Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Free for all

Found a single bug 24 days ago .. help?!

(6 posts)
  1. krrr123

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Jan 8 2018 16:04:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I realize this is a lot but thank you for taking the time to read!

On December 15 I found 1 bed bug crawling in my dogs scarf. I am 110% positive it was infact a bed bug. The scarf and coat was hand made by someone and mailed to us. I opened the package and briefly skimmed it inside and out and then tried it on my dog who ran through the house and then into the den to get outside. Ran around outside with it on and then back in the house. We took it off of her, set it on our kitchen table where it sat for 2 or 3 days. It then got moved to the back of the couch. In that same day I moved it to the couch, I also laid out some clothing items I had just bought from several stores onto the back of the couch which also draped over the scarf. After showing the clothes to my daughter, she asked what the scarf was for so I tried it on my dog to show her. As I pulled the scarf off of my dog it turned inside out and there was a bed bug running on it clear as day against the purple fabric. Based off of pictures and research I’d say it was a third stage and hadn’t fed yet as it was more translucent vs full of blood.

My initial thought(and still my main thought) was the bug came on the coat/sweater but it could have come from the clothing as well as hitchhiked from my kids coats from school or something. Who knows. What I do know is that I’ve found zero evidence of any bugs. The same day I got rid of both my couches. We went and ordered new furniture. I bought mattress/box spring encasements for all beds. I bagged up all clothing in the house and washed and sent things through the dryer multiple times. I dumped talc powder everywhere several times and vacuumed it up. I left some along the base boards and furniture. I flipped my table and wood furniture and thoroughly inspected several times and wiped it all down. I inspected and cleaned dressers. I put out dry ice traps for hours into the evening and over night (Undisturbed) in every room and they all came up clean. This was all in one night. Call it over board but I went there. I was ignorant to the facts about bed bugs and now realize I didn’t need to throw out the furniture and that I should have held off on ordering new furniture. We also ordered climb up interceptors for our bed and diatomaceous earth. The interceptors won’t fit the girls beds or the furniture but I did put the de along all baseboards and their beds. I also vacuumed out the wood slats on both beds and wiped them down. I ordered pillow encasments but those just came yesterday. We’ve been vacuuming all floors daily and I’ve been checking like a mad lady every single day for signs. I’ve pulled off outlet covers as well and have found nothing. We also did the dry ice traps again in every room two days ago and all were clean.

In my bedroom, myself, my husband and my 5 year old sleep in our bed. Oh and the dog. So I figured that if they were going to be anywhere they would be there. I’ve been checking everyone daily for bites and have found nothing on them. The issue I am having is that I have had a single mosquito like bite twice since this all occurred on December 15. One on my right wrist the other on my left. One was small the other welted the size of a pea. Both appeared during the day and went away within an hour or so. I realize that those could have came from anywhere so I’m trying hard not to think worst case scenario but I’m also not getting too comfortable. We did find two carpet beetle larvae, 1 on the master bathroom wall and 1 in the interceptor at the head of my bed on my husbands side. But again I’m not jumping the gun nor am I dismissing it.

My next step is to get a PCO out here to inspect as I am going insane but I’m wondering if that is truly necessary? When would I start seeing evidence? We’re at day 24.

2. F. Pazos

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Jan 8 2018 21:05:38
    #

Login to Send PM

My best suggestion would be to stop freaking out.... You need to stay calm and not let them ruin your life... and as I have seen many times, that is starting to happen. You say that you saw a bed bug nearly one month ago and nothing since then, that is more than enough time to be capable to find signs (even little). Get the PCO to do the inspection and let him do, if there is anything he will find it, bear in mind that if he doesn't find anything he will not be capable to offer you a service (hint!, we make a living from services, not from free inspections). If he finds something you can either choose to go with his service or DIY. But, please, stop going crazy about the issue or it will affect you and your family

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  3. thirdusername

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Jan 8 2018 23:25:02
    #

Login to Send PM

My comment to kr123 is you sound really thorough.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  4. krrr123

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Jan 10 2018 6:02:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I’ve got someone with a k9 coming out on Tuesday. Hopefully then I’ll have peace of mind and can sleep without checking the bed every 30 minutes.

5. mlynna3

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Jan 12 2018 0:38:45
    #

Login to Send PM

krrr123 - 1 day ago  » 
    I’ve got someone with a k9 coming out on Tuesday. Hopefully then I’ll have peace of mind and can sleep without checking the bed every 30 minutes.

I'm on day 10 now after finding 1 adult bug only (between mattress and box springs - after traveling so I'm hoping it hitched a ride and isn't from a neighbor) and no other signs. I did similar things to you in regards to the cleaning, but I haven't thrown anything but a few pillows and my dust ruffle out... I've covered mattresses and the few pillows I did keep (which went thru the dryer a few times - this last one for over an hour at the laundromat). I have a lot of clutter (not hoarder levels, but I haven't been the most organized person) so I'm still sorting thru lower level things like jewelry and such on dresser. I have climb ups on bed and it's away from anything. I also have climb ups on my couch.

I too like you have been stressed about it and I'll probably contact a PCO to search before I freak out anymore. I too think I'll go with a dog team (If I can find one that has good reviews in LA area.) . How did you pick yours?

I definitely am happy and also stressed by reading the forums on this site... I think I am doing well and then I read someones post and then stress the hell out again. But luckily we are all in it together!

6. krrr123

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Jan 12 2018 20:20:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I contacted a pco here who had good reviews online and on Angie’s list and the guy who handles my area actually suggested the dog come out and he put me in contact with them. He isn’t affiliated with them but said he recommends clients to them in certain situations and because we have found no evidence he said that’ll ease my mind. He told me he can search and be 90% certain whereas a canine will come out and be 200% certain so hopefully that’s the case. I’ll be a basket case while they’re here searching that’s for sure. I am still putting blankets and coats and such through the dryer ever single day and constantly checking all the beds and what not. I had a scare 8 years ago when I worked at a nursing home and found one on my scrubs and have been very proactive ever since. So to find that one it has seriously sent me into straight panic mode. At least we’re both taking the right steps based off of what everyone says on here. I’ll update you on Tuesday after the dog comes!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,258 posts in 46,529 topics over 141 months by 20,520 of 21,381 members. Latest: alize, Worrybug, bugBgone123