First Treatment - Overconfident?

(9 posts)
  1. NotSureChi5

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Apr 15 2017 2:15:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone. I'm hoping someone can offer some advice or insight.

I had Rose Pest Control today out for first treatment (I have a 1 bedroom apartment in a multiunit building). Based off the inspection a few days ago, they seemed to think it was a very small infection. I had a few specimens, but didn't find any evidence aside from that.

I thoroughly followed their instructions and the tech seemed impressed. I don't know all of what he did (I had to leave, I am out of town this weekend), but I recall him saying he was going to spray the baseboards, use bedlam on the couch, and spray around the bed. I showed him the encasement I had on the box spring and mattress as well as the pitfall traps on my bed legs and he approved. He also dusted all the outlets and put up several detectors.

They're doing 3 treatments spaced 2 weeks from each other. The tech seemed very optimistic.

I've seen pretty good reviews about Rose and I'm not a professional, but it's fairly hard to feel optimistic. Does anyone see any issues with their treatment or any questions/issues I should bring up? Should I be more optimistic?

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice.

2. mp7ski

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Apr 15 2017 4:40:12
    #

Login to Send PM

It's always better to be optimistic than pessimistic, which is something I'm have issues with. It sounds like he's doing a decent treatment. From my readings the Chicago rose offices are the best of the rose offices so have confidence there. My only concern would be did he make you take the encasements off so he could treat the mattress and box spring? Other wise you're just trapping the bugs inside and then if one rips (which they've been known to do), you'd just end up reinfesting yourself. Something to think about. Im sure he is, but make sure he's using a different residual when he comes back, it's best to use 2 different residuals to combat resistant strains.

My advice if rose doesn't work out and in the future you still have issues, would be to look into having a bed bug specific pco treat that preferably uses steam, dusts, and an array of chemicals. Some may even use heat in one form or another. Heating up your apartment as well as surrounding ones would be an ideal treatment but I know how hard that is to coordinate. Good luck!

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. NotSureChi5

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Apr 15 2017 10:53:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the response. If I open up the box spring and mattress for treatments 2 and 3, is that sufficient? Or do I need to have them come back and treat them?

I'll also ask about whether they're using different residuals for the next two treatments.

Thank you!

4. NotSureChi5

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Apr 19 2017 23:41:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Follow up - Turns out they did treat the box spring and will be using different chemicals in each treatment.

I just found another bug. Not sure if it was a fully mature one or not though. I know it takes more than one treatment to get them all, but is it normal to see more mature bed bugs after the first round of treatment?

Thanks! I'm getting really stressed out from this whole ordeal.

5. mp7ski

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Apr 20 2017 6:41:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Do what your pco says since he's the one treating and you can ask him any questions. It's good that he treated the box spring as that's usually the first place an infestation grows and it is the most at risk of having the encasement rip or tear.

It's not uncommon to see activity after the first treatment as they may try to escape treated areas.

Try to manage your stress as it can just make things worse mentally and physically, believe me, I know.

6. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Apr 20 2017 9:04:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not an expert. I just wanted to share my experience. Encasements do rip, so inspect them pretty regularly and patch up holes with duck tape. It is not clear to me if all chemicals kill eggs as well. Ideally, your PCO tried to remove all BBs and eggs from your box spring, but it is probably impossible to be 100%. So if they missed any eggs, and they weren't killed with the chemicals, they could hatch and you'd have more live bugs that could escape. The chances are probably small, but just something to think about. Those encasements are so delicate, and ours ripped on the corners of our box spring even thought we tried to cover the sharp edges. In hindsight. I'd have duck taped the corners of my box spring encasement immediately after putting them on. I also keep the pets out of my room so that no claws poke holes in the encasements.

We saw a couple of live bugs after our first treatment. I don't think it is unusual. Sounds like you have a thorough PCO, so I echo mp7ski in his advice to reach out to them with questions.

Good luck and hope you are BB-free soon!

7. NotSureChi5

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon May 1 2017 12:16:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone. I had the second treatment last Friday. I've only had a single bug sighting since the first treatment (and believe me, I've been looking).

The PCO checked the sticky traps/monitors he placed the first time and found no evidence. He sprayed the bed again, the couch, the baseboards, and looked around. They used bedlam plus, tempo, and transport micron.

Again, maybe it's because I'm being irrational about the bugs, but he just seemed too calm about the whole matter. Rose gets pretty good reviews, so I assume they know what they're doing.

In order to make sure I get the most out of the third (and final) treatment, is there anything people on here would advise me to ask or request?

Thanks again everyone!

8. BattleoftheBug

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon May 1 2017 16:51:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I am of a different mind about the encasements. I have had them ["Luna" brand] on my mattress and box spring for four years and have never seen an actual rip. Once a sharp part of my metal bed frame wore through and made a small hole, which I then duct taped. I was inspecting my bed frequently even though I had no BBs during that period. You get into the habit. It seems to me that whoever is making those metal frames had better rethink their design and stop putting anything sharp or projecting under the box spring. Don't they realize there's a BB epidemic going on and people are using protective covers that are not impenetrable? Anyway, in the meantime I am covering the suspect parts of the frame with layers of duct tape in order to render them more harmless.

Contrary to popular belief, bed bugs aren't immortal. I doubt that, after a year of existing in an encasement, there would be any living bugs left in there. On the other hand, treatments or no, if your bed is heavily infested, toss it. Don't rely on spraying or anything else to get rid of a lot of bugs in your mattress or box spring. Get a new bed and then put on the casements so nothing can get into the mattress or the box spring. A light infestation, maybe. But I really doubt the wisdom of keeping an infested bed, full of hiding bugs and their gross excrement in your home.

9. NotSureChi5

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri May 12 2017 11:29:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hope everyone is doing well! Just had my third treatment from Rose today. So far, since my first treatment, I've only seen one bed bug between the first and second treatment and nothing since. The sticky traps and climbups are clear, no bites, no fecal or blood stains.

In order to know I'm clear, how long do I have to go without seeing evidence? Is it from last sighting or last treatment?

I really appreciate all the help and information on this site. It makes this ordeal much more bearable.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,798 posts in 42,219 topics over 127 months by 18,529 of 19,024 members. Latest: Graham35, katieny, teemo87