(2 posts)
  1. BuggingForInformation

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Nov 12 2017 13:32:56
    #

Login to Send PM

So,

I'm going to record my experience hiring a PCO to heat treat for Carpet Beetles. There are no posts that deal with getting rid of Carpet Beetles on this forum, but they are just as difficult, if not, more difficult to get rid of than bed bugs. Also, I have gained a lot of info from this collective bunch, so I feel obliged to share my own experiences. I have chosen this because I have an infant daughter, and dousing my apartment with pesticides hasn't worked in the past, nor do I want to do this to her.

I have been battling carpet beetles for five years. I have brought it to numerous apartments, and despite my attempts to put all my clothes through the highest setting in a dryer before moving, they follow me everywhere. So I believe they are hiding out in my belongings and not just my clothes. I got them from Brooklyn, and I wonder if they are more vicious because they are from there. They keep biting my clothes, and now are into my baby's clothes. My husband and I fight all the time because he thinks I'm imagining them but there are constant holes in all of our clothes. For whatever reason, they love our thin cotton clothes the best. I have thrown away many loved pieces. It's been a lonely struggle. I would not do heat treatment for my apartment unless I was moving. From what I understand, heat treating an apartment is difficult because the bugs could just easily move to the next apartment. I am doing heat treatment now because we are moving, and all our stuff will be consolidated into a UHaul.

As for the UHaul, I've been advised to rent the largest UHaul I can. I have rented their 26 feet truck. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment. If I lived in a bigger space, I would probably rent a container (so like a 60 foot pod that gets delivered to you). The thing that is essential to successful heat treatment, from what I understand, is to have air flow around your boxes. So it's not going to work if everything is crammed in. The larger the space, the more chances of success you will have.

Also, I am not going to bring my clothes into the UHaul. The most difficult thing to penetrate is a stack of clothes, so instead, I am going to put all my clothes through the dryer, seal it into a ziploc, and bring separately in a car. Stuff like books and storage, I am going to seal into a ziploc then box (and seal all of the openings with tape so they can't get out) and just store for years (eventually, after 3 years, they should die).

I have tried insecticide (didn't work, they came back), diatomaceous earth (creates allergies in husband even though I only dusted underneath baseboards and cupboards we don't use and also, not healthy for your lungs, which is why I refrained from using silica gel), and heat treated them myself buying the Zapp Bug Room (do not recommend. As you treat your belongings in batches, they could just easily crawl into your "sanitized" batch. Also, it is very difficult to ensure there are no cold spots, and I find the fan very weak).

I am going with a PCO that does heat treatment for bed bugs. He has no experience in Carpet Beetle. It's full on winter with snow and ice and temperatures around 10 F, but PCO said it's fine because the heater will heat at a high temp. I am using Propane heating. This is not the best, but I don't have very many options. I am going to pack my belongings in plastic tubs (as per PC) into a UHaul before my move to a new apartment and he's going to take it over from there. For my old apartment, I am hiring a separate PCO to spray insecticide, but I will be gone by then, so it will not affect me or baby.

I consulted a scientist, because I was worried about VOCs and toxic dust that may emerge from heating plastics at high temperatures. Again, I'm concerned about creating a non-toxic environment for my baby. She told me to ventilate like crazy after treatment (so open doors) and to wipe down all surfaces with soap and water after the treatment and I should be fine.

I will keep you posted on my experience.

2. BuggingForInformation

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Nov 12 2017 13:37:12
    #

Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,823 posts in 43,336 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7