Getting bites mostly on feet and legs while I'm sleeping

(7 posts)
  1. scaredy cat

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 14 2012 1:43:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I woke up on day to discover that I was bitten several times on my feet and ankle; also had 1 bite on my arm and one on my lower back. The next day, I had a few more bites on my ankles and another one on my lower back and one on my arm. These bites occurred while I was sleeping even though I didn't sleep until daylight on the second day.

After the second day, I immediately checked my mattress and box spring for bed bugs as well as my cabinets/drawers, but found no evidence. I washed and dried my sheets anyway and sprayed my mattress, box spring, and cabinets with 91% alcohol.

on day 3, I woke up with two new bites on my feet (around my toes), one on my ankle, and one on my leg.

I bought a steam cleaner and steamed my mattress, cabinets/drawer, bed frame, and all visible cracks and crevices, and re-washed my sheets. I also bought the new Raid Bed Bug and Flea spray and sprayed all cracks, crevices, carpets (around my bed), mattress, box spring, bed frame, and cabinets. I have not slept on my bed ever since day 3 because of fear and also I cannot bear the extreme itchiness of those bites.

after doing some research, I am not sure if I have bed bugs or fleas because it's hard to distinguish between the two types of bites (based on Internet pics). I don't see anything that says fleas bite when you are sleeping. I do not have pets, but I noticed these bites began after I went to the gym and put my stuff in a locker; after the gym, on that same day, I feed a stray kitten some cat food that I had from my cat that died 3 years ago (I stood about 3-4 feet away from it while I put the food down on the grass). I had a cat once that had fleas and they were jumping from the carpet onto my legs and I don't recall getting bitten by them (that happened over 15 years ago).

I have slept in another room for the past 4 days, but last night I was laying on my bed (was laying on my stomach with the front of my legs touching the bed) which had no mattress cover on it and I noticed I was bitten on the front of my leg. I didn't feel anything bite me or see any bug, but the bites was itchy.

Can somebody please tell me whether fleas are known to bite people while they sleep? I ordered mattress and box spring encasements/covers from Protect-a-bed and I refuse to sleep on my bed until they arrive.

Please help, I would truly appreciate any insight.

2. Redtape

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 14 2012 1:52:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Flea's usually bite around the feet and ankles, and im pretty sure they can bite you while you are sleeping if they wanted to/were hungry.

Im in the same boat as you, have been getting random bites for a while now and cant seem to find out what it is. Can't find no signs of BBs, but i always notice new bites.

3. ItchyNYC

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 14 2012 2:04:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think you can develop a flea infestation and be getting all those bites at home from the extent of what you say your possible exposure to fleas has been, so I personally think it's not fleas (plus you can see fleas much easier than bed bugs if the bed bugs are hiding - fleas don't hide as far as I know). It can also be something other than bed bugs. There are bed bug monitors you can purchase or make yourself though to try to find out if you have them. I don't know enough about them to make a recommendation but if I had more time right now I would look it up for you (can try to find out tomorrow though, I may want to get one myself). I think you can probably also read about them on the FAQ's on here. Going to try to get some sleep now...

4. ItchyNYC

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 14 2012 2:11:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I forgot to add that it could be an allergic reaction to carpet beetles (they don't bite but they cause an allergic reaction that supposedly looks like bites).

5. scaredy cat

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 16 2012 1:44:30
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks everyone. I'm going to do the bed bug monitor, just gathering the supplies needed for the diy monitor (carbon dioxide monitor). I am considering getting propoxur. I really don't know how long I could play with these stupid bugs, I may just break down and call exterminators for rates.

6. 2r4m

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 16 2012 10:45:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I had an infestation of fleas 4 years ago. I dont have a pet and not sure how i got them. I think from a mouse that was in our attic. They would bite us day and night. all over our bodies. yes the bites were mainly on our feet and legs. but i use to see them even on our faces. the bites were very itchy and burned.

And i dont agree that fleas are easier to find and see then bed bugs. My pco and I first thought i had bb, because i had stayed in my moms house for a month, she had bb. Then when i went back home, we started getting bitten. plus we found cast skins in my closet. but never found a live bb. after months of spraying and cleaning my house as if i had bed bugs. i finally was able to catch the bug, i baggged it. found out it was a flea. After about 2 months. it took me a long time to catch them. they jump and are quick.

The pco came and did one spraying of chemicals. we then changed the carpets and painted our house. it was amazing how many dead fleas were in that carpet. I think it doesnt hurt to get a pco. i dont think i could ever do any of this on my own

7. triceratops

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 16 2012 11:01:38
    #

Login to Send PM

hello,
    well if they are indeed bed bugs, you shouldn't have moved to a different room because chances are, they will follow you. I recently moved into this apartment building on july 1st and about 2 weeks into my stay i started waking uo with welts on my arm. which i thought were mosqito bites. i felt this was strange because i didnt remember getting bit.. so i checked my mattress a few times and sure enough .... BED BUGS.
    i removed my bed and box spring and there were baby eggs in my carpet (sick , i know). i boiled water and poured it on them instantly killing them all. and i also vaccumed. i started sleeping in my living room .... now theres bed bugs in my couches >:| .. so i checked the web and i read that you use comet to kill them.. so i tried. which resulted in stopping the bites for a few days.. now im waking up with a few bites but less so.
    diatomaceuos earth is supposed to be a good bed bug killer.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,628 posts in 31,239 topics over 95 months by 13,514 of 17,224 members. Latest: acaris, Closesuise, xMakiMakix