(5 posts)
  1. BrooklynBBNYC

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 10 2012 17:08:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

The other day when I was changing my bed sheets to do laundry, I found what I believe is a very dead and dried out bedbug. It was very flat and had no legs. My wife and I (as far as we know) never had bites, and I've search our room and haven't found blood stains, bug poop, skins, or living bugs, or anything else. One theory I have it that I got it from the local laundry mat dryer last time we washed, but I really have no idea. Another is the buidling next store (whom we share a wall with) has in the last month starting do construction. It possible it could have come from there but it seems weird to me if it just crawled there and died and dried out.

Should I call a PCO to inspect my apartment? And will they do that for free? Any other advice?

Here are several pictures. It that best I could do with my camera:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/76379865@N06/sets/72157629262329415/

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 10 2012 17:17:31
    #

Login to Send PM

We discourage posting with real names or identifying information, as this can expose you to discrimination in employment, housing, social, etc. Your photo link points to an album with what looks like a real name. We recommend you set up a photo account with a pesudonym and link to that. You have about 45 minutes to edit your post.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. buggerinLA

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 10 2012 17:19:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

New to this forum, but wanted to add my story.

I am experiencing a very similar problem, and there doesn't seem to be much qualified information online about this phenomenon.

About a week ago I started to find several (5-7 at first) dried up, very brittle old, dead bugs -- very similar to the photo you posted. At first I thought they were small roaches, as I live in a large building (50 units) and have noticed some roaches before. These however, upon research looked like bed bugs, just as you described...dried up, missing legs, looking starved.

Most info online suggests that finding dead bugs is a GOOD thing, but I immediately contacted my building manager and had her take a look. She indeed agreed the specimens looked to be bed bugs and agreed to call a PCO in.

Fast forward to the next day -- the PCO arrives and I show them the samples I collected. They are baffled. They have never seen any dead bugs like this without an infestation. I scoured my belongings, bed, everywhere and could find no traces of live ones -- no blood, no excrement or castings, and I have no bites (though I know that is not always a sign since many people don't react the same way to bed bug bites).

My PCO sprayed DE everywhere in my small studio. I have a futon, and they doused the mattress and frame, as well as the baseboards. I laundered everything I own, including curtains and rugs, and sealed them up in XXXL Ziplocs.

I am back in my house now and cleaning up the DE aftermath (except the baseboards -- they told me to sweep the excess up against the walls to keep protecting them from getting in, which I have complied). I also wiped down all my furniture that had DE residue with 91% alcohol mixed with hot water, then wiped again with hot water. So far, the place is very clean, which is a plus!

However, sweeping today I still found more dead bugs. Very tiny, tiny guys, and again, very brittle and seemingly long dead! I am very confused.

I consulted my neighbor to let her know she should be on the look out for bugs and she informed me, rather casually, that "oh, I had bed bugs about 3 months ago and I sprayed for them to get rid of them" -- however, she did not go through the building manager or use a PCO-- I think she used an over the counter spray, probably.

Could these dead BBs be the result of her spraying and they're just coming out to die now? I know DE takes some time to work, so I don't think they're dying just yet from that.

Sorry for the long reply, but if anyone can provide some insight into this, it would be awesome!

A

4. BrooklynBBNYC

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 10 2012 17:25:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Just changed my username on my flickr to something more anonymous. Thanks for the recommendation.

buggerinla. You situation sounds even stranger then mine. If they are long dead, how did they get there. And how did one get on my mattress. Anyways, I should probably call a PCO, and have them check it out. Did you landlord pay for your spraying?

5. buggerinLA

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 10 2012 17:35:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess "long dead" is just my estimation. They are adults that look very dried out.

They look pretty similar to these guys (not my photo):
    http://www.broadwayexterminating.com/Images/bedbugs.jpg

But even browner and dried out, with black spots on them. I have only found 2 or 3 that have been that size, the rest are like the size of an ant (not an ant, trust me).

Every few days I do a sweep of the baseboards and keep finding the dead ones in the same spots, which leads me to believe they are coming out of somewhere. It's kind of driving me crazy.

Since I got the PCO in there, I feel like I was being proactive, since I've never seen a live one (to my knowledge), so maybe I'm okay. Though its making it very hard to feel comfortable at home.

My landlord did agree to pay for the PCO...but I am a very good tenant, and its kind of a rough building. I think she may have feared I would report her or move out (which I plan to in a few weeks, once I know for sure I will not be bringing the bugs with me).

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.