Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Found bedbug dog in Ottawa, ON--can anyone tell me more?

(6 posts)
  1. badbadbedbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 7 2009 11:55:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Given that our current PCO has not found any evidence of bbs, I am considering a getting a dog into inspect, mainly for peace of mind, and to reassure anxious guests and family members.
    I came across http://www.pestguard.ca that offers a canine inspection service in the Ottawa area, which is great news. Does anyone know anything about this service? What should I look for/what questions do I ask them? Roughly how much should I expect to pay (we live in a 1400 sq ft. home).
    Many thanks!

2. bugeyedpea

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 7 2009 12:57:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I used this company a few months ago after returning from a nightmare weekend at a hotel in Europe. Definitely had bed bugs at the hotel (saw them and their PCO confirmed), was pretty sure I didn't bring them back with me but just wanted that extra bit of comfort. The dog's name is Miley. Cute little thing, part Jack Russell and part Beagle. She youngish and bit distracted but I really did feel she knew what she was sniffing for. In my case she found nothing which was a relief!

I had a bit of an unusual situation in that I had an inspection of stuff that basically came off the plane with me and later of a moving van so the cost was a bit more than normal. I believe the standard fee was $250 plus tax.

I didn't ask many questions when setting this up as I was so desperate to get some relief from the stress of not knowing. And I was happy they didn't laugh at me and tell me I was overreacting (everyone else thought that). But when Patrick came by with Miley we had some interesting conversations about the bb scene in Ottawa. I think he would be very responsive in answering any of your pre-visit questions. From what I gather from reading this forum, you should definitely ensure they follow-up a hit by the dog with a physical inspection.

I would definitely do it again if necessary. Hopefully it won't ever be necessary.

Good luck.

3. badbadbedbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 8 2009 13:10:00
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks so much for the info-I cant read your whole post from my office computer, so Ill reply in more detail from home later on.

4. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 26 2017 17:42:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I know this is an old thread but I am also in Ottawa.
    In an apartment.
    I've had only had one treatment but I foresee a time when the PCO doesn't find evidence so I am looking ahead at k9 inspection.
    If the k9 finds something though, I'd probably have to go back to the landlord.
    Too many whatifs.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
  5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Fri Oct 27 2017 0:19:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thirdusername,
    Be sure to read this FAQ on bed bug dogs before you hire a dog team.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Canuck

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Fri Oct 27 2017 11:42:17
    #

Login to Send PM

There is a WDDO certified team in Ottawa. Here is the link to confirm the certification: WDDO. The company is Orkin. There is also Ottawa Valley Pest Controll and although they are not certified with WDDO or NESDCA, they certainly have the right protocols for k9 scent detection on their website.

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,823 posts in 43,336 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7