Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Going insane - cant sleep - not sure what to do

(6 posts)
  1. ashah93

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 4:16:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm going insane.

I don't have bed bugs, (or I do and haven't seen ANY signs of them - no fecal stains, shells, live/dead bugs, blood stains). Additionally, i had a pest control guy around who also confirmed no bed bugs. Girlfriend came to stay last weekend has said she had no reactions/bites at all.

A couple of reactions i have/had: https://imgur.com/a/okUZt

The problem is I don't know what I have.
    I'm writing this after just waking up with 5x bites/reactions (whatever you wanna call them) on my forehead and sides of my forehead - whatever these are, i do not react well to them - they look the reaction my body has to mosquito bites (i.e. swell up and look like a welt). I live in london and have no stagnant water near me. I wake up with 10 bites/reactions EVERY SINGLE DAY. They're mainly on my scalp/neckline, arms, lower chest and legs. These all give me a reaction mosquito

I posted a bug a week or so ago on here to ID, turns out it's a carpet beetle without any hairs. I was told the hairs might be the culprit - i've done everything to alleviate this if they are (bought a air purifier with ionizer and have stopped wearing shoes/socks in the room and have been vacuuming regularly). But i'm STILL getting mauled alive at night. It's only ever at night. Everytime i scratch something that even sort of resembles a bite, (even if it's not), that area starts swelling up like a balloon.

I've been to the doctors, they have no idea what it is - they do think it's something biting me at night.
    I changed my pillows last night - they were pretty old anyway - that has made no difference - if anything it's made it worse as i've got way more bites/reactions on my scalp and forehead (i do not have lice - have checked). I'm getting a new duvet today - currently have a duck & down one which i am going to replace I'm pretty sure this will make zero difference though...

I flipped the mattress to see if that helped - it sort of did for 2 days (had less bites/reactions...but these have come back now). I've vacuumed the mattress - landlord said he will come around and vacuum the mattress too with a HEPA filter vacuum. He also said he'll replace the mattress if it's still causing me a problem.

The thing is - what if it continues AFTER i replace the mattress? I am sleeping an average of 3-4 hours a night and feel absolutely dreadful - this has been going on for almost 4 weeks and is really taking its toll on me mentally. i am at such a loss of what to do

Please can someone, anyone, help me? What do I do? I am going insane and need a solution to this

2. BBuster

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 10:31:07
    #

Login to Send PM

My boyfriend responded different to bites than me. He only got bitten when I did not sleep over. BB's prefered me. Skin reaction was also very different.
    You could buy Kathy's bedbug pyama (ebay and expensive) and boil it in hot water every day.
    You could buy a closed encasement for you mattras from Ebay (inexpensive solution).

Good luck.

3. jds

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 23:48:52
    #

Login to Send PM

At first, I think you should see a doctor in order to get sleep. Not sleeping isn't going to help you act rationally nor battle the anxiety you have.

I don't know how you exactly should handle the situation, I can just tell what helped in my unresolved/unsure case. I have encased my bed, and I'm using a passive monitor. Passive monitors are great for easing the nervous burden (at least for me) as you're not supposed to check them all the time. This kind of behavior have helped me to live normal life (well, at least for most of the time;))

And there's this one sentence that caught my attention:
    "Everytime i scratch something that even sort of resembles a bite, (even if it's not), that area starts swelling up like a balloon."

That's characteristic for dermatographic urticaria https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatographic_urticaria
    Are you sure you are not scratching yourself in your sleep?

4. BBScare2017

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Mar 5 2017 3:07:26
    #

Login to Send PM

First, I just want to say I am so sorry your having such a difficult time. As a psychologist, your anxiety is getting the best of you. I'm not a bed bug expert but if you've found no signs and a professional has found no signs, why not rule out bed bugs until you actually find a sign? I know that doesn't cure the reactions to your skin but being paranoid about bed bugs is really pointless right now until you actually find something to point you in that direction. It could be the carpet beetle hairs, laundry detergent, fleas, scabies...numerous things. I would get a second opinion from a doctor. I personally wouldn't spend a lot of money on bed bug related things like encasements or monitoring but if your mind is telling you that you have bed bugs and your just sure of it, why not purchase some of those things to give yourself peace of mind. It would really help with your anxiety just knowing you have prevention, even if you don't need the prevention. I'm more than happy to talk to you privately if you need me too. And again, I'm truly sorry your having such a rough time sleeping. Your home, especially your bed, is where you should find the most peace and comfort. When that is taken from us, it really can play tricks with our mind. Please reach out if you need too!

5. lagayle59

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon May 29 2017 10:28:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I am very sorry you are having this problem. I am no expert and yet I think buying mattress/box spring encasements is a positive thing to do. They need to be the ones for dust mites or bed bugs as these have zippers with small teeth that bbs cannot crawl through. I do however also think another opinion would be worthwhile as folliculitis is another possibility that does cause little bumps that can react when scratched. It is a treatable condition that can drive you mad if you think something is biting you. The unusual thing though is that this is only breaking out during the night. That is why I do think the encasements might ease your mind without a lot of expense, as well as the passive traps you can place under the feet of your bed.

I do wish you luck and hope it is not bbs.

6. ophelia

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 5:03:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey, I see that this has been posted 5 months ago, how have you been holding? Found anything?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,575 posts in 43,048 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234