Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Have you, or any one in your family, developed a high fever after bed bugs?

(13 posts)
  1. bedbugresearcher

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 24 2009 11:43:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm collecting some qualitative data to help support some of my quanitative data. I was curious if any one had, post or during an outbreak, delveloped a high fever (104 F+). Also if you had any of these symptoms along with it: rash on torso that spreads, delirium, cough, abdominal pain, backache, joint pain, vomiting, nausea, sensitivity to light, muscle pain, headache, chills, stupor and/or low blood pressure.

Thanks,
    Amanda

2. bedbugsrbad

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Aug 1 2009 23:06:10
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband and I were traveling in Guatemala and we stayed at a place that was infested with bed bugs. After a week of traveling and after countless bites, I developed all the symptoms which you mentioned. I did not know think to attribute it to the bed bugs, as it seemed dubious that a simple bed bug bite (although I had a TON of them on me) could wreak so much havoc on my health. As far as the vomiting, nausea, sensitivity to light, muscle pain, EXCRUCIATING headache, chills, low blood pressure---I thought I was just experiencing altitude sickness.
    A few weeks later,upon returning to the US, I was diagnosed with hepatitis B.
    I was (and am) in a monogamous relationship. The hepatitis B virus did not come from my husband, as he had been vaccinated for it years ago. I have been doing research and I am convinced that the bed bugs transmitted the virus to me.

Please post whatever information you can so that others may be educated.

3. Just itching to get rid of them

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 2 2009 1:04:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, this is a scarey exchange. bedbugresearcher, surely there must be reasons why you asked if anyone bitten has these particular symptoms. Have you or anyone else observed a correlation between such symptoms and bb bites? Are any hypotheses related to such symptoms being developed and tested?

4. Infofreak

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 2 2009 1:41:45
    #

Login to Send PM

A rash on torso that spreads, Yes that happened to me in the 6th month

The bites more than doubled in size also weird

5. sickofbugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2009 23:24:08
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugresearcher,

Those symptoms sound very much like Lyme Disease. And yes, bed bugs can spread Lyme Disease. I have info from the best Lyme doctor in the world, Dr. Burrascano from the US. There is research being carried out in the US as to what bugs carry Lyme Disease. I have Lyme Disease along with bed bugs.

sickofbugs

6. ghostbitten

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2009 0:14:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I've gotten nausea//GI upset for the last seven days since I've been experience bites, but my bites are turning out like this:

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv325/hwyghost/bbweltsbites/leftarm.jpg

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv325/hwyghost/bbweltsbites/rightarm.jpg

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv325/hwyghost/bbweltsbites/leftelbow.jpg

I'm going to book with my doctor after labor day to see him and get something for this.

7. bbfiend

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2009 0:23:34
    #

Login to Send PM

the first week i got bitten badly (a welt of 12 inch), my elbow was aching so bad, actually managed to make me cry. Then I got bitten on my knuckle (I actually have a photo that shows my the back of my hand is totally puffed up), my wrist ached.

Haven't had that joint ache since then. But am thinking of doing blood test for Lyme Disease anyway.

8. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2009 13:29:07
    #

Login to Send PM

i had swollen ankles around the time that i was being bit. i've never had it before or since. it was really quite weird, as i've always been very slender so the swollen ankles were pretty noticeable.

9. never_again

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2009 15:40:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I have never heard of a fever from BB bites but there is a disease - rickettsial pox - that can be contracted from mouse mites. Lyme disease from BB? scary scary.... any links to info on this?

10. shasalady

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Sep 7 2009 13:42:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had mild fevers and my arms develope a hot to the touch where I have been bitten. I thought at first the fever was from something else, virus etc. But after this has happen to me several times and it always coralates to being bitten specially on my arms. I have been fighting these bugs since Feburary. Thought I was rid of them once and now they are back! So treatment starts all over again.

11. bedbugresearcher

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Sep 22 2009 17:12:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I was asking, because there have been unconfirmed reports of disease transmission through bed bugs. Many of these reports have come before the advent of modern molecular techniques (there is a slew of papers from pre-1950 on the transmission of disease through bed bugs). I was curious, all those symptoms are common for most insect vector born illnesses, which does include lyme disease. But, I know of no conclusive research linking lyme disease to bed bugs (please note the most commonly referred to paper in this field is a review written in 1963, with papers in it as old as 1907, so there may be taxonomic differences, and misdiagnosis in modern reviews based off this paper). I'm sorry for any panic, but there is no link between lyme disease and bed bugs. If you're interested in Hepatitis as related to bed bugs look into "Stercorarial Shedding and Transtadial Transmission of Hepatitis B Virus by Common Bed Bugs (Hemiptera: Cimicidae)" by Blow et. al. published in the Journal of Medical Entomology 2001, it is a very concise piece of literature on that subject. My area of expertise is not viral transmission, my research is on insect born illness. My research on bed bugs is expanding our vectors from human body lice and ticks.

12. bbfiend

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Sep 22 2009 17:21:53
    #

Login to Send PM

i'm glad to hear that there's no lyme disease linked to bb bites! big load off my mind.

still, the joint aches were so bad, i've never had them before, and especially not that intense pain/ache.

any idea when i speak to the docs, what i should ask them to test? my docs are not very proactive, unless i ask/bring it up, no action is taken (blame it on the not-so-great-insurance!).

13. ColonnadesBedBugs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 25 2011 1:07:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I definitely experienced this. Please see my blog.

bedbugresearcher - 1 year ago  » 
    I'm collecting some qualitative data to help support some of my quanitative data. I was curious if any one had, post or during an outbreak, delveloped a high fever (104 F+). Also if you had any of these symptoms along with it: rash on torso that spreads, delirium, cough, abdominal pain, backache, joint pain, vomiting, nausea, sensitivity to light, muscle pain, headache, chills, stupor and/or low blood pressure.
    Thanks,
    Amanda

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

192,858 posts in 29,741 topics over 91 months by 12,859 of 20,150 members. Latest: DarthUnit, redfruit, JEPA