Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Friend has bedbugs will I get?

(6 posts)
  1. blazingstars

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 23:05:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a good friend across the street and it appears she may have bed bugs. I visit daily as well as my 10 and 13 year old sons.
    What is the likelyhood of us getting bedbugs from visitng. I would really hate for the kids not to be able to play together.

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 23:49:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I would suggest you start by reading the FAQs we have on this subject.

3. blazingstars

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 23:55:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I have scrolled through those already but they all deal wth spending nights and such.We just go over there for a couple of hrs drink coffee whatever and go home.
    If there not active during the day and the kids do not go in the bedrooms I wonder if it would be okay.

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 24 2011 0:05:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs are a pest of exposure. If you're exposed, you're risking an infestation.

Normally bed bugs are only active at night, but unless you know how big the infestation is--and you're 100% sure that no one in the home in question is sleeping during the day (bed bugs will shift their feeding schedule to match the sleep schedule of the food source, i.e. the people living there), you cannot be sure that your kids won't be exposed.

Bed bugs are also somewhat badly named. They can harbor anywhere that is close to a good food source: couches, desk chairs, night stands, baseboards near places that people sleep.

If you and your children are visiting a home that has a known bed bug infestation--no matter what time of day the visits take place during, or what room or rooms you're hanging out in--you should be taking the same precautionary steps outlined in the FAQ as if you'd been in a hotel room that you knew had bed bugs: reduce the number of items taken with you, remove all clothes worn there upon a return to your residence and wash and dry those clothes in hot water, find a way to decontaminate shoes.

At the same time, having bed bugs can be very socially isolating. If the people across the street are close friends, they would probably profoundly appreciate not being treated like lepers and having a friend who could continue to provide support--even if that support is just visits from friends during which they don't talk about bed bugs.

I know that my friends who were willing to help me out with the prep and came into my home before treatment--all of whom I informed and cautioned to take the steps outlined in those FAQs-- were a lifeline to me

However, if you want to dramatically increase your chances of not having to deal with a bed bug infestation in your home, you do need to follow the protocols outlined in those FAQs--even though you're not sleeping there, even if you visit only during the day, and even if you stay out of the bedrooms--until the active infestation has been professionally treated and the residence is free of bugs and any other bed bug related signs (bites, new fecal matter, cast skins) for at least two months.

5. blazingstars

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 24 2011 0:09:12
    #

Login to Send PM

kk cool thanks for the explanation huge help.

6. Rosae

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 24 2011 3:41:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, although a lot of exterminators would disagree, you can get bed bugs by only standing still for a fraction of a minute if they are hungry. Also spraying with pyrethroids can make them really plucky.

I think they will show more "normal" behavior if they are well fed and undisturbed.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,857 posts in 31,281 topics over 95 months by 13,530 of 14,308 members. Latest: PolkaBox, bugsinarizona, slyhlndrs01