found a bed bug. what should I do??

(4 posts)
  1. jenvan78

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 4 2011 10:44:28
    #

Login to Send PM

So my daugher woke up early last week (tuesday) with a bite on her arm. Then again on Saturday. So, I took everything off of her bed including sheets blankets. I found one bed bug crawling across her matress. It freaked me out so bad. We took the matress outside and the boxsprings. I started reading online about bed bugs and looking at all types of pictures..(the more I read the more freaked out that I get!) So, I called orkin but they couldnt come out until monday (today). I checked for signs of bed bugs or other bed bugs , and I have found NOTHING. No tracks, blood, other bugs, eggs, nymphs, really NOTHING. I even went as far as cutting the matress to shreds looking for bugs. Still found no trace of anything. I looked in the outlets, behind pictures, in the bed frame, went in their room in the middle of the night 4 times checked to for bugs.. NOTHING... and since I got that bug out of her bed, she has no new bites and no one else in the house has any either. I was starting to second guess that it was actually a bed bug.. but the man from orkin came today and he said yes it was a bed bug... and it would be $800 to spray.. BUT he said he sees no evidence of anything either.. he looked around pretty well. He said that it could be possible that she carried it in on her clothes and it got into her bed. She has not had any bites before last week. What can I do to make sure that we do not get a full blown out break at our house. I really dont have $800 to pay for a treatment. Any suggestions would be great.

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 4 2011 11:02:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, Jen. If your daughter is sensitive and she was bit only twice, your infestation is likely low (a BB feeds about once a week). You reduced, possibly (big possibly) eliminated it with your actions. Or, considering the size, evidence may be hard to find. So, (from a non-expert) perhaps your best approach is to monitor the situation, inspect and try to identify if there's a source of infestation in your/your child's life. Read our FAQ for an understanding of BB and inspection tips. I hope you just had a close call and are ahead of the game. Welcome.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. jenvan78

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 4 2011 11:24:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I am hoping that you are right. So far I have taken the matress out and thrown away, cleaned her room with bleach and water, took off outlet covers, pictures, anything that she didn't need/really want and threw it away. I have vaccumed over and over.. in the cracks, around the beds, behind everything. Then empty the bag and take the trash outside. washed all bedding in hot water, dryed on high heat, put all of the stuffed animals that we did keep in trash bags and then in the deep freeze.. I also took her to the doctor to make sure they were actually bug bites.. the dr. said yes they were, but not sure what type of bug... and gave me some antibioctic cream to keep them from getting infection. Is there anything else that I can do ? Anything that I can spray in their room? Someone said lice spray and someone else told me to spray the carpets with flea spray. Should I shampoo the carpets? Wash the clothes that are in their dressers? Anything to keep these nasty things from spreading. I can not sleep knowing that they were in bed with my daughter. I have been waking up several times at night/early morning and going into their room while they sleep and checking with a flash light to see if I find anything else. If that was the only bug, then how long until I can let my gaurd down (enough to sleep anyway) and I can say that we do NOT have bed bugs? Thanks.

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 4 2011 14:49:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Very, very few pesticides are rated for use on items we sleep on. (In fact, if I recall correctly, there's only one.) So I would definitely not spray lice spray or flea spray anywhere. Some pesticides repel bed bugs.

That sounds like a good thing at first, but if you repel them, you run the risk of pushing them deeper into hiding, which makes an infestation a lot harder to treat.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things. I might consider getting some passive monitors to set up so that you can keep a close eye on things.

Frustrating as it is, at this point it's a waiting game. You'll just have to wait and see if any more emerge. I know that that's stressful; I don't say that lightly. But some actions you might take are only going to risk spreading the bugs or pushing them to hide deeper rather than killing them off.

The other bad news is that while there is no hard and fast rule, we generally use the 60 day mark as a sign that chances are good that you're free of bugs.

I know it's scary and frustrating, but try to remind yourself that you are protecting your child by doing what you can to avoid exposing her to chemical pesticides she doesn't need to be exposed to and by doing what you can (which is sometimes not doing other things) to keep the infestation easy to treat if there is one.

Hang in there.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,083 posts in 31,013 topics over 94 months by 13,442 of 20,848 members. Latest: midnightfeast, senses123, So Mad