Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Has anyone ever completely gotten rid of bedbugs??

(7 posts)
  1. terriblebugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Sep 12 2007 19:08:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. My husband and I moved into an apartment in NJ last month. The night we moved in, I noticed some "cute" little tick like bugs i had never seen before. A few days later we had a friend stay over and he instantly recognized them as bed bugs!!
    We had been getting bitten, but didn't know what from. I thought maybe I was having an allergic reaction to something.
    Well, since then we have gone through the hell that you know of, if you are reading this. We have gone through the stages of grieving.
    Our landlord had known about the problem, but didn't tell us. Regardless, she has been good about trying to get the exterminators to get rid of the bugs. We've had about 4 treatments so far-- last night we did not get bitten for the first time.
    But I got up and looked all around the apartment ans found about 20 or so, 5 adults and the rest were small and in the nymp/ juvenile stages.
    I am going crazy. My husband and I fight all the time now...... We want to move out, since all our stuff is washed/ dried and in double bags. We also have tons of books that neither one of us wants to abandon-and we need them for work. We tried leaving them in bags in the car on a very hot day.
    We are going bonkers and have spent easily $ 400 on bags. We additionally got diatomaceous earth and places 1 inch trails all along the walls and baseboards.
    We've been lookking for a place, but our landlord and the exterminator want us to stay put. Actually, our landlord blames the exterminator and plans on suing them if we move. With all this biased advice what do you think?? Should we move. What should we do with our large TV and computer and sound system?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Sep 12 2007 21:48:11
    #

Login to Send PM

What an awful situation, so sorry. This is now more common, moving into an apartment that is already infested. And, sadly, if you move, it can happen again, or you can easily move the bugs with you.

I would delay the moving decision. Discuss this with your husband and perhaps set a date for evaluating your options. Perhaps you are almost there.

Several things to make sure of in the meantime:

a) all adjacent apartments are inspected very thoroughly and treated, if necessary (the absence of bites is not a good indicator that the bedbugs are not elsewhere in the building or house since many people are not allergic);

b) the PCO's protocol is to treat every 2 weeks and, if treatment appears to be failing, to rotate the materials used (you can check to see if your PCO's treatment is adequate by asking Sean at thebedbugresource.com);

c) the landlord hires another PCO if the current PCO is unable to control the infestation.

There are not many ways to move without bedbugs:

a) have your possessions fumigated with Vikane (usually in a rental truck), or treated thermally or perhaps with other new methods, but those two are the most reliable; or

b) take (very!) special precautions in packing and moving AND hire a PCO to treat your new home.

A lot of people move normally and still manage not to export their problem to their new place, but I suspect they are merely lucky. In any case, we tend to hear about the failures mostly. A lot.

I would defer the moving decision for now. You need not do anything with your electronics or books if you are staying, any bugs there will die in the normal course of treatment. If you keep your books packed during treatments, then there is the possibility that you can reinfest yourself when you unpack them. Better to unpack them while you are still being treated and let any bugs hiding in them come out in search of you.

There are many discussions tagged 'moving' in the forums. You might find some of them useful.

3. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Sep 12 2007 21:49:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, and yes, people get rid of bedbugs all the time! Promise.

4. Blue_Ox

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Sep 12 2007 23:38:26
    #

Login to Send PM

When I was moving OUT of an apartment in Brooklyn that I had lived in for a few years (2002-2006) my upstairs neighbor mentioned to me that before I moved in, he had had bedbugs that he was pretty sure he had gotten from an overnight guest who had been travelling. He mentioned this only because I was complaining about the mice problem in my own place (he didn't have mice).

He got rid of the bedbugs somehow, but I didn't know enough at the time to ask him how. Somehow I did not get the impression that he had gone through hell and high water to do it -- he was kind of nonchalant about the whole thing. During the four years I lived near him, he never mentioned a word about it, and my impression was that it was an incident that he took care of and the incident was well behind him.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Sep 12 2007 23:43:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Most people here get rid of bed bugs and move on.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Beatrice

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 13 2007 12:11:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I moved into my infestation as well. I figured I pretty much had no choice but to stay until I was confident they were gone. It's been tough but it's much better now than it was 4 months ago. You'll feel much more in control of the situation as time goes on. Of course I still have days where I feel hopeless but a lot of that is my in my own head.

The best advice I can give you is to take it one day at a time and try not to think to far ahead or you will drive yourself crazy.

I agree that you can always say to yourself if it isn't better in a certain amount of time that you will move.

7. nightshirt

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 14 2007 15:23:55
    #

Login to Send PM

cant believe that ll didnt exterminate while the place was vacant. how contrite to say he/she knew about the problem b/4 you moved in. that is horrible in and of itself.

i also would suggest going through the procedures, exactly and stay put. this too shall pass. i had all the same feelings and it really did pass!!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.