Fourth company on the job..still getting bitten..really need advice

(11 posts)
  1. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Dec 11 2016 15:42:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there, So this problem we´ve had for 15 months now, we´re in Madrid, Spain. In all this time, Ive only ever seen one bed bug myself, a large adult female. PCOs have seen the odd one in the corridors and in one of the bedrooms.
    First PCO was a cheap spray quickly and go company. I was foolish, I trusted them, didn´t know what I know now, I think all they did was spread them about the house and they used a Permetrin.
    2nd company, much better, they used various products: Pyrthroids, Chlorfenapyr and Acetamiprid in aerosols, gels and powders.
    3rd company used a special steamer and Ficam (Bendiocarb powder)
    I then emptied the house of all furniture, but beds and all mattresses are in anti bedbug covers. All clothes are now in zip lock bags. I bought a drier, I built a thermal box - very effective by the way. But stuff is still in store.
    Fourth company uses Pyrthroids and Ficam again (Bendiocarb) powders and gels only. They didn´t do kitchen or bathroom. They claim to be the best in the city. They have a guarentee of 3 months.
    And now 4 days after they did their first treatment I´m being bitten again.
    I really don´t know what to do now.
    The house is old, old wooden floorboards with lots of cracks.
    Obviously I am at end of tether. Don´t know whether to just move now. That this has no solution. I have ordered some food grade DE, but really would appreciate any advice.
    Should I buy some different chemicals from the US and use them? I´m a biologist, I spent years working with insects (bees though). I talk to the fourth company and the more we talk, the more It seems obvious that I know so much more about this than them. After claiming there was no literature on resistance in bed bugs to insecticides, I sent them a load of literature from journals. I don´t think they´ve bothered to read them and they´re like the best company in the city.
    So if anybody has any ideas about what we should do, I´d be soooo grateful.
    Many many thanks

2. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Dec 11 2016 15:44:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh and by the way. I dont think the neighbours have them I think it´s just us. They arrived in the house as the local cinema was infested and the day after this problem started, they shut down for treatment..we had been there the day before.
    We have a great relationship with the concierge. In Spain we have these. And he knows everything. So nobody else has them..or if they do, they don´t know they have them.

3. bedbugsbugme

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Dec 11 2016 16:12:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Well it's quite a but more costly but you should look into heat treatment. They cannot be immune to that like they can be with LOTS of the chemicals out there. The PCO will heat your home to 150 degrees for several hours. So no matter where they hide, the heat will kill them in seconds.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  4. bedbugsbugme

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Dec 11 2016 16:16:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you live in an apartment or duplex or any type of house that's connected to your neighbors? If so your neighbors could have them without knowing and they could be creeping back and forth between homes. If you had them then most likely they have them. But keep in mind this only applies to homes that are physically connected.

5. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Dec 11 2016 17:05:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey,
    the heat treatment is obscenely expensive for my place. Its big. There are flats attached, one above, one below. But like I say those people IF they have them don´t know or the concierge would know. So more chemicals is not the answer then? What about the Mikron? I´m getting bitten a lot. I think they´re in our place, we just don´t know where...and the heat treatment guy was here like 8 times...
    Really I can´t see a way out of this. I´m gonna try some DE..I just ordered it online..

6. bedbugsbugme

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Dec 11 2016 18:17:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah your entire building needs to be treated and they have to comply with the proper prep in getting rid of them. Only way I can see this going away is try to seal every crack and crevice especially outlets and ventilation pipes. I know there is some info on this website that tells you how to do it.

7. wishtheywereextinct

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Dec 11 2016 20:20:51
    #

Login to Send PM

i know it's insanely expensive, but at this point, i think the heat treatment is your best bet. although, if others in your building have them, it would not eliminate them in the other rooms. i have been obsessed with researching bed bugs ever since I had them a year ago, and I have read that if you do have them, DE may in fact agitate them instead of eliminating them. of course in some cases it is effective, but it seems that if you have already tried chemicals, powders, and gels, and they are still not eliminated, then the DE may cause more of an issue.

i am absolutely no expert so i would wait for one of the pros to respond before doing anything else.

8. bedbugsbugme

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Dec 11 2016 20:25:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I personally think DE will make them feed more aggressivly since they are being dehydrated from it. They will feed every night to try rehydrate. This is just my personal thoughts though.

9. Norestnosleepnopeace

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 12 2016 5:45:57
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 9 hours ago  » 
    I personally think DE will make them feed more aggressivly since they are being dehydrated from it. They will feed every night to try rehydrate. This is just my personal thoughts though.

I wonder if that makes them survive the DE, biting every night?

10. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 12 2016 12:57:10
    #

Login to Send PM

So really the DE is not a good option? And the Mikron product also not a good idea..i.e. self treating a bit also?

11. AliceAlarmed

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 12 2016 13:06:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Norestnosleepnopeace - 7 hours ago  » 

bedbugsbugme - 9 hours ago  » 

I wonder if that makes them survive the DE, biting every night?

Both of these hypotheses don't make any biological sense to me. The dehydration is not of the type you and I have when we're in hot weather or when we're running a marathon ;). The kind you can replenish by drinking.

The DE is affecting their body cells directly and no amount of fluid intake will help.

I hope an expert can confirm, but I am pretty sure the theory that they're "more thirsty because dehydrated" and "can survive DE if they simply drink more" is not accurate at all.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,404 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams