Getting ready to treat - need advice

(7 posts)
  1. nervousandanxious

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 15:00:45
    #

Login to Send PM

The other day I found 2 bugs, one looked to be a nymph and the other larger but not quite an adult. Caught and bagged them both in case I needed to call pest control, but going to try self treating first.

I've ordered encasements for mattress, box spring, and pillows. Also got diatomaceous earth to put in the carpet. Will be getting interceptors soon after doing more research on active vs passive.

I've started heat treating all my bedding and have bagged them after they come out of the drier. I will be doing the same to my clothes in the dresser.

The problem seems contained to my bedroom (roommates haven't seen anything in theirs) but I was wondering if I need to treat my clothes in my closet. They all hang off the ground, there is no carpet in the closet, and the door stays closed.

Also, what order should I be approaching this problem?

Lastly, can I put my own sheets and pillow cases on top of the encasements?

Thank you for any advice you can leave! I can't afford professional help on this issue and the problem seems contained thus far. I have been getting bitten for about a month now, but after tearing apart my bedding and flipping my mattress, I see no evidence of a rampant issue yet.

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 16:23:58
    #

Login to Send PM

On a low level problem, the clothes in the dresser and closet should be of little concern.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. nervousandanxious

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Wed Apr 19 2017 0:48:13
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 8 hours ago  » 
    On a low level problem, the clothes in the dresser and closet should be of little concern.

That's good to hear, I'm just extremely paranoid that the problem could spread. I've been getting bites for about a month but thought they were flea bites since I'm around cats a lot.

4. mp7ski

Posted 7 months ago
    Wed Apr 19 2017 1:17:12
    #

Login to Send PM

You should first ppst a photo of the bugs you found to get a proper id before proceeding further. Identification by an expert is always the first step.

Yes, your sheets and pillows in encasements can go on top of the mattress encasements, don't see why you'd think this would be an issue. Encasements won't resolve an issue. They trap whatever bugs are living there in the box spring and mattress and can be a decent monitoring device for fecal and bugs. It won't stop bugs from harboring in the bed somewhere.

Don't just go sprinkling DE everywhere, it's dangerous and not how DE is properly used. It is a Crack and crevice treatment as well as for things like bed legs.

If I were you and I had a positive ID, I'd get a pro in. Cause youll most likely have to do so eventually anyways and if you wait and have DE everywhere, they most likely won't treat until you remove it and removing it properly is a headache. If your roommates don't know about the issue, make sure they do, maybe they'll help bring in a pro.

You haven't made any major mistakes yet from what I've read so your heading in the right direction. Don't wait, get a knowledgeable bed bug pro in or you may regret it later on down the road.

Also, I'd wait to put on encasements until you get a pro in if you do decide to do so. He may want to inspect the bed. Most pcos don't want you to put encasements on until after they treat, some don't like to use encasements at all due to them tearing and possibly reinfesting if the issue gets resolved.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  5. nervousandanxious

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Apr 20 2017 16:59:45
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 1 day ago  » 
    You should first ppst a photo of the bugs you found to get a proper id before proceeding further. Identification by an expert is always the first step.
    Yes, your sheets and pillows in encasements can go on top of the mattress encasements, don't see why you'd think this would be an issue. Encasements won't resolve an issue. They trap whatever bugs are living there in the box spring and mattress and can be a decent monitoring device for fecal and bugs. It won't stop bugs from harboring in the bed somewhere.
    Don't just go sprinkling DE everywhere, it's dangerous and not how DE is properly used. It is a Crack and crevice treatment as well as for things like bed legs.
    If I were you and I had a positive ID, I'd get a pro in. Cause youll most likely have to do so eventually anyways and if you wait and have DE everywhere, they most likely won't treat until you remove it and removing it properly is a headache. If your roommates don't know about the issue, make sure they do, maybe they'll help bring in a pro.
    You haven't made any major mistakes yet from what I've read so your heading in the right direction. Don't wait, get a knowledgeable bed bug pro in or you may regret it later on down the road.
    Also, I'd wait to put on encasements until you get a pro in if you do decide to do so. He may want to inspect the bed. Most pcos don't want you to put encasements on until after they treat, some don't like to use encasements at all due to them tearing and possibly reinfesting if the issue gets resolved.

Would you suggest Cimexa? I've done reading on that and it seems to have good results.

I'll post a picture requesting an ID on this forum. I'm trying my best to avoid professional help for now. I really can't afford it and the situation doesn't seem too bad as of yet. I also have not put down the DE because I read how difficult it is to get out, so I think I'll research more on Cimexa.

I've read up on what to do and what not to do - will not be using any bombs of any sort, and I have been throwing things in the drier on high heat for over 30 minutes. I've been using debedbugged.com

6. Livingagain

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Apr 20 2017 19:32:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, Cimexa is better than DE

7. Livingagain

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Apr 20 2017 19:33:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, Cimexa is better than DE

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,582 posts in 43,275 topics over 130 months by 18,981 of 19,559 members. Latest: Ehe22, Koonspg4s, slynnp1