Heat treatment 7 days ago, woke up yesterday+today w/ bites

(23 posts)
  1. Chucklehead

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 2 2017 11:07:16
    #

Login to Send PM

First off, let me state that I am a condo OWNER, so the easy fix of just moving out of the building isn't easy at all. It is a 12 year old building, with maybe 50 units, and a powerful HVAC system throughout. I share one wall with one neighbor, and the other walls are either to the hallway or outside. I had heat treatment in my apartment 7 days ago. the company also Heated my neighbors apartment free of charge, due to the 90 day warranty and not wanting the bugs to just move to the next apartment and then come back. They said that buildings built within the last 20 years have enough insulation between my ceiling and the upstairs neighbors floor that the bed bugs won't travel upstairs, so they didn't heat treat upstairs.

The PCO informed me that there can be "dead bugs walking," bugs that can still bite, but can't reproduce, for up to 2 weeks. I woke up yesterday with a fresh line of bites on my chest (I slept in a tank top), and immediately started freaking. I called the PCO and they assured me this was from the "dead bugs walking."

I woke up today with bites on my right ring finger (I slept in sweatpants and a long sleeve) and I'm FREAKING OUT and am having doubts about the effectiveness of the treatment.

Can anyone shed some light on the "dead bugs walking," if they are even a thing? I was informed this might happen before the treatment, and there is a 90 day warranty, so I don't think the company is trying to scam me, but everything I've read on the forum indicates that if you are getting bit after heat treatment, you still have a problem.

I WOULDNT WISH THIS UPON MY WORST ENEMY. PLEASE HELP

2. Tim m

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 2 2017 11:46:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I had my heat treatment on the 18th and a border spray. I'm still getting the random bites my pco said the same thing about walking dead bugs.

3. Tim m

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 2 2017 11:51:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry forgot to add they could be old bites just with a delayed reaction some people will get bit and can take up to 21 days to react to the bites.

4. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 2 2017 11:53:04
    #

Login to Send PM

After reading your post, I went to the interwebs... I found quite a few articles on the topic. Many agree that the ones you see are, in fact, on the way to death. They were exposed to less heat, which 'lethally wounded' them, but didn't 'immediately kill' them. They said this can be due to clutter, or the bugs trying to run and hide, but that they will die. Others said that sometimes they are new, reintroduced bugs, or they weren't in the area that was heated to begin with. They do all seem to agree that if you're still seeing them alive after 7-10 days, you should call back and ask for another heat treatment right away.

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
  5. Chucklehead

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 2 2017 12:22:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Tim. I feel that I react to the bug bites pretty quickly. Yesterday's chest bites came after a night sleeping in a tank top, and today's hand bites came after sleeping in long sleeves and sweatpants. For the few days prior to heat treatment, I was sleeping in sweats and long sleeve shits and my feet were DESTROYED. The anicdotal evidence leads me to believe my reactions are fast, and these are fresh bites. I looks at some of your previous posts/responses and it seems that we are in very similar situations. I hope to hear your problem is resolved quickly, I will stay tuned.

Psychologically, thank you for providing this info. Could you please supply me with links to these articles? They were extensive with the treatment, and like I said, they did the neighboring condo at the same time. What my PCO said specifically:
    "I understand you freaking out. Please refer to the document “Before and After”. This is common. We call them “dead bugs walking” and although they can bite, their central nervous system has been destroyed making them unable to reproduce. The bugs die through disintegration and by damaging their DNA. We’ve seen this for up to 19 days although it’s not common. Typically at 2 weeks it ends but we can usually see them since they’re disoriented."

Again, I don't think they are trying to give me the run around, because they have a 90 day warranty, but up to 19 days?!?!? That sure is a long time.

What's crazy is that I have a roommate, and he doesn't get affected by this AT ALL! zero bites for him! It's crazy!

If this is a reinfestation, then hopefully a second heat treatment will work. I don't want to chemical treatment because I have a dog that loves to lick everything. my 2 mattresses are $4k temperpedic, each purchased within the last 4 years, and my couch is a 7 piece sectional totaling roughly 3.5k, so throwing out furniture is the last thing I want to do.

Worst thing is, I'm trying to date this new girl in my life, but I'm scared to bring her to my house now! And I don't want to tell her why because I know I would freak if I was in her shoes

If I ever find the genie in the bottle, I now officially know what my first wish will be. KILL ALL BED BUGS!!

6. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 2 2017 12:54:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi!

One I saw was from pctonline, the tech talk section dated 12/2014... another was from UKY .edu, their entomology department. (I don't know if I'm allowed to link other sites here).

7. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 2 2017 12:56:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Side note- your roommate is prob being bitten, and oh how I'd love to be like him/her. My husband is the same: zero reaction from bites. I'm jealous, in a way, because the evidence is all over my skin, but then again, without my allergic like reactions, we would have never caught the problem until it was way out of control.

8. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 2 2017 12:59:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Chucklehead - 34 minutes ago  » 

Worst thing is, I'm trying to date this new girl in my life, but I'm scared to bring her to my house now! And I don't want to tell her why because I know I would freak if I was in her shoes

Plus side: she will think you're a perfect gentleman, not trying to invite her to a night cap too soon. Could work to your benefit if you do hit it off, because long run: we like gentlemen. 🙂

9. Chucklehead

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Sep 3 2017 8:42:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I found three live baby carpet beetles yesterday. Could it be possible I have an infestation of both (even though I have a newish place with no carpets lol.) and from research I've gathered, shouldn't the heat treatment also kill the carpet beetle larvae? While bed bug bites and carpet beatle reactions look similar, I seem to get the "bites" while sleeping, and carpet Beatles don't feed on humans, so why would they crawl on me? This is awful

10. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Sep 3 2017 13:19:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Carpet beetles will live anywhere with natural fabrics- they love wool, cotton, etc. Adults expand their diet to other things, like pollen from flowers, pet dander, and also natural fibers. So, they don't need carpets- I had a 'nest' so to speak in a wingback chair. I pulled the stuffing back, where the back and side met while looking for BB's, and found a carpet beetle haven. The original carpet beetle 'infestation' was in my car- I kept seeing weird black things on the headliner and floor, and upon closer inspection they were teeny beetles. I guess one got on me, I sat on the chair, and the rest is history. And you're correct that they don't bite, but their little hairs can cause a reaction on the skin. Mine look similar to the BB's, but it's always in a line where the beetle walked.

11. Chucklehead

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Sep 3 2017 13:41:12
    #

Login to Send PM

psychologically_messed_up - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Carpet beetles will live anywhere with natural fabrics- they love wool, cotton, etc. Adults expand their diet to other things, like pollen from flowers, pet dander, and also natural fibers. So, they don't need carpets- I had a 'nest' so to speak in a wingback chair. I pulled the stuffing back, where the back and side met while looking for BB's, and found a carpet beetle haven. The original carpet beetle 'infestation' was in my car- I kept seeing weird black things on the headliner and floor, and upon closer inspection they were teeny beetles. I guess one got on me, I sat on the chair, and the rest is history. And you're correct that they don't bite, but their little hairs can cause a reaction on the skin. Mine look similar to the BB's, but it's always in a line where the beetle walked.

Psychologically,

First off, I want to thank you for providing your knowledge and experience so promptly. I really appreciate it, and it really helps me feel a little more..... normal

When you found the infestation in your car, what did you do? I'm assuming you detailed it?

When you found the CB haven, did you also have a BB problem? Or were the BB a false identification?

Last night I stayed at a friends, but the night before I received a singular bite on my finger (wearing long sleeves and sweats). The night before that (night 6 post heat treatment) is when I had my first post treatment bites. THESE are in a line 5(five welts) very closely grouped together on my chest (wore a tank top to bed.) I just wonder that if this line was from the CB, then wouldnt it be longer, like it crawls on me and then crawls off? Why would this line be so isolated?

I have a dog that sheds pretty frequently, so these little buggers have fresh hairs to eat every day

As I've stated before, since the heat treatment, I've spotted 1 dead BB, 1 dead CB larvae, and 3 live CB, making the hardest part right now not knowing if I have a post treatment CB problem, BBproblem, or both

One of the few times I wish I wasn't my own landlord!

12. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Sep 3 2017 17:56:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi again!

So, the carpet beetles were early summer, prior to admitting I had a BB problem (I had seen a few bugs while cleaning but couldn't admit it to myself.... that's another story lol). After extensive research, I completely vacuumed the truck, and covered it in borax. After 24h, I vacuumed that, then used my household carpet shampooer with attachments and shampooed the whole inside. And, of course, I picked the hottest day of summer for all this. Can we all say heat stroke?? Lol but after about a week, they were gone from the car.

When I found them in the chair was after self treatment of the BB's, when I was in one of my 'ill search every inch of this house and they will all die' moods. I was putting DE down, and that wingback chair is my husbands video game chair, so I figured it may have an issue due to the amount of time he spends sitting in it. I was right- I found the beetles and their whole extended family in the stuffing, as well as some 5th instars and eggs and 1st instars in various folds. I totally doused the chair in 91% isopropyl alcohol (hubby was PISSED- whoops), then vacuumed it well and DE'd it like crazy. I also put Vaseline on the legs. That was a few weeks ago- I haven't seen any live bugs/beetles since, and I check daily. But there was def no false ID to either bug. I don't know which came first, CB or BB, but we had both and are slowly emerging on the other side. I couldn't afford a professional- all treatments were done by me, so I'm hoping it 'sticks' ya know??

Another poster asked if there was any correlation to an increase in fruit flies with bed bugs.... I haven't been given a definitive answer on that, but I do know that, along with the CB/BB, I've had more fruit flies in my house this summer than ever before and I've lived here for almost a decade (single family, detached). It's been the buggy summer from hell.

13. Chucklehead

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Sep 3 2017 21:43:09
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE:

Today, day 8 post treatment, I found a LIVE bed bug in my roommates room, just chilling in the corner behind his bed. He looked maybe half full, but was moving very slowly and had slow responses. Could this be the sign of a dead bug walking? I picked it up with tweezers and put it in a glass, then drowned that little fucker in rubbing alcohol. No signs in my room even tho I'm the one getting reactions

ALSO, I found a group of 30 carpet beatle larvae in the cabinet where we keep the dog food. I vacuumed and sanitized, as well as the cabinets and drawers around that area.

So it's official, both are a problem. And now I'm even more nervous about this 2 weeks waiting period to allow the "dead bugs walking" to die off. UGH

14. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Sep 3 2017 22:33:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess now we know your roommate def does NOT react to bites. I can't imagine it would be there, alone, and hasn't bit him. 😧

15. Chucklehead

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 9 2017 17:52:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: was just sitting on my couch, and out of the corner of my eye I saw something crawling up my shirt.... guess what it was :cry: :cry: today is day 14 since the heat treatment

16. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 9 2017 19:13:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I am sorry this is so hard. I did not have heat treatment but I've had three chemical treatments and I am still having issues as well. Bites frequently. Caught one freshly fed nymph a week ago then today saw a bug running outside my bathroom in the middle of the day! It was very thin so I'm hoping it's nervous system was affected by the chemicals and it was running around in a death frenzy!! Until today we never saw any outside the original infested bedroom.

I had my first treatment 35 days ago. I want to be done! So although we had different treatment I just wanted to say I feel your pain!

17. Chucklehead

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 9 2017 23:01:37
    #

Login to Send PM

So I just emailed my PCO, and he forwarded me to his boss. The boss told me not to worry and review the before and after packet, which he re sent me. The version he sent me was significantly different than the original, stating that the bugs could die in 3-4 weeks, and I should not be worried with bites showing up for up to 30 days! Then told me that if after a month I still have issues they'll come back. Well the original document says 1-2 weeks and 14 days. THESE TIMES ARE EVEN HIGHLIGHTED IN BOLD. I replied with screen shots of the difference between the 2 documents, and that it's unacceptable and I require an immediate second treatment. I don't want this to get nasty, but if he resists, I won't hesitate to threaten legal action.

18. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 9 2017 23:14:54
    #

Login to Send PM

That is really crazy - what a different timeline! Plus sure bites can happen -could be delayed could be a flare up of an old bite, could be something other than bed bug. But you found an actual bed bug!!!!! I would want retreatment now as well.

19. Chucklehead

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Sep 13 2017 11:01:40
    #

Login to Send PM

2nd heat treatment and chemical spray happening today. Threw out almost all of my furniture. Wish me luck

20. stylinmama21

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Sep 13 2017 12:31:34
    #

Login to Send PM

This whole thread is my worst nightmare confirmed. Lol.

21. Chucklehead

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Sep 13 2017 13:37:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Stylinmama,

Let me amplify that nightmare for you

Totaling my costs: treatments, lost furniture, doctors appointments, hotels etc.= roughly $20k

I'm suffering from PTSD, and literally can't sleep in my condo anymore. I've started the process of putting it on the market. I'm moving into a new building that's down the street on a short term lease, hopefully this weekend, and while I'm there, hopefully sell my condo and use that money to by a stand alone house.

The good news silver lining:
    When I purchased my condo in 2013, it was $396k. Even with this issue, my realtor says we can put it on the market for $550k and it will go in a matter of days.
    There's a blessing in every curse lol

22. stylinmama21

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 10:28:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish we could just move! Lol but we are on the family farm so there won't be any moving going on here at all, ever.

How did the second treatment go?

23. Chucklehead

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 15:22:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Stylinmama,

We had chemical treatment on Tuesday and the second heat treatment on Wednesday. This morning, the entire building had a k9 inspection. Nothing came up, and the building was given the all clear. I've stayed in my condo for he last 2 nights since the heat treatment, and I haven't had any bites. That being said idgaf I'm still getting tf out I can't handle being there my PTSD is real and the only solution is bounce!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

264,050 posts in 42,686 topics over 129 months by 18,734 of 19,281 members. Latest: Vincent601, bedbug, Why2Us