Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

furniture removal

(24 posts)
  1. bbinbrklyn

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2007 10:34:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I would like to get of my furniture. I have made the decision to move -- I live in a big apartment building in brooklyn, I have had other problems and this is the final straw -- and I woner how to dispose of my furniture. I do not want to put it out on the street, and I called a waste removal company and they want $1750!!!

2. BBsBlow

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2007 10:35:44
    #

Login to Send PM

If you do end up putting it in the street, clearly mark that it has BBs. Write on it if possible as opposed to putting a sign on it that could blow away. Also, you could cut it to discourage others from taking it.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2007 10:41:39
    #

Login to Send PM

even then, we have found some will take it. they may well be in your bldg, and this may all start all over when they take the stuff.

most PCOs say you do not need to dispose of furniture and they will treat furniture which can then be kept.

the flipside is, you can get rid of it all but you're in a multi-unit building and they keep coming AND you have no furniture...

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. BBsBlow

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2007 10:50:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, that ended up being my experience. In the end I was living in a shell of an apartment with no furniture (well, barely any), and I would still see one on occasion. In my new place I still don't have much furniture. But when I did get rid of my stuff, it was marked, and no one took it. Then again, I put it out the night before the garbage men came, which I think helped in having people not take it. That's terrible that people would still remove it despite warnings!!!!

5. bbinbrklyn

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2007 18:26:18
    #

Login to Send PM

My PCO recommended I toss my furniture, which I am okay with. Its almost all wood stuff, none of it that great or a family heirloom or anything and I want to move. This is the final straw of a bad situation. I would not wish this on anyone and want to make sure no one takes it home with them.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2007 23:31:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I think that's really responsible of you bbinbrklyn, if you MUST get rid of it, to get it done professionally somehow.

Or at least do as BBsBlow did- find out when the garbage truck comes, and put it out right before. I mean if they come at 4 am, go out AS LATE as you can. The later the better--because people are always looking. It is sad, but we hear it a lot.

Parakeets is in a building being treated long-term, and someone in her building dragged a mattress from the street into the basement. These are people who know their building is infested. It is amazing, but some people do not care.

7. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2007 0:07:06
    #

Login to Send PM

i'll bet there are cheaper places than that ... if you really de bug it, first at home home you could even then donate it with a clear concience to a place that will pick it up for free--a charitable organization.
    There are ways .... isolating someting ...
    it takes a while but it will also be getting the bugs out of stuff you DO want to keep too!

8. bbinbrklyn

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2007 10:29:18
    #

Login to Send PM

the only stuff I want to keep is some clothing, books, my laptop and some personal/sentimental items. I am thinking of going the 18 month storage route.

9. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2007 11:24:11
    #

Login to Send PM

this sounds best for you storing preciousstuff at mom's house--really really get some compressed air and do a bang up job on the laptop.
    They will live in there too!--even lay eggs!.
    You can de-bug a laptop but it takes up to a month and you have to follow a special proceedure ....If want to know more ask me in pm.

throw out furniture 3 days after last of three PCO visits you have planned. And, mark it as infested anyway

10. bugfood

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2007 13:42:46
    #

Login to Send PM

We are moving due to this bb problem, and the building management's disinterest in treating it correctly, ie., (notifying/spraying adjacent units). So we are leaving with 2-weeks clothes and some documents and jewelry we will freeze first.

I have a bad back and have already moved hundreds of lbs of old clothes, wall-units, books, toys, bed/boxspring...Plus will have to help move some new furniture into the new place. How do I get rid of what is here in the old place?

There's like four dressers, large table, chairs w/hutch, 2 couches and a love-seat, 3 TV's, 2-more wall units and a chest freezer, large desk...

The $$$ we've already spent plus what we will be spending/borrowing, I really feel like just leaving everything and defacing it, so the corrupt LL won't re-sell it.

I can't believe some family that know what we've gone through in this bad infestation, have told us to 'just sell it to strangers'...I wish I had no conscience some days!

If the stuff was really debugged, (after 2 sprayings), I would do so, but we are still getting bitten, and seeing bbs in the couches and on the baseboards...

Can/would a building management try and bill us for leaving a full apt, even when we are leaving it b/c of their ineffectiveness?

I guess we'll find out soon...
    bf
    --

11. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2007 15:41:45
    #

Login to Send PM

me personally--I'd send a rrr letter stating your view to the Landlord and in it--I'd say I'd not expect to be put thru even more hassles due to your negligence, incompetance or whatever it is. If it is in your lease, I'd bring it up in the letter and I'd also point out where landlord had not met resposibility.
    Sure ... a can of bright red paint will help deface it (just don't throw any on the landlord)

12. bbinbrklyn

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2007 18:10:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I have my treatment this tuesday. Afterwards, can I toss stuff, marked, late at night? I know i can only do so much and that if people want it, they will take it no matter, but I am trying to do the right thing.

13. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2007 18:39:45
    #

Login to Send PM

ask you pco how long the poisons he applies last--toss it on the LAST treatment on the LAST day it woudl effectively be being treated.
    Why would you do it this tuesday if it is not the last treatment.
    Eggs are laid anywhere--especially in a desk drawers, or in a cousioned chair, or in a crack where wood joints meet--any screw-head seen or hidden ...
    You could douse everything with 91% r alcohol too-on top of this--and THEN mark it up--AND then have your clear concscience and really have it rightly so!
    People with Bed bugs are always in a rush--they need to think 2 months of this--not 2 days.
    So you are not the first nor will you be the last to seem to want to rush treatment. it's just not like treatment for roaches at all.

14. bbinbrklyn

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2007 18:48:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in NYC we rush. As I have said -- i want out of this place, I can not bear the thought of two months here. Nor can I bear the thought of bringing them with me. I know its making me mentally sick just living here and I think possiby physically sick.

Catch-22? What's a girl to do?

15. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2007 18:50:36
    #

Login to Send PM

YOGA!

16. bbinbrklyn

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2007 18:52:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Funny you say that -- I do a lot of yoga already. It does help keep me calm. Brings me to another question about the gym/yoga place.

17. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2007 19:07:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Ziplocks for all your gym stuff--seperate zippies for all your clothes--seperate one for both sets of foot-wear 4 bags total plus your personal stuff--so that's 5 bags/"zippies".There is xl and large that will suffcie for some of these.
    And--all of this is to protect you and others. A publich change room can be more prone to having bed bugs--as would say the public showers for the YWCA or a shelter--or a top notch Yoga spa clinnic house. Bed bugs can go into bathrooms but they usually don't: I keep the towel in bathroom on the metal bar where shower curtain would be drawn across. I keep my wash clothes bagged and my lovely terry robe bagged: (I air it out to dry before I do bag it back up.)
    I wash it and all frequently worn clothing/bedding ... frequently ie 3 times weekly for first 3 weeks then a bit lax like 2 times for a month then maybe every week--with checking the clothing here andthere for any bed bug clinging in little corners and ruffles and snaps and buttons and belt loops and seams and cuffs.

18. bbinbrklyn

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2007 19:15:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay here's the thing: I was expecting my PCO Friday, due to my not confirming, he is not coming until Tuesday. SInce they wanted to treat my bookcases and dressers everything, well almost everything, I own is in zippies in the bathroom - where they told me to put it. Should I drag it all out? Or just put my gym clothes in one zippie, work clothes in another, in the morning put on gym clothes, bring work clothes and shower at the gym? putting gym clothes in zippie after I shower?

19. wantmyskinback

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2007 23:39:49
    #

Login to Send PM

LISTEN... ON MONDAY... GO OUT AND YOU HAVE TO GET A CAN OF ORANGE SPRAY PAINT TO DEFACE THE FURNITURE and it has to say INFESTED WITH BED BUGS on it DO NOT REMOVE . If someone takes it knowingly then they are at least notified. If you do not deface the furniture you are KNOWINGLY possibly spreading the bugs... thoughts?

20. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 11 2007 0:14:13
    #

Login to Send PM

HEY NY ... ‘THAT GIRL” bbrooklyn …
    You need some r alcohol in a spray bottle as a contact kill until your klean-free arrives--watch the heat and electric concerns with this volatile fluid. It kills bed bugs on contact.
    while your at it--you could spray the furniture and douse it with it--let it dry--then dispose of it with orange paint on it! like in the next few days--guilt concious free
    but to do it--an average kitchen table would probably take 2 bottles or r alcohol--wiped on liberally in all cracks etc ... let it dry overnight.
    conscious free disposal--fast efficient very NEW YORK!
    don;t get any in your eyes; if you kill 80 bugs this way 12year rrom now they would have reproduced to make over 10,00 bugs!
    What a killling! All for 6 buck a peiece of furniture with orange paint, yest WMSB is right bright orange is the way to go here!
    Save some r alcohol for yourself too!--to spray on the bugs in 10days kill as many as you can--and you might as well start on the stuff your throwing out. for all the next 10 days they will be getting out of that stuff and trying to bite you--so kill them (if not for the pedestreans)--for yourself! That's like 20-40 less bites!

21. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 11 2007 0:21:04
    #

Login to Send PM

bbroklyn also ...
    Plain palstic all around the bed makeshift until yo get an regular allergy cover is also recoomended--thick plastic--the less they bite you the less they lay eggs and reproduce!
    Seal this plastic tightly 100%--but even if you only put it on temporarily--it ewill help until the PCO comes to "spray the matress" i think that's what you said right?

22. bbinbrklyn

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 11 2007 15:53:13
    #

Login to Send PM

PCO is coming tomorrow. Should I wait a day or two and then seal the mattress in plastic or seal it tomorrow night a few hours after he has left?

23. nightshirt

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 11 2007 16:49:02
    #

Login to Send PM

ask the pco. he/she should be available for pre-treatment information you need.

24. bbinbrklyn

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 11 2007 16:52:52
    #

Login to Send PM

oh yes, I have spent much time on the phone with the PCO compant, they have been great. I just wanted the opinions of others.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

192,888 posts in 29,749 topics over 91 months by 12,861 of 20,151 members. Latest: redfruit, JEPA, paranoiditch