First treatment completed (and my supplemental)(1 post)
I can't thank everyone enough for these forums - there is so much information and I feel much better informed during this process.
I've posted a few times about our situation - it took us a long time to locate our bugs (we were receiving very sporadic bites - once or twice a month and then our adjoining neighbor moved out and suddenly the biting ramped up to a few times a week, so possibly they were living in her place?) but I finally found them early this week, harboring in a knot in the wooden slats under my mattress. I scoured the rest of our bedroom but couldn't find anything.
Our landlord has been very prompt luckily, but I'm not sure how good our PCO is, so I'm trying to be proactive. I'm in SoCal, and I think our bed bug treatment knowledge is lagging behind NYC. The PCO came out quickly but did very little inspection, just took the two bedbugs I'd found as samples and left without checking anything else out. They scheduled treatment for our apartment and the adjacent apartments immediately. They normally handle termites, but also do bedbugs.
We spent two frantic days preparing for the treatment. I did throw away the wooden slats (but saved the one with the harborage for the PCO) and I found two of the screw holes on our bed had eggs in them. I painstakingly removed the eggs, using q-tips dipped in rubbing alcohol, which I then doublebagged immediately. We vacuum bagged all our clean clothes and linens (we'll dry them as we go along) and set up a safe zone on the dining room table as a laundry center. Only freshly cleaned (and 1.5 hour hot dried) items are allowed on the table and they all immediately go into clean ziplocs or vacuum bags.
We moved all the furniture 2 feet away from the walls, as requested. They said we could leave our books on the shelves in the living room. I bagged, marked and threw away the few that we'd had next to our bed. The PCO came today and said they would first steam and then lay down treatment and inject dust into the walls. I pointed out the two holes where I had already found eggs, and asked them to please take special care over those. I left while they treated. It took them less than 2 hours to treat all three apartments, which makes me a little nervous. I'm trying to get in touch with them to see if they found any additional bb evidence while treating. They did leave me a note saying they treated with Phantom, Gentrol and Drionne. They treated the whole apartment, steaming our couch and chairs in the living room and the furniture in the spare bedroom.
They'll return in one week to inspect and repeat treatment. In the meantime, I'm going to get new wooden slats for our bed (luckily it's Ikea, so it's easy to replace them) but I'm going to varnish them first and probably use some filler in the knots, as that's where the bugs were harboring before. I'll continue to inspect on my own, because it doesn't seem like the PCO does much inspection. Thanks to all the photos here, I think I'm getting pretty good at inspecting by myself.
Sorry this is so long, but I did find it useful to read other people's stories while I was trying to figure out what to do. I'm torn between thinking that we caught it relatively early and we're lucky and we'll get it knocked out, and thinking that I'm severely underestimating the problem and we'll never get rid of them. I will make sure to update on how the treatment is working.
You must log in to post.