Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Heat treatment cost? And electricity use?

(15 posts)
  1. futureBBmom

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 2:22:21
    #

Login to Send PM

My house is probably 1,200 square foot ground level with a 990 square foot basement. Does anyone know about what that would run? My wiring probably couldn't handle the pull from those heaters. Do they need to use your electricity or do they use a generator? Do they need electricity if it's done with propane?

2. MoreThanOnceBitten

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 7:37:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but from what I've read, thermal treatments use either propane heaters or have their own trucks with generators that run their heating units. I don't think they plug into your wall outlet or anything.

As far as cost, it depends on where you live. I was given a range of price from a place in Indianapolis of 2000-4000 dollars depending on the size of your home. I imagine a smallish house would be on the low end of that. My house isn't much bigger than yours, maybe about 1400 square feet with no basement, I'm on a slab. So I figured mine would run about 2000-2500.

When I added up the cost of getting a conventional treatment, with the man hours of prep (thermal takes prep, but much less) and the possible return visits, vs. thermal etc, I decided the price really wasn't that much different.

I don't have a confirmed case of BBs so I haven't gotten anything yet, but that's what I found out so far. Others with more expertise can weigh in of course.

3. mindkites

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 9:03:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm in Columbus, OH. My house if 1400 sq ft, with basement. I believe they run the power off of their truck because they said they had to bring a large cord in through the window. Also, they don't heat the basement because being underground and block it's impossible to get it to the correct temperature and hold it. That's treated chemically. I was quoted 2400 plus tax.

4. futureBBmom

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 12:09:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much you guys! I was trying to get an idea so that I'd know if it was even worth calling anyone for a quote. I was afraid it was running way more than that. Oh I wish they did basements too because we are starting into really hot weather and I'll bet those little buggers will head there to keep cool.

You don't happen to know if heat treatment can damage wiring do you? I'm a little nervous about my old wiring if I do this. My son is worried about his computer and flat screen TV.

5. MoreThanOnceBitten

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 15:00:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know about wiring. I've read that thermal needs to be done "correctly" to be effective and SAFE. Research the person that is doing it and make sure they have some experience in keeping the temperature high enough but not too high. There is a risk to damage in your home, but I felt if I have them its worth the risk to not have to go through multiple chemicals and all the bagging etc.

As far as basements, I have no idea, but you could be right about them escaping there. That is why you would need chemicals there.

Again, no expert, just what I have read on these boards and other places.

There are people on here that have had great success with thermal and some others not to much. I imagine it depends on the firm that is doing it and the situation.

The guy that quoted to me about the thermal was very nice and the only PCO I called that didn't want to get me to sign a contract first and get my money. This guy spoke like the guys on here, making sure I don't jump until I know if I have them, seemed concerned. If you are in Ohio, this firm goes there too. They have been in business a long time and were on teh recommended list I got linked to from here. I can't remember the name of it, but was something like Bugfree or something. If you want to the firm's name, PM me. I don't know if we can give firms names on here or not.

Thanks

6. MoreThanOnceBitten

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 15:02:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh and as far as computer and flat screen, they tell you to take things out that might be damaged by the heat, but my guy said they wrap tv's etc in something that keeps them safe.

Just passing along what this PCO said. If I had a laptop i would probably remove it from the place, making sure to check it well. If you have a bad infestation I would make sure you checked it well before you brought it back in though.

7. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 15:14:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Good thermal providers will come out to survey the residence to be treated. They should do a walk through in which the thermal tech will walk through the home with you to assess everything they need to know.

I had my one bedroom apartment unit treated; none of the other apartments in the four plex I live in were treated. In the throes of anxiety related to bed bugs, you would think that not treating all four units would mean that the bugs would retreat to the cooler adjacent apartments.

But with a good thermal provider, you're paying for the expertise they have at knowing exactly how quickly to raise the temp so that the bugs don't flee to cooler places.

Providers vary in how they heat a structure; many use a variety of methods, but they generally bring their own power sources.

The thermal provider will look at the television and the computer and tell you how those should be handled. It's important to remember that bed bugs very seldom harbor in electronics except in cases of infestations where the numbers of bed bugs are truly epic. Even then, it's rare.

8. futureBBmom

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 15:15:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh poo! I just got knocked out of the ball park for heat treatment as an option. I am in southeast Nebraska, there isn't a lot of places that will come here. I got a quote from one of them a little bit ago. They would treat the ground floor and basement for $5,200. (sigh) I don't have that much. Their guarantee is only for 30 days, that doesn't seem very long for such an expensive treatment. It took me 60 days to even really confirm that I had them in the first place.

9. MoreThanOnceBitten

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 15:23:00
    #

Login to Send PM

30 day warranty is pretty standard on a heat treatment. But yeah for your size of house 5200 is a lot of money. I don't know for sure what mine is since I haven't gotten that far yet, but I don't think it would be that much. Of course I have someone only about 50 miles away that will come here.

Sorry to hear that! Is there anywhere close that does Vikane? At that price, you could get Vikane treatment . (I know next to NOTHING about Vikane except that I know its considered more pricy than thermal.

10. MoreThanOnceBitten

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 15:24:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe that price is for thermal and chemical because of the basement? that might make more sense on the price. Plus if they do have to travel that far to get to you?

11. futureBBmom

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 16:10:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes I figured the basement would be a problem with the price. Believe me if I had the money I would do heat without thinking twice. If my vehicle was worth that much I'd sell it to pay for the treatment. Vikane might be a better choice than heat but again that darn cost comes in. (sigh)

I'd just go with spray but it really doesn't sound like it truly works. How can a stupid little bug cause so many problems. Gawd it's just a bug! Why can't they come up with a spray that will actually get them. Even roaches aren't this hard to get rid of.

12. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 16:15:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Chemical treatment can be effective if you get a professional who knows bed bugs and knows what he or she is doing. Plenty of people on these boards have had their bed bug problems solved with chemical treatments.

The key thing is doing your research and finding a PCO who knows bed bugs. Starting with a PCO who knows bed bugs from the get go is the single most important thing you can do to make sure you eliminate the infestation safely and effectively for the lowest overall cost.

13. MoreThanOnceBitten

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 16:51:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Chemical works, but it takes quite a bit more work on your part, but can work fine if done properly as buggyinsocal said.

From what I've read on here of course. I personally could not imagine doing the chemical in my instance because of the amount of washing, etc, I would have to do.

You need to weigh the price of chemical, plus the things you will have to wash, plus the things that might be ruined by washing or other things you might need to replace with thermal price. You might end up finding it closer than you think. However, at 5200 I don't know.

Good luck to you!

14. futureBBmom

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 18:57:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Chemical would have been the route I would have gone but there isn't anyone actually in this area that I could honestly say is that experienced with bed bugs. And with the clutter I have in my basement (oh yeah tons of junk, nothing but a storage pile), I don't think I could ever get them chemically if they ever got into that basement. I am frantically trying to find someone to help me haul a lot of this stuff out and pitch it. Some of those boxes have stuff in it that would explode with heat and I won't know where it is until I clear it out.

Yes I figured by the time I add mileage on top of their fee, and yes add the cost of replacing furniture and whatever else I'd need to throw out, and washing the tons of clothes that we have, then I'd be better off going straight to heat. But to come up with that much money at one time is very rough.

This company from out of town that I talked to is going to come down and look next week and see what they can do for me to give me a better deal. I am SO GRATEFUL to them for that! I broke down in tears when the guy called me back and told me that. I will let you know what happens.

I do pray I can do this. I absolutely cannot sleep knowing that they are going to be crawling on me at night. I know it's silly but I have such a fear of bugs.

15. MoreThanOnceBitten

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 19:53:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope they work with you. I know what you mean about doing all the washing etc. i couldnt imagine doing all that. My house is small but pretty full. Luckily my garage is detached so I dont worry about it too much. i know I will have to do some moving around of stuff to get treated. Again, I dont have proof of BBs at this point, but I have my passive monitors out. We will see how it goes! I hope it goes ok for you, keep us posted!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,116 posts in 28,293 topics over 87 months by 12,191 of 19,345 members. Latest: sera143, falc, falc2
Site Meter