Finding dying ones a year later

(9 posts)
  1. freakout

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2012 9:59:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I got them a year ago, went through major treatment and nine months later am finding some dying unfed adults. Nothing for nine months and now straggler popping up in odd places where they could have scattered during treatment. No bites, none in climb ups. I read they can live a long time and so is this really cause for concern? I have a PCO and wonder if I should call every time I find one. I have found 4 dying very unfed adults in the last 2 months.

2. Koebner

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2012 11:40:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have adjoining neighbours?

3. freakout

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2012 12:06:48
    #

Login to Send PM

yes but to my knowledge no one has them. ours was an isolated mild infestation from traveling. dealt with it a year ago for 3 months of solid treatment til we didn't see them. the ones i see now are very flat, unfed, upsidedown legs barely moving.

4. Koebner

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2012 12:45:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that what you're seeing is evidence of treatment elsewhere in your building. My worry would be inappropriate treatment, such as bombs or foggers. Any strange smells in the building lately?

If you don't already use them, I'd strongly suggest installing passive monitors, & in your shoes, I'd consider a PCO inspection (even though 3 months of treatments doesn't make my heart swell with confidence in their approach).

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2012 14:23:28
    #

Login to Send PM

freakout - 4 hours ago  » 
    I got them a year ago, went through major treatment and nine months later am finding some dying unfed adults. Nothing for nine months and now straggler popping up in odd places where they could have scattered during treatment. No bites, none in climb ups. I read they can live a long time and so is this really cause for concern? I have a PCO and wonder if I should call every time I find one. I have found 4 dying very unfed adults in the last 2 months.

If they're unfed, then they haven't been living in your apartment for nine months --if someone has occupied your apartment, they would have been feeding.

This is why koebner suggests they may have come from the neighbors.

That said, how do you know they are unfed and dying?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. freakout

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2012 19:39:26
    #

Login to Send PM

The few I found were either upside down barely moving or rightside hardly moving, all were extremely flat, unfed adults. I found them either in the kitchen or by my records not far from the door. I have climb ups and other passive traps around and found none in my bedroom, the climb ups or have gotten bitten since the infestation. (I am severely allergic). I thought maybe after all the treatments, plus having regular pest treatment every other month this year, any survivors could have gone dormant, finally coming out now that they are staving. If not and it's a neighbor., any suggestions to keep them out?

7. freakout

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2012 20:17:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I also wonder about bat bugs. I am on the second floor, attic above me. Tons of bats occupy the shopping center behind condo, sometimes they go off track and I will find one in the hallway. Little fruit bats but I am trying to think of any possibilities because I really have not seen any evidence of it being a neighbor.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2012 23:16:28
    #

Login to Send PM

You need to get a sample of your bug so an expert can determine if its a bat bug. This seems like a real possibility.

9. freakout

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 25 2012 7:29:36
    #

Login to Send PM

After talking to my spouse, he doesn't believe it is bat bugs (he's been up in the attic and no signs)and I honestly don't feel these are from neighbors. ...My PCO has been coming to my place every other month for the past year. Could the ongoing maintenace of him spraying around the baseboards cause any survivors to continue to stay dormant as a survival mechanism?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,850 posts in 50,050 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas