Fun with bed bugs and diatomaceous earth

(13 posts)
  1. sweetblood

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 12:50:02
    #

Login to Send PM

caught one and zipped it in a bag with some DE. stay tuned...

2. sweetblood

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 21:44:43
    #

Login to Send PM

update: I know it takes a while for the DE to work its magic but the process is interesting. caught another and threw it in the mix. (smaller one.) the first one looks to be an adult and it still looks full from wrist lunch this morning from when i caught it. they are now both covered in DE and wiggling happily.

I will give them some occasional oxygen so they dont suffocate before the DE kicks in. (Cmon DE!)

I'd still love to hear from someone who has witnessed DE success

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 22:28:03
    #

Login to Send PM

In testing DE can take up to 10 days to kill but in a bag constantly rolling in it I would venture they will not last a week.

In the war on BBs the Geneva Convention doesn't apply to captives.

Jim

4. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 29 2009 2:26:06
    #

Login to Send PM

jim - try to restrain that merciless and evil side you have

5. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 29 2009 10:11:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Adele - 7 hours ago  » 
    jim - try to restrain that merciless and evil side you have

Mwahahahahahahahah!!!!!!

No.

Jim

6. de-selftreat

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 29 2009 10:47:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I have found dead/dried bugs in my DE but still wonder if a bed bug that has dried out because of DE looks different from a shed skin. Are shed skins headless? And I haven't been bitten for two weeks, though I attribute that mainly to having dismantled my bed, seen where the bugs were hiding, caught all those I could, and washed the wooden bedframe with Murphy's oil soap, as well as caulking etc. I like to think that DE played a role, but it's not entirely clear.

Fingers crossed.

Also, I think in a bag they are unlikely to suffocate for at least a month, I'd imagine far more, so you needn't open it in my opinion. Do keep us updated though. Thanks.

7. sweetblood

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 29 2009 12:48:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Day 2: both bed bugs DEAD. ha.

I'm starting to feel better about DE. The first bug I ever caught was stored in a smaller bag with no DE and lived a week. These two in a rather large bag with not much DE and they're gone. (And theyre actually dead, not just being still as they will occasionally do.) I'll be looking for more to experiment with in other ways.

8. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 29 2009 15:41:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Dusts rock in cracks and crevices. Liquid goes down only, where a dust will poof in fine cloud and settle on all surfaces.

You have a gap under the baseboards where the BBs are hiding on the top of the void. Spray with liquid you have to hope either the vapors affect them or they walk all the way down and hit the residue. Dusts poof into the void with some rising to hit the bastards direct and lightly coating the void as the cloud spreads and falls to where they have to walk though it no matter which way they go.

Jim

9. sweetblood

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 29 2009 16:40:02
    #

Login to Send PM

De-self, how long did you have the infestation? I, too have a wooden bed frame and I'd love to assume that they would just stay there out of convenience, but neither I or any of the techs who have been out can find enough evidence to suggest that they dwell there. Where exactly did you find them?

10. F@ Bed Bugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 30 2009 0:41:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm wondering if anyone knows if DE will help prevent a pregnant adult from laying any/as many eggs, and/or if the DE would destroy the egg if it was laid on some powder?

11. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 30 2009 0:54:19
    #

Login to Send PM

DE does not, to my knowledge, destroy the eggs. There are only two ways that I know of to kill the eggs: high heat or one chemical pesticide. The one chemical pesticide that works on eggs doesn't work on 100% of the eggs. The difficulty of killing eggs is one major reason that treating bed bugs is so difficult and that chemical treatment requires more than one trip.

High heat does work if it's dry vapor steam, being run through a sufficiently hot dryer, and/or thermally treating the whole place.

My understanding is that DE works mechanically on the bugs' exoskeletons. I'm no PCO but my guess is that walking through DE or other drying dusts wouldn't affect the propensity of bugs to lay eggs.

There are some chemicals that are insect growth regulators (IGRs) that as a group in general are designed to prevent bugs from laying viable eggs. But it's also my understanding that PCOs are not in universal agreement about how helpful they are with bed bugs.

12. de-selftreat

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 30 2009 10:07:07
    #

Login to Send PM

@sweetblood: Mostly they were in the corners, where the bed was screwed together (not sure if yours is like this too). So I had to unscrew all the corner joints, essentially taking the bed apart, and then I caught several that were visible and washed with Murphy's Oil Soap just in case I missed some. A week later I found some in one corner joint again (by unscrewing it)—a second stage instar in particular I was proud of (I've never seen/caught a first stage instar)—so I repeated the procedure. Also I noticed some cracks in the bedframe, which I filled in with wood putty; also the knots on my cheap bed have cracks, some of which I filled in and others I (perhaps temporarily, don't know if tape lasts 18 months) taped over with transparent tape. But I never found any eggs, so am still anxious there's another harborage somewhere. All told it's been about six weeks since I had the infested furniture (a wardrobe from the street), two weeks so far without bites. Pray for me!

13. sweetblood

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Aug 4 2009 18:26:30
    #

Login to Send PM

De-self, after reading your response, I finally broke down and took the bed apart and voila! infestation. I'm hoping i took care of all of them but who knows. I got a few adults and some babies and I suppose i got some eggs (still not really sure what they look like.)

Like yours, they were in corners. I dont think the pco really treated the bed frame like he claimed. I will keep my eye out with my DE and my sprayaway. Thanks for your help:)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.