Got them again

(11 posts)
  1. Tim m

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 7 2017 4:32:45
    #

Login to Send PM

My story starts back in 2011 I woke up one morning with bites on my back, that night I slept on the couch, normally I don't I didn't think much of it so I went about my day. Over the next few weeks I got more and more so I did some research of what could be eating me alive and I came across bed bugs, I didn't even know they were a real thing. So at this point I'm in panic mode I flipped my couch over and pulled the dust cloth off and sure enough I found 5 adults. So I call my landlord and tell her, she sends me cans of raid and "mouse traps" after 6 months of fighting this infestation and yelling matches with the landlord we gave up. We took every last penny we had and moved left everything behind, my wife and children were very upset but we really didn't have a choice. Now 6 years later my worst fear has come true, for the past month or so myself and children have been getting bit, I brushed it off as mosquito bites because we finally have been getting nice weather, until three nights ago my five year old had a row of bites on her leg and I found it odd because we haven't been outside in days because of the rain we have been getting. So I said what the hell I will flip my couch and check just to have some peace of mind and not even 30 seconds in I find one stuck to the sticker on the dust trap. So I call the landlord and they send a inspector the next day and he confirmed I have them so at this point my stomachs in my feet. But this landlord says she will heat treat and border spray?

It's now been three days I'm still waiting on my heat treatment date, I have been working around the clock to get this place ready. I'm just really scared this heat treatment will fail I have worked so hard to get everything back and give my children a clean home. I have only found bugs in my couch and not any of the rooms, this may sound gross but I'm sleeping on the couch so they feed off me and not venture off and spread to other rooms and get to my children or wife. I guess the real question is how affective is heat does it kill all stages even eggs? Sorry if I sound like I'm just rambleling I'm just stressed and on very little sleep.

2. mp7ski

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 7 2017 5:32:13
    #

Login to Send PM

If done right, a heat treatment is a very effective treatment with the ability to kill every life stage including eggs. However, they often leave stragglers which is why they would also do a perimeter spray. Nothing is guarenteed, but it's one of the best options out there. How new and expensive is the couch? You could consider wrapping it and disposing of it to help your odds. It can be treated, but if it's ground zero, it may be something you want to consider.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 7 2017 6:35:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I am sorry you are going through this a second time! I am getting chemical treatment and just had the first one Wednesday. I just wanted to say I totally understand you sleeping on the couch. My 6 year old daughter was getting bit up awful starting end of June but I thought it was from being outside. Then we go on vacation and she gets no more bites and her skin heals. We come home late two Fridays ago and I lay down with her for bedtime songs and I get bit! She shares a room with her older sister who never got bit until I moved the 6 year old to my bed! So now they are in my bed and I'm sleeping in the ground zero bed! Better me than them and I don't want them to move out of here looking for another snack. So stressful!!

4. Tim m

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 7 2017 13:38:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Just got the phone call from the landlord they can't treat until the 18th I live in a townhouse and just got confirmation the neighbor has them so they have to treat both with heat at the same time.

5. Tim m

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 7 2017 14:18:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry forgot to add I really don't want to toss my couch out. I got it around six months ago and paid $1200.

6. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 7 2017 21:12:58
    #

Login to Send PM

That is great your landlord is on top of things and treating both units! . I know the waiting will be a lot but heat treatment is supposed to work quickly (from what I've read since learning I had this problem!) I hope you don't have to get rid of the couch but maybe the person who inspected could tell you?

7. mp7ski

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 19:13:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, throwing out the couch is not necessarily necessary, especially with a heat treatment. It also sounds like the company performing it knows what they are doing. The fact the spray after heat treating and know to treat both infested places at the same time is a good sign. Also, if they know the couch is ground zero than I'm sure they'll make sure that couch is 8n the line of fire for heat. Sounds like youre in good hands, good luck!

8. Tim m

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 2:28:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone for the support and info. The 18th can't come soon enough. I'm still sleeping in the living room with the unwanted guests. but I am sleeping in the lazyboy it's about 4 feet from ground zero the couch. I couldn't take it anymore knowing they are right under me when I close my eyes. My wife and kids are not getting bites thank God they are staying away from the living room. I don't mind being the bait so my kids and wife are safe in bed. Only issue I'm having from the bites are extreme itching, the bites are mostly on my legs around the size of a penny. But on my right arm i have a full tattoo sleeve and when they bite that arm it balloons up and is extremely warm and aches? Not sure if I'm having a very bad reaction because of the ink in my arm. Anyways I pray this heat treatment works.

9. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 18:41:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Tim m - 3 days ago  » 
    But on my right arm i have a full tattoo sleeve and when they bite that arm it balloons up and is extremely warm and aches? Not sure if I'm having a very bad reaction because of the ink in my arm. Anyways I pray this heat treatment works.

Ive a half sleeve on my left, as well as a few others (that will all come together to be a sleeve one day), and bites on that arm are 1. Impossible to actually find and 2. Also make my arm swell. More precisely, all the darker outlines get puffy and you can actually feel it when you run a finger over my arm. It's strange... but maybe something to do with the ink? I only react like that over tattoos, be it on my arm, rib cage, spine, tops of my feet, or thigh- wherever I happen to be tattooed.

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  10. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 18:50:32
    #

Login to Send PM

psychologically_messed_up - 5 minutes ago  » 

Tim m - 3 days ago  » 
    But on my right arm i have a full tattoo sleeve and when they bite that arm it balloons up and is extremely warm and aches? Not sure if I'm having a very bad reaction because of the ink in my arm. Anyways I pray this heat treatment works.

Ive a half sleeve on my left, as well as a few others (that will all come together to be a sleeve one day), and bites on that arm are 1. Impossible to actually find and 2. Also make my arm swell. More precisely, all the darker outlines get puffy and you can actually feel it when you run a finger over my arm. It's strange... but maybe something to do with the ink? I only react like that over tattoos, be it on my arm, rib cage, spine, tops of my feet, or thigh- wherever I happen to be tattooed.

I think this is a pretty normal reaction with irritants and ink. I'm heavilly tattooed and even some lotions make some of my tattoos puff a bit. A few spots on a few tattoos are almost constantly puffed up, mostly outlines and fine detail. They even itch during especially humid or dry weather.

Not an expert. Any advice I give is information gleaned via anxiety-fueled research of credible sources and expert posts here. Please research all advice before treating and consult a professional.
  11. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 18:57:31
    #

Login to Send PM

@nomorebuggs- YES! I've certain ones that spend more time puffy and 'outlined' than not! I've got an amazing new body butter, which helps a little, but it's become a running joke that the one tattoo stays raised because it's meant to (playboy bunny- my 18 yr old self thought I was cool)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,575 posts in 43,048 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234