Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

glycerol as an attractant

(20 posts)
  1. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 5 2009 0:08:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Studies are underway to determine the most effective attractant (beside humans)tto lure BBS so they can be trapped/exterminated.

Here's an excerpt of an ongoing study.

The strongest attraction response to any single chemical was glycerol at concentrations of 10% and 1% respectively. Further studies will determine the optimum concentration and the combination effects of chemicals that exhibited a positive response in this study. by Eva A. Chin-Heady, et al., Dow AgroSciences, Indianapolis, IN

2. BB_Slayer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 5 2009 14:27:22
    #

Login to Send PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol

Glycerol is used in medical and pharmaceutical and personal care preparations, mainly as a means of improving smoothness, providing lubrication and as a humectant. It is found in cough syrups, elixirs and expectorants, toothpaste, mouthwashes, skin care products, shaving cream, hair care products, soaps and water based personal lubricants.

Is Wikipedia correct? I wonder if showering, shampooing and putting on skin lotion increases bed bug attraction to us.

3. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 5 2009 14:42:34
    #

Login to Send PM

The abstract of the ongoing study doesn't focus on CO2, which is the greatest attractant now known. So I don't think that adding glycerol to the environment would have a greater affect than our simply breathing. But we don't know.

OTOH, I think we should be reading labels and avoid put glycerol-laden products on the babies.

4. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 5 2009 14:46:10
    #

Login to Send PM

1st thanks for DE information, they could't ship to Canada had enquires before they did however steer me in the right direction. I was able to find a company out of Vancouver and the man's credentials look like Davids. Same grade as what you have been using I ordered the DE will be here Monday or Tuesday.

I showed my brother this post when he dropped off my niece (today we are going to try have a normall day and start the Christmas baking) he was the one who said find the DE .

I told him now its time to return the favor and help the masses. You worked for DOW until your retirement. Are these people attempting to developing a trap? He asked if you can post the link where you read the study.. He is the one that want to treat his home green. Maybe with his contacts he can find something out.

Also have you ever heard of dipping your tree ornaments in boiling water to kill eggs. I am not going to let these things ruin Christmas.

5. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 5 2009 15:00:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I have no idea what temps varius ornaments will tolerate. I think it will be your experiment. Try alcohol sprays too.

It's just stupid that you can't buy a packtite. Can you rent one from a PCO across the border? Are you near Alaska?

I found the Dow study on another computer. When I get back to that computer I'll see if I can find it in recent searches. ITMT, you can try googling Ms. Chin-Heady's name or a line from the abstract.

6. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 5 2009 15:20:10
    #

Login to Send PM

bait - 4 minutes ago  » 
    I have no idea what temps varius ornaments will tolerate. I think it will be your experiment. Try alcohol sprays too.
    It's just stupid that you can't buy a packtite. Can you rent one from a PCO across the border? Are you near Alaska?
    I found the Dow study on another computer. When I get back to that computer I'll see if I can find it in recent searches. ITMT, you can try googling Ms. Chin-Heady's name or a line from the abstract.

Thanks bait most of my christmas ornaments are glass this is the one situation where I will use the 91% solution. I amgoing to put them in the kitchen sick spray them down and rinse with boiling water I don't think that would create a fire danger putting it on the tree provided I rinse them well? I have the alcohol in my house all the time to clean my Luminous Air make up brush and it's cheap and you this just gave me an idea to try on a couple of other things I been looking for a solution to clean ie the tree I have the abilty I am going to set it up in the basement which is not finish because I am reding it, add the alcohol my steamer and do the branches leave it and see what happens in the next few days.

7. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 5 2009 16:14:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't do that with the boiling water.

Glass doesn't do well with rapid temperature changes and ornaments have very thin glass which makes it worse. You don't want them to break.

Jim

8. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 5 2009 16:21:40
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 3 minutes ago  » 
    I wouldn't do that with the boiling water.
    Glass doesn't do well with rapid temperature changes and ornaments have very thin glass which makes it worse. You don't want them to break.
    Jim

I am going to drizzle the boiling water. Right now I have a happy little girl that Auntie is try set up Christmas call me Mrs. Grizwold but this time of year is for them

9. noway

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 5 2009 17:22:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Flabergasted - I wouldn't use hot water, either. The alcohol will kill everything and just a rinse with room temp water should remove all the alcohol. Good luck.

10. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 5 2009 17:40:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Here we go … mix KY and DE

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  11. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 5 2009 19:38:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's the link to a summary of the study, which was presented at the Entomological Society of America annual meeting on December 14h. It's all I find; apparently nothing else is published.

http://esa.confex.com/esa/2009/webprogram/Paper42804.html

12. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Dec 6 2009 17:42:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I forwarded to my brother lets see what he finds out about this reseach, its a small article and maybe theya re just starting to publish.

The company I ordered the DE from the entomologist that owns the company, in the bio it acknowledges "researched insect pheromone control and flight responses" I am sure this man and the entomologist that frequent this site have probably crossed paths at conventions.

Imagine the research and science if these people are even close to producing a pheramone that simulates "carbon dioxide" that our breath emits or have discoverd that there is an attraction to all the personal hygiene products we use in North America. Maybe our cleanliness is our own worst enemy after your post about glycerol in products I started checking bottles today it is in everything from body washes to , shampoo and in the very lotion I am using to conteract the bites. Maybe the post that someone sent to me about good old vaseline is the route to go for helping with the bites.

As for the decorations we have cleaned all the glass ones with alcohol (thanks for all the suggestions) and repacked them into a rubbermaid container (yes we let them air on a baking racks to get rid if the fumes) SAFETY FIRST. Some of the plastic composite ornaments will not take well to the alcohol but we tested it 1st on a couple it faded the colour. What we did there was boil water checked the temp and let cool to 160F and poured it over let them cool dried and packed them. As for the tree we set it up in a bedroom that no one will be entering and steamed it we are waiting for the DE to get here and dust it. Then we'll see if it gets moves it to the living room. My next spray is this thursdayI am going to lay down a perimiter of the DE after as a second spray around the couch and in my upstairs rooms come on down boys I now have a second surprise for you.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Dec 6 2009 20:35:15
    #

Login to Send PM

A reader once suggested Glycerine as an anti-itch application, saying it had brought him much relief. I have removed it from the "useful stuff" list on Amazon pending further information from this study.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  14. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Dec 6 2009 21:21:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Spraying the tree with DE is decidedly an off-label application. Please wear a dust mask when applying and make sure children aren't in physical contact with the tree. Young lungs should not be breathing any DE, especially if it is coming off a tree like snow, which kids may find "pretty".

I think you win the prize for being the busiest mom in the world today. I know you're going to have a great Christmas.

BTW, regarding my earlier post - I figured it out - the study has not been published yet at least for one reason, the presentation for the ESA is Friday 12/14. Meetings start I think on 12/13 or thereabout.

15. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Dec 6 2009 22:29:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Read the DE hazards thread under the tag.

Jim

16. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Dec 6 2009 23:00:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I ordered a kit it is coming with gloves, masks and the applications brush one container is a duse the other is nozzel most like I will use it on my bed . I'll see what the mask looks like I have an actual hepa here from work because I am tranied as a backup saftey officer and it is in my safety bag (it lives in the trunk of my car never come in the house) I will probably use it becasue of my allegies. I even have the two white steril suits in there may wear one of those also.

My plan here is to lay down a fine layer away from the spray area around the centre of the room where I have the bagged items then continue to sort and throw out anything and stay within that area the DE circle I lay down. The items I am going to throw out will be taken immediately outside in sealed double bags recommended "yes people I am a fast study" we are having a cold snap here for the next couple of days -25C. One thing I have never saw on this site is to cut up your clothing items you are throwing out. Time are tough in Canada or the US last thing you need is dumpster divers bring this into shelters. These people who run these places have enough problems without these things. I can't wait fir it to get here.

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 7 2009 2:10:47
    #

Login to Send PM

flabergasted - 3 hours ago  » 
    One thing I have never saw on this site is to cut up your clothing items you are throwing out.

It's not a bad idea. A lot of people simply run clothing through a hot dryer and bag them. Then they can be thrown out or donated.

I second the concerns about DE and safety.

18. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 7 2009 8:49:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 6 hours ago  » 

flabergasted - 3 hours ago  » 
    One thing I have never saw on this site is to cut up your clothing items you are throwing out.

It's not a bad idea. A lot of people simply run clothing through a hot dryer and bag them. Then they can be thrown out or donated.
    I second the concerns about DE and safety.

I sent you a pm on the DE, in the search I found a lot snake oil sales man on the net.

I think even you'll agree I found a reputable dealer. As for using it my brother worked extensively with chemical at DOW they use it in there filtration systems. Don't worry I am not going to pile it on like everyones first instinct. I need to do some more reading on the site about how to use properly on my bed and the furniture I intend to keep the process safe I know breathing this stuff in is not good for the lungs.

19. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 7 2009 12:05:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Be careful to avoid applying DE anywhere that it can be disturbed and made airborne.

Placing it on carpeting can be a problem, it can become airborne if it is walked on.

The results of the Dow study won't be released until the presentation at ESA.

I know another prominent researcher that has discovered an attractant that works... It is still being evaluated, but it will be a major breakthrough when it hits the market.

20. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 7 2009 22:53:33
    #

Login to Send PM

The bedrooms where I am going to put it have carpet but the doors will be closed once I do it no one will be going in there except me I am single and told my brother once I lay this stuff down the kids are just going to have to wait to come visit for a week . I am staying in the living room right now thats where the infestation started in either chair or the couch. Is it safe to dust the deck of the couch along the cracks and sleeping on the couch? I have been putting throw on the couch and then the blankets I have two sets so one is washed everyday there is always a fresh set bagged for use. This is one weird product you can digest food grade but don't inhale it. I just hope the combination of the spray and it finally help work. Last night I got three new bites.

And by the way one who says cats don't know these things are around I have news for you. Kitty was acting weird this morning staring at something so further investigation low an behold one was motoring away from the couch area. Met the butt end of my mag light. She was just did it again and there were three spots one was moving two weren't. Great contact kill that doesn't blow them away Windex with amonia -d foam action it is not moving any more and wipes up easy.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,643 posts in 50,005 topics over 154 months by 21,867 of 22,348 members. Latest: jaa5108, fightingback, Jenloaa