General question on determining stain on wood to bed bug feces

(4 posts)
  1. fredster

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 6:52:32
    #

Login to Send PM

After some great help from you guys (especially Loubugs, David Cain and Nobugsonme - thanks again!), I am beginning to let this bed bug idea go. Just one more question, for my future bed inspections. When looking at a spot on the wooden parts of my bed, trying to determine if it's bed bug feces or not, is it true that if the spot really is bed bug feces, it should quite easily smear if i rub on it with a wet finger? So, if the spot is (super) difficult to get rid of, it's probably not bed bug related. True?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 6:57:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you rub a spot with saliva even the lightest of pressure will cause bed bug faecal to dissolve and smear as evident by this example smear image:

wp0_wp2f0669a6 by David Cain, on Flickr

This is not considered a confirming test of bed bugs and to do so visual confirmation or a positive result with bed bug blue would be needed.

Hope that clarifies.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. fredster

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 7:22:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you David! So in short: No smear confirms that the spot is not bed bug related, but smear on the other hand does not confirm the spot to be from bed bugs. Correct? And this is true even to wood? I thought that maybe the feces would sink into the wood and therefore be hard to smear.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 7:35:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

What I wrote is the short version.

Your statement is not liquid specific and as organic materials can dissolve deferentially in different liquids I am sticking with what I said.

As for soaking into wood its rare to have a wood that is capable of absorbing and locking away 100% of an organic material such as faeces as can be seen in the reference images if you compare pre and post treatment, the amount of material that sits on top of the surface of the wood is usually 800% of that which soaks in. Likely to be due to the way that cells form tube like structures in plants giving a directional appearance to the soak in.

It may help you to look through a microscope to get a clearer perspective on this sort of detail.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,622 posts in 43,065 topics over 129 months by 18,896 of 19,457 members. Latest: Bugtimore, Paranoid34, terrifieddd