Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Has anyone had experience spraying flea shampoo solution?

(4 posts)
  1. blargg

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jun 4 2011 21:59:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I found a post on AETV - Billy the Exterminator forum here:

http://community.aetv.com/service/displayDiscussionThreads.kickAction?as=119137&w=267438&d=599885

Where someone mentions trying a flea shampoo solution. Don't try this, I just found it; it hasn't been tested... but does anyone have experience with it? Sounds like a worthy experiment, if done safely.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jun 4 2011 22:53:49
    #

Login to Send PM

blargg,

Are you looking for a contact kill spray to kill bed bugs you happen to see? If so, many products work, and many are likely cheaper than flea shampoo, even if that does work. (Though I would note that there are probably lots of kinds of "flea shampoos" out there and you can't generalize either about effectiveness or cost.)

Or -- are you looking for an all-round bed bug solution? It's not likely to be one. Contact killers can do only so much. Killing bed bugs you see is a small part of the battle.

If you need to self-treat, I would seek out other options. Look at the comprehensive guides to bed bugs in the Resources page. Consider our faqs on killing bed bugs with steam and DE.

We don't really give advice on treating with residual sprays because most people here aren't qualified to advise on this. Doing your own pest control also requires a certain amount of knowledge and skill in order to do it safely and effectively, doing your homework first means you will be more likely to succeed. Our FAQs and the Comprehensive Guides I mentioned are a good place to start.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. blargg

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jun 4 2011 23:27:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not a bedbug victim personally; I'm a concerned citizen whose had multiple friends affected by the pest.

My concern is that more focus needs to be placed on residual sprays. That's why people used DDT back when it was effective. Chlorpyrifos is now restricted to agricultural use, so no help there either. I was hoping that someone with means to perform experiments could try different solutions (safely of course) to see their residual effectiveness.

Residual sprays/powders could potentially be a great weapon if someone can come up with one that works, but now that I know that this is not the place to discuss residual solutions, I will not post anymore about them.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 5 2011 2:22:16
    #

Login to Send PM

blargg - 2 hours ago  » 
    I am not a bedbug victim personally; I'm a concerned citizen whose had multiple friends affected by the pest.
    My concern is that more focus needs to be placed on residual sprays. That's why people used DDT back when it was effective. Chlorpyrifos is now restricted to agricultural use, so no help there either. I was hoping that someone with means to perform experiments could try different solutions (safely of course) to see their residual effectiveness.
    Residual sprays/powders could potentially be a great weapon if someone can come up with one that works, but now that I know that this is not the place to discuss residual solutions, I will not post anymore about them.
    Thanks for the reply.

There are plenty of residual pesticides on the market which are labeled for bed bugs and sold primarily to pest management professionals (but in many cases also available to you). They have been tested in most cases. Probably much more carefully than a lot of the OTC junk.

They're probably going to work better as residuals than products marketed to kill fleas or other pests which are sold over the counter, and better than products marketed to kill bed bugs OTC.

One has to do their homework and learn to use products properly (and read and follow labeling instructions). Bed bugs can be treated with products and methods currently on the market, even though none of these products (in the US) is chlorpyrifos or DDT.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.