Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Has anyone succeded with a do-it-yourself bedbug extermination process?

(9 posts)
  1. peacefulsleep

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 18 2011 17:29:56
    #

Login to Send PM

This has been such a nighmare for me and unfortunately, my husband doesn't feel it is worth the thousands of dollars spent on a professional when there are no guarantees. It all started about eight months ago when my son who lives in the city had a problem with these horrible suckers. Apparently, being ignorant about these pests he unwittingly brought them here on one his visits home. He has moved out of his apartment and the whole ordeal was an expensive nightmare but now we have them. About six months when I discovered a couple of them on the bed where he slept I started clearing the room, vacuumed thourougly, washed all the bedding and sprayed. I followed the same procedure for each bedroom in our single dwelling home. So for about three months I thought we had rid of them until last week when I lifted my boxspring I found a bunch them with some larvae. I wanted to puke! The problem is that I don't seem to react the bites and that is probably why I thought I was out of danger, however my daughter is waking up with these large bites in the morning. I don't have the heart to tell her that we have a problem with bed bugs for fear that she will have trouble sleeping at night. I guess I am just trying to see if there is anyway to rid of these on your own or can anyone share information on a reliable exterminator they have used that won't wipe out my bank account. PLEASE HELP!

2. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 18 2011 17:58:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugs don't have larvae. Could you now be dealing with something else?

3. peacefulsleep

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 18 2011 18:10:01
    #

Login to Send PM

rAVENSFAN99 - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Bedbugs don't have larvae. Could you now be dealing with something else?

Maybe I am not describing it correctly. It looked like little yellowish eggs.

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 18 2011 18:11:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, Peace.

Hopefully, people with DIY experience will weigh in. If you're thinking about it (or you're going with a pro), I highly recommend it.
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/emergingdiseases/Bed_Bug_Manual_v1_full_reduce_326605_7.pdf

You did mention "larvae". Were these like bugs, but smaller, or were they like little worms (which are not bed bug nymphs)?

5. peacefulsleep

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 18 2011 18:12:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe I am not describing correctly. It looked like tiny yellowish eggs.

6. peacefulsleep

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Mar 18 2011 18:16:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure exactly but I do know that the bugs nearby were bedbugs.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 19 2011 2:17:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi peaceful,

It is possible to fight bed bugs on your own but it takes a lot of knowledge and skill. Cilecto pointed you to one source of information. The Comprehensive Guides section of the Resources page has more.

Can you say what city you are in? We can then direct you to posts about local pest firms people have used.

Professional pest control service can be costly and the knowledge and skill of professionals can vary, so do ask questions before hiring one. Getting a recommendation is a good idea, if possible.

Keep in mind some of them do offer guarantees. Be sure and ask about whether they offer one and also how they will determine whether your problem is gone.

It's also worth taking steps to make sure you aren't being reinfested by your son or anyone else. The Travel FAQs have suggestions on how to prevent bed bugs being spread.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. peacefulsleep

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 19 2011 11:18:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much Nobugsbegone and Cilecto for your suggestions. It is comforting to know that there are good people on here willing to help and that I am not alone in this fight. The bed bug manual seems to have a wealth of information and I will have to study this more carefully.
    We actually live in rural northern NJ in a single family home so hepefully this will make it easier for us to keep the situation in control. Any suggestions on reliable and knowledgeable exterminators servicing this area is greatly appreciated.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 19 2011 14:50:34
    #

Login to Send PM

peaceful,

I have not personally hired either of them, but people have recommended A3 Superior and Cooper, and I think both service your area. Both have various treatment options, from what I understand.

You can read reports of these and other PCOs in threads tagged NJ PCOs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,036 posts in 28,278 topics over 87 months by 12,189 of 19,343 members. Latest: bugAnxiety, redbird, sera143
Site Meter