceptible ingredients, easily melted materials, and heat sensitive equipment including but not limited to:
* candles, lipsticks, oil paintings, acrylics, paintings, pictures, crayons, paraffin wax, cosmetics, picture frames, canning wax and art objects including wooden art objects, and handcrafts assembled with hot melt glue.
* indoor plants
* fruits and veggies
* chocolates, candy, medicine, and vitamins
* carbonated beverages and food products with artificial sweetener
* remote controls, audio & videotapes, records, undeveloped photo materials and related chemicals
* aerosol cans and compressed gases
* flammable or combustible chemical compounds
* cigarette lighters and any valuable items that may be damaged by temps ranging between 140-150.
... (not relevant info)
7) electrical equipment must be powered down and unplugged from the wall
10) stringed instruments may be detuned by the heat
Ok so my basic concerns are, will my laptop and the 3 desktop computers here be damaged? I heard hard drives get fried by heat. Also what about an amplifier for music? I also have a CRT television as well as a couple of LCD televisions, and 3 LCD computer monitors. Do DVDs or CDs get damaged by heat? I also assume that my girlfriend's $6,000 violin will have to be removed--can't chance that. She also has an oboe which I also assume must be removed.
What do we do with all the stuff we remove? How do we make sure it won't reintroduce bed bugs? If I bag it with vapor strips, will the vapor strips put a chemical residue on our things? If not, how sure are you (would you be confident enough to lick an item that treated with vapor)?
ALSO, we (foolishly) primed one wall last night, and the treatment is in a few days. Will the primer we put down bubble up or peel due to the heat?
Wish I could answer all your questions...All I can say personally is that I ran all my CDs and DVDs through my PackTite (getting it up to 120-125 degrees F for at least an hour) and none of them were damaged at all. Also I ran my guitar amplifiers through the PackTite with no damage. This was my experience, at least.
Here are a set of general guidelines I use for thermal situations.
Beds must be striped and linens washed and dried on high for half hour or
more before being returned.
Valuable Items like cash and jewelry should not be left about.
Unplug items from outlets and remove all outlet covers and switch plates.
Turn off any alarms sprinkler or other fire suppression systems.
Please remove the following items from the premises, all medications (prescriptions and over the counter) and cosmetics.
All alcohol, (including beer) vinegars and candles as well as other wax items can be put in the fridge or removed.
Anything that may react under pressure for example ammunition, guns, fire extinguishers, aerosols, canned soda, fireworks, perfumes/colognes & oxygen tanks, must be removed.
Overall clutter should be reduced and as much as possible items should be away from walls. Please note that during the treatment some items may need to be moved as indicated by monitoring heat sensors which are placed throughout.
Following treatment we require bed bug proof mattress and box spring
encasements on all beds which are available from at discount rates.
What you want to be sure to do at a minimum is to make sure that all your electronics are completely unplugged (I would remove the cables but that's me). Also if there are batteries these should be removed. When I was thinking about this, I planned to be sure I had all my data backed to a portable drive and that was going with me. But your setup sounds more expensive and elaborate than mine.
I don't think that a non-moving computer that is sitting in a high ambient temperature is necessary at that much risk. Remember that the thermal treating staff enter the heated spaces to monitor their progress. It is hot but not *that* hot. Heat usually kills electronics like laptops when all their parts are moving. Or else electronics that travelled in uncooled transport in the hotter parts of the world would be doomed.
Oh, and I'm going to repeat about the batteries. Inspection and wiping them down with a contact killer shouldn't be a problem. You might want to check to see what your CPU battery -- if these still exist -- is made of also. But I don't think the CPU battery is much of an issue either.
I am getting my apartment heat treated on Friday and I have a 55 inch flat screen tv and I live on the 3rd floor so its hard to move. Should I take precautions and move it anyway? They said it will be up to 120 degrees for like 10 hours.
Since you responded to an old post you may not get an answer to your question. I would create a new thread. I'm interested to hear what others suggest. Good luck.
You must log in to post.