(8 posts)
  1. Nobuggies1

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Jan 7 2018 17:53:31
    #

Login to Send PM

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/137893210@N08/z9ZQ2t][/url]

Hi new to this site and hoping to receive some much needed help. Not very tech savvy so please advise if I did not add the Flickr link for photos correctly.

Noticed bites on my right ankle about five days ago, blood smear on pillowcase and blanket three days ago and in my relentless search in our bedding found what looks to be a bedbug two days ago. We have not seen any fecal stains or any other evidence. We have not to our knowledge had bedbugs before.

Appreciate any and all help.

2. Nobuggies1

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Jan 7 2018 18:17:52
    #

Login to Send PM

3. thirdusername

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Jan 7 2018 18:29:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not a pro and they are too close for me to tell.
    They look like bed bugs but not enough like mine for me to say for sure either way.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  4. SS864

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Jan 7 2018 20:41:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a pro, but yeah, you should start reading the FAQs on this site right away if you haven't already.

5. Nobuggies1

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Jan 7 2018 21:26:20
    #

Login to Send PM

thirdusername - 2 hours ago  » 
    I'm not a pro and they are too close for me to tell.
    They look like bed bugs but not enough like mine for me to say for sure either way.

Thank you for reply, sorry you have gone through this madness.

6. Nobuggies1

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Jan 7 2018 21:29:55
    #

Login to Send PM

SS864 - 45 minutes ago  » 
    Not a pro, but yeah, you should start reading the FAQs on this site right away if you haven't already.

Thanks for your reply. Was afraid of hearing that but expected it.

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Jan 7 2018 23:28:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobuggies1 - 1 hour ago  » 

Yes. Bed bug. Do you know why you have them? Apartment? Visitors? Travels?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  8. Nobuggies1

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Jan 8 2018 12:01:45
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 11 hours ago  » 

Nobuggies1 - 1 hour ago  » 

Yes. Bed bug. Do you know why you have them? Apartment? Visitors? Travels?

Thanks for the ID, your confirmation was the one I was bracing myself to hear. We don't know how we got them as no one in our inner circle has any history of them that we were informed about. We live in a townhouse and have two elementary /middle school aged boys with busy sporting schedules that take them to various locales. My husband travels about once a month for business and does check his surroundings where he stays and does not recall any signs of bedbugs.

Our neighbor (shared walkway/not shared wall) had bedbugs late last spring, was treated through heat and said that for the $2000 price tag it eradicated the pests. I was in her home once four months following the treatment where I had to climb across her child's bed to get out onto roof to retrieve a soccer ball that got stuck. Is it possible for that encounter in September to not produce any signs until January?

Other than that occasion, it remains a mystery as to how/where we encountered said bug/bugs.

Was I just lucky in seeing it crawling across the pillow or is it an indication that we have a heavy infestation? Taking a closer look there maybe fecal spots (have not seen any staining)directly on top of the sheet. Those would be hard little black dots correct? We are waiting for a PCO to come for an inspectation. We have washed all the bedding, vacuumed and cleaned hardwood with Murphys oil soap. But fear we may have transferred those nasty hitchikers through our house as we brought the unbagged bedding downstairs to the laundry room. Our bedframe was old/rickety and have not had one for sometime. Our boxspring/mattress is directly on the floor which probably complicates the future prevention once treatment occurs correct?

I am working my way through reading the FAQ's on this site and am feeling overwhelmed but am grateful that your site exists to provide such informative information.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,522 posts in 46,597 topics over 142 months by 20,552 of 21,418 members. Latest: Nicky, pestbreaker, TRAY