Frustrated Teen - Please help!

(5 posts)
  1. flowerpower9

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jan 17 2017 3:38:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, everyone. This is my first post, but I've been lurking around for some time. Hopefully, I'm posting this correctly. My family has been dealing with bed bugs since around late July 2016. I was the first to notice them. For a week or two, I had been itchy and had what I thought were mosquito bites on my legs. That was until I saw a bed bug on a dress I pulled from the closet, although I assumed it was something else, considering I had never seen a bed bug before. Out of curiosity, I googled the bug's appearance and the nightmare began to unfold.

I researched quite a bit and let everyone in the house know. My grandma cleaned my room (shared with my younger brother) and sprayed some generic bed bug spray, finding three live bugs on the mattress. This didn't (and still doesn't) stop me from getting bitten. I told my aunt and mom to check their rooms, but they brushed off my concerns. I found bed bugs in my mom's room as I was studying in there and a few babies were racing towards me. Upon further inspection, I saw a huge black spot (fecal matter, ew) and live bugs on the corner of her mattress (opposite the side I was sitting on). My grandma sprayed and my mom cleaned and sprayed as well. Just two weeks ago, my aunt discovered a pretty gross infestation in her room. We had to throw out one of her mattresses. The remaining ones have fecal spots all over. You can probably guess that the course of action was to spray, vacuum, blah blah blah.

I don't think our problem is too insane, but I'm tired of this. On numerous occasions I've brought a bed bug to school with me despite drying my clothes and inspecting shoes and bags before I walk out of the door. My worst fear is people finding out and judging me, or worse-- giving these creatures to some other poor soul. My family often struggles to make ends meet, so getting an exterminator really isn't an option. (I've tried getting my grandma to bring one in.) Packing up our stuff is inconvenient, considering that everyone is very busy. On top of all this, nobody sees this as a huge issue besides me, which makes this even more frustrating.

Right now I'm just killing bugs when I see them, drying my clothes, and inspecting stuff...taking basic preventative measures. My grandma sprays and vacuums my room when she can. The most recent spraying was a week ago. I've seen and killed a baby bed bug almost every day since then. I have no idea what my mom and aunt are doing, or if they even care at all. If you're wondering about my grandma, she sleeps in the living room and hasn't seen any up there. The only other place I've seen a bug is right outside the bathroom, probably after biting me.

I'm a bit desperate at this point and it's a bit difficult for me to navigate how to deal with the situation using resources I've found. Can someone here give me an idea of how to get rid of these bed bugs without spending a whole lot of money? Is it even possible? I'd like to believe there's some hope. As I've said before, calling an exterminator isn't feasible for my family. Sorry for the wall of text. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Oh, boy.
  2. mp7ski

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jan 17 2017 4:59:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. These pests not only effect your health physically but even worse, mentally, which is my biggest problem right now. It's unfortunate you are in the situation you are in right now, having a family that doesn't take the situation seriously and won't bring in an exterminator is a tough situation.

You are taking the right precautions. I usually dry my clothes and coat for over an hour in the dryer before I leave my house and dry my shoes once a week and keep them isolated in a bag or outside indetween then. After drying I put on my clothes and walk straight out of the house. Be mindful of anything else you take as well, purses, backpacks, etc. can all harbor them as well. Anything that can be dried or heated above 122°F for a while should be.

Without money it is hard to do much about your situation besides take precautions when leaving. Utilize your vacuum and discard the bag or empty the bin outside of the home immediately after use. Vacuum your mattress and box spring thoroughly and if possible put it on a basic metal frame with legs. If you have a steam cleaner, use it on your mattress and box spring as well as your carpet and the baseboards or any crack or cravice, be VERY thorough and go VERY slow.

With a little bit of money you can start improving your situation. Look into Cimexa and how to use it properly. If you can afford it, buy decent quality mattress encasements after steaming and vacuuming your mattress and box spring and applying cimexa. Buy interceptors to put under your bed frame legs and pull your bed away from the wall. Apply cimexa to your bed frame and baseboards and cracks and crevices. Declutter your room. Nothing unnecessary should be sitting on the floor or near your bed. Keep dirty clothes in trash bags and clean clothes in clean jumbo zip lock bags or trash bags as well, try and keep the clean clothes bag off the floor or anything known to be infested. When taking b out clean clothes, do the dryer routine. You should be able to do this with $100-200. Idk how old you are but start think about how you will eventually get out of the situation. Moving out with almost nothing may be how, even if it's years down the road and anything you do leave with should be treated.

I'm not an expert, just trying to help. Hope your situation improves. Just keep in mind, it's a bug that bites, you won't die. It sucks but it's not the end of the world. I find staying busy doing things to help the issue helps my anxiety. Just try and save up some money and look into the things I mentioned.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jan 17 2017 15:57:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Please post some images of any bed bugs and any fecal or cast skins that you find. This will take some work to clear the infestation, it will take the cooperation of all members of the family.
    But, let's not get ahead of ourselves, pictures first to rule out the possibility of close relatives or something like booklice.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  4. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jan 17 2017 16:28:11
    #

Login to Send PM

5. bugged-cdn

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jan 17 2017 17:40:10
    #

Login to Send PM

But, let's not get ahead of ourselves, pictures first to rule out the possibility of close relatives or something like booklice.

Yes, this is good advice. Post a hi-res picture for the pros to confirm you have bed bugs before you start exterminating anything.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,596 posts in 43,507 topics over 131 months by 19,061 of 19,650 members. Latest: lexie0490, onyva, Ruth989