Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Found bug but no evidence on beds.

(17 posts)
  1. lifes2good

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Apr 12 2012 17:31:29
    #

Login to Send PM

My son was living in a home infested with bed bugs. He left the home not taking anything. I took his clothing to a commercial laudrymat for 20 mins ran all his clothing and shoes in the dryer, then bought new rubbermaid containers and stored his clothing in the containers.. He moved into the house with me 70 days later. We unpacked all his clothing and he has been living here for two months. Today he found a bed bug on the ceiling during the day near and air conditioner vent. It was amature bug with no blood in it. We checked every bed here and have found no evidence of bed bugs....should I be concerned and pro active?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Apr 12 2012 18:39:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you post a photo just to be sure?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. lifes2good

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Apr 12 2012 20:37:36
    #

Login to Send PM

4. lifes2good

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Apr 12 2012 20:39:48
    #

Login to Send PM

My son knows what they look like at all stages after living with them for months...he is positive it is a bed bug. What is confusing us is that there are no other signs that we have seen and we have watched because we were fearful of this happening.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 13 2012 11:45:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Recently many posts are with very small images. Maybe your phone or camera is set to small image size and/or now resolution shots. The general "image" of the insect looks like it could be an adult bed bug.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  6. lifes2good

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 13 2012 12:07:21
    #

Login to Send PM

We know for sure that it is...my question is what should we do about it. There is no evidence on the beds. Is it possible that he brought it here after his clothing (thats all he moved back) was put in a commercial dryer for 20 minutes. I had the laundrymat attendant check the filters and none were found in them. We then put them directly into newly purchased rubbermaid containers and I stored them in my garage for over 70 days before they were brought into this house? Can it be from his previous place? He has been here for over 2 months wouldn't we have seen signs before this?
    Since it's the only one we found should we treat? If so how? I'm dreading telling my husband we found this bug because he said he'd be furious if we ended up with this problem.
    Just over 2 weeks ago the house had been treated and attic dusted for roaches and they have been totally eleminated. Please help!!!!

7. lifes2good

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 15 2012 10:33:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Please ID this spot. Yesterday I steamed this bed, cleaned sheets and vacuumed bed and rug, I found no signs of bed bugs but this morning I found this on the bed. I'm fearful because it was on my husbands side of the bed (still haven't told him about the one found) and he is on bloon thinners...should this be an added concern? Also, this spot was not on the bed in the room the bug was found on and it is more than 100 feet away, but that bug was found near and air vent. PLEASE HELP

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj207/donjan0630/bugs/spot.jpg

8. LVK9

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 15 2012 11:05:22
    #

Login to Send PM

lifes2good, the length of time in a dryer should not be the measuring stick, temperature should be. So is it possible that all the clothing did not reach the needed temperature for the needed time? could be. If one or more survived the dryer is 70 days long enough to guarantee death by starvation? no.

Since your son had them in his other home, is it possible your son is bring them in from somewhere to begin with?

The picture of the stain does not look to be bed bug related in my opinion.

9. lifes2good

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 15 2012 11:13:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your quick reply. I should of mentioned that the laundrymat attendant was aware of what I was doing and he said that the commercial dryers were hot enough to kill them it was set on the hottest temp and we were unable to touch them. He checked the filters too and nothing. My sons place had just been treated two days before and everything was in black garbage bags when I took them to the laundrymat. I've been thinking that the only thing I didn't treat and took into the house was his laptop and case....is it possible that one item could do this? Should I be concerned about my husband being on blood thinners?

10. lifes2good

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 15 2012 11:24:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, it isn't possible that he is bringing them from someplace else. When he left that house that was probably infested when he moved in...it was a half way house....he left for exactly 70 days with nothing but the clothing on his back, he unfortunatley was violated on a curfew violation and went to jail, he retunred here and has not been to any other of his past places, employment or home and is here except when he goes to work as a waiter. Is driven in my car to and from work and goes no where else, so it has to of come from his clothing which I'm sure was run hot enough or the laptop case.

11. lifes2good

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 15 2012 11:27:53
    #

Login to Send PM

One other possiblity is that my step son has gone to hotels in Orlando for school related events and we didn't take an precautions. His bedroom is directly under the bednroom we found the bug in near the air vent. We checked his room and saw nothing. I guess the next step is to have a pest control take a look.

12. LVK9

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 15 2012 11:27:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes it is possible to transfer them via the laptop or case, more likely the case in my opinion. You could install some form of bed bug cups under the bed frame legs if the frame allows it. Also available are active monitors and passive monitors. I can not answer your question about blood thinners, maybe someone else will chime in with an answer for you on it.

13. lifes2good

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 15 2012 11:29:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Where do you get these monitors?

14. LVK9

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 15 2012 11:34:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Search for bed bug alert passive and bed bug beacon. These are two different monitors (there are others) one is active and one is passive. On this page there are sponsor sites that have them available.

15. lifes2good

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Apr 23 2012 6:23:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Still no other signs....yet every night I'm sleepless feeling like I have something crawling on me...haven't spotted anything... Is this normal, is it all in my head or is it that in the beginning they are so small you cannot see them?

16. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Apr 23 2012 9:13:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear lifes2good,

As head transplants are largely not successful, the consideration of your viable options is likely the better path:

> remain vigilant
    > be sure you know how t recognize the telltale signs of bed bugs
    > use a variety of prevention steps when visiting suspect locations
    > use commercially available detection devices such as passive and active type monitors/traps. such items are available for sale online from US Bed Bugs and others.
    > items which may be of use to you include: blockers to help isolate your bed, mattress & box spring encasements, luggage encasements, zip lock bags and other bed bug proof containers.
    > if budget is a concern, you can also fashion certain types of traps yourself.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.
  17. lifes2good

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Apr 23 2012 19:38:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Paul b...
    Budget is so tight waiting for payday to start getting the passive monitor. I found this mark on my leg this afternoon. It was not there last night didn't notice it this morning, do reactions take time to show? Is this a bed bug bite?

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj207/donjan0630/bite.jpg

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.