(3 posts)
  1. Suikoden2005

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Jun 13 2017 9:17:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All:

I am living in a furnished apartment the last couple of years and now have a bed bug issue, and am trying to decide what next steps to take. This place is pretty nice - its frequented by people who tend to stay 4-12 months at a time, though me and a few guests have stayed longer. Clearly, any place like this is more subject to bed bugs. Here's the story.

The first year went very well but 4 months ago I found a single bed bug in my sheets that had bitten me a few times.

I caught this bug and showed it to management, who promptly called in their pest person to examine the whole place. He flipped over everything, including bed, box spring and couch, examined even the nooks and crannies of the TV, etc. He said he found no further evidence.

As a precaution, we decided to buy encasements for the mattress and box spring and wrapped both up. I put all clothes in the dry cleaner on hot, and threw away a lot of my stuff, leaving only the bare minimum in this apartment.

I also moved to sleeping on the couch in a different room where I don't believe I had any issues the next 4 months.

Recently I tried to move back to the bed and the first week or so went well. But last night I found 2 bed bugs, despite the encasement still on the bed and mattress! Luckily I have no bites this time but I put both in ziplock bags.

I am wondering what to do next. Obviously, living in a furnished place is likely the problem. If these bugs weren't already there, they could have come from people moving in and out at a more rapid rate than a normal apartment. Management, when I found the first bug, claimed no one else noticed bugs and tried to insinuate it was me that brought these in as I do travel for work.

I have a feeling they are hiding somewhere in the walls, especially since I've had the encasements on the bed for at least 3 months and still got these 2 new bugs.

The plan I have in mind is as follows:

1) Report the new bugs to management and have their pest person come back
    2) call my own pest person to come in and provide an independent review
    3) Re-input all my clothes on the hot cycle again (this is so painful)
    4) Get the place treated
    5) move out only after the place is treated, so as to minimize the chances of bringing any bugs over. I worry most about my clothes.

Regarding #5, my lease ends in six weeks so I can easily move to a nicer place next door and get all my own stuff. I've hesitated moving this long mainly because I work in a city without many jobs in my industry and have been scared to invest a lot of money in my own place. I also work for a highly volatile employer and should it not work out for some reason, I'm stuck in an expensive apartment with a lot of stuff and would need to move to a far off state to find work again.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Jun 13 2017 19:04:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes I would do everything you say you going to do but when moving I would be very careful as to what you take with you.Make sure your clothes are all dried in really hot heat and put in new bags an sealed up.Then I would put another bag over the first one and seal it up.The before taking it in your new place you remove the outer bag in case something were on it.Dont take anything in your new place if it can't be treated...Taking bes bugs with you is very high unless you treat everything...Good Luck

3. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Jun 13 2017 19:06:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I would also spray something in Your car just in case...bedlam is really good for cars.Also with it getting as hot as it has been then your car should be ok

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,831 posts in 43,552 topics over 131 months by 19,076 of 19,669 members. Latest: bedbugcrazed, HOWDY1, Bug12345678