(4 posts)
  1. Anxious123

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 31 2011 14:42:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone,
    For all of those who read this thank you. So here is my story. Three weeks ago I was laying in bed and I had a feeling I saw something move. When I turn my blanket I found an adult bed bug. I panicked and caught it and looked up pictures online to confirm. It was an adult bed bug. I flushed it and regret not keeping it. I went into panic mode. I washed all my clothes in hot water. I vacuumed my entire bed. Searched the sheets and mattress, bedspring and found nothing. There were no traces of bedbugs. I did have three bites in a row show up twelve hours after I found the bed bug. My friend is a super at a building in Manhattan. I called him and asked him what should I do. He gave me gentrol and told me to mix it with water and spray my room and any where I put my bags full of clothes in. I asked my family to leave and I washed all my clothes and my sisters clothes because her room and my room are connected. I sprayed all the edges of my house and did my entire walls. I sprayed all the furniture. I searched and searched but found no bed bugs. I even used the spray on my sofas. I also sprayed my basement because that is where I kept my clothes. My friend stated that after I spray I can put all my clothes back. I covered all the cracks in my room especially where the cables lead to my sisters room. I put only my coats back up and half my clothes are in bags. I will spray again this weekend and again in two weeks. I am praying this will do it. Most people stated that it takes about a month. My friend also gave me some powder that I put around the the dressers and the carpet around my floor. I haven't had any bites but a day ago I woke up with one bite. It was itchy, not sure if it is bed bug because I know they bite in a row. My friend stated that this should do it but who knows. Please help me. After furthing my education about bed bugs I regret not keeping the bug and getting an exterminator. I been panicing and only sleep when I take a sleeping pill. How worried should I be. Should I get a professional if this doesn't work after a month. My friend stated that he deals with this in his building and it will do the job. Also I live in the second floor of a house and I plan to spray the first floor as well. I own the house and have so much furniture. I am trying to avoid an infestation.

2. so unsettling

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 31 2011 15:26:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm. I don't know much about Gentrol, but thought it was usually used, if at all, in conjunction with an insecticide. Did your friend give you any written material with instructions about how to use this? It's really not a good idea to just spray with something and not know much about it. I don't think any of these products are meant to be sprayed all over the walls or everywhere on furniture--the instructions specify where to place it and, most importantly, give you SAFETY instructions.

It's said to be some kind of growth regulator, which I assume means it is designed to affect baby bugs rather than adults. The jury is still out on it; there has been at least one negative report.

If it were me, I would speak to a PCO. Let him/her know what you did, and see what the response is. I would do this before spraying any more of anything. Good luck to you.

3. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 31 2011 16:10:45
    #

Login to Send PM

A more important question than "did I do it right?" is "did I solve my problem?".

What's done is done. Now you can monitor what happens. We have a good FAQ here and I urge you to read it. Also, please skim this excellent manual. These will empower you in your next steps if you need to continue your battle.

People have done the "right" thing and needed several rounds. Others have done the "wrong" thing and solved their problem (if they had one to begin with).

…and what SU said about "blind" use of pesticides or growth regulators.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  4. bugnut

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 31 2011 21:53:10
    #

Login to Send PM

FYI gentrol is a growth inhibitor which only affects male bbs (it "clubs" their - a-hem - penis) So if you sprayed it on a female it will have no effect. As so unsettling mentioned it is usually used in conjunction with other pesiticides. The fact you have another bite is not a good sign. However, you may have caught the problem early.

If I were you, I would call a PCO. You are lucky in that you own your one home (as do i) and do not have to worry about other tenants cooperating. Attacking the problem early in the infestation will likely give you a better outcome.

Good Luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,787 posts in 29,331 topics over 90 months by 12,647 of 19,900 members. Latest: mightywarrior, badbadbug, crawlinginmyownskin