Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Does Harris Egg Kill Bed Bug Spray work?

(10 posts)
  1. bug.machete

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2011 22:35:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Can "Harris Egg Kill Bed Bug Spray" really kill the bed bug eggs?

Here is a bit of our situation:

- Our exterminator is highly questionable, but we are tenants and therefore have no say in the PCO choice. He told us only that he's using Suspend SC. He also told us that he's only going to spray every 3 weeks.

- We have researched this, and all of the sources, including an entomologist at a prestigious university whom we E-mailed, tell us that the exterminator should be spraying every 10 - 14 days.

- Since we don't really trust this PCO, we've also started dusting the baseboards of our house with DE. Our PCO doesn't know about this (we remove all traces of it before he comes).

- During the last few days (before the "three week" fumigation was due), one of us awoke with at least 5 different areas of bites, hence the urgency of our question.

Because of our PCO's "three weeks" fumigation policy, we're paranoid about the bed bug eggs hatching and about the nymphs.

Has anyone had any experience with "Harris Egg Kill Bed Bug Spray"? Does it just drive them into the walls, where they will hibernate and come out to cover us in painful, swelling bites later?

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2011 22:52:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Harris' contains "N-Octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide", which is one of the active ingredients in BedLam. BedLam's makers claim that their product kills some percentage of (but not all) bed bug eggs. I would not get too worked up about the 3 week interval. I've seen that in discussions. I don't have the expertise regarding whether or not you should supplement this PCO's work.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 27 2011 0:59:08
    #

Login to Send PM

bug.machete - 2 hours ago  » 

Has anyone had any experience with "Harris Egg Kill Bed Bug Spray"? Does it just drive them into the walls, where they will hibernate and come out to cover us in painful, swelling bites later?

I have never heard of it.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 27 2011 0:59:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Note: since you're asking a question, I changed the title to read like one also.

5. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 27 2011 1:54:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Any "egg killing" spray would need to be applied directly to the eggs to be effective... Spraying pesticides on other surfaces will not kill bed bug eggs.

Vikane gas fumigation or heat will kill eggs when the room or contents are treated, but any spray product must make direct contact to kill a viable egg.

Did you ask the PCO if they would utilize a dust product as part of the treatment plan?

How do you clean up the DE?... DE should be applied in cracks, crevices and inaccessible spaces... DE should not be used in open spaces where it can be disturbed...Vacuuming it up can cause the DE to become airborne.

Air tight eye protection and a proper respirator (plastic mask with attached HEPA filters) should be worn for personal protection... even if you have a professional HEPA filtered vacuum cleaner... Wet paper towels can be used on hard surfaces to remove DE safely.

I follow that you do not have faith in the PCO... but the stealth DIY treatment approach that you are describing is problematic on a number of levels

6. onmylastnerve

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 27 2011 8:01:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I bought the same stuff plus I found a bomb that said it killed bed bugs but before I used it my father in law made me call the health dept. And they told me they the stuff didn't work and would make my problem worse to just get a professional involved. so from now on if I'm in doubt on something I will just call my local health dept

7. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 27 2011 10:12:44
    #

Login to Send PM

onmylastnerve - 2 hours ago  » 
    I bought the same stuff plus I found a bomb that said it killed bed bugs but before I used it my father in law made me call the health dept. And they told me they the stuff didn't work and would make my problem worse to just get a professional involved. so from now on if I'm in doubt on something I will just call my local health dept

Good save on the fogger. Experts warn that they can exacerbate a bed bug problem.

8. onmylastnerve

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 27 2011 12:18:33
    #

Login to Send PM

well I wasn't that lucky cause the friend who brought them to my house set off a bug bomb while I was in the hospital and we just found out. and that was about a month ago so hopefuly they calmed down and plus she did it while all the windows were open

9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 27 2011 17:49:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hopefully, your friend did not do a lot of damage.

To clarify my understanding of things and address questions of what works/what doesn't:
    - Experts generally recommend professional treatment for bed bugs. However, some people, by choice or necessity, self treat. I'm sure that some do succeed.
    - Products that say that they "kill bugs" or "kill eggs" will not necessarily kill all the bugs in your home. Products (like mattress covers) can be useful as one element of a multi pronged approach. Most people would class products like BedLam or Harris' as a useful tool, not a silver bullet, but not a bad product either (some experts do express concern about pressurized sprays "blowing" bed bugs, but not hurting them).
    - Most experts seem to recommend against foggers.

10. bedbugman

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 28 2011 7:48:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I would not worry about 3 week intervals. Suspend is a good product but only as good as the person using it. I have said this many times but its not what but how. I would not be happy if one of my clients decided to DIY half way through a treatment and to be honest I would probably walk if I was dealing with this one.... Thats if I found out. Just because your PCO is only using one product does not mean he is no good. I only use the one, single active product and have never felt the need to use dusts or contact killers.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.