Heat gun?

(3 posts)
  1. Em1231

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 24 2009 21:28:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Since we know that heat kills bed bugs, and pretty much the only thing that will kill their eggs, would a heat gun be effective? It gets hotter than a hair dryer and is dryer than a steamer. Plus they are relatively inexpensive. The idea just came to me. Thoughts?

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 24 2009 22:26:00
    #

Login to Send PM

No way. Heat guns in general generate 700-1100 F and easily can start fires. Paper ignites at 451F.

I've got an adjustable one from 130-900 and did some testing but due to the sensitivity of the control from 225-350F and the slow of heating upholstery to 140F. It doesn't hold water.

It isn't useless but would be very application specific and require thermal monitoring.

Jim

3. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Aug 25 2009 0:59:43
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg,
    It sounds like somebody read Bradbury or can at least remember a Bradbury title.

(Why, no, I'm not an SF geek at all. Whyever do you ask?)

Em1231,

There have been posts about heat guns before, and the consensus seems to be that they're awfully dangerous as fire hazards go and are probably not terribly effective. You're much better off with a dry vapor steamer. I know that's not happy news, given how much good dry vapor steamers cost, but if we'd all found a cheap, safe, effective alternative? Well, I for one would be singing its praises in every post.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.