Finally got passive monitors in mail- a few questions now after placement

(3 posts)
  1. bbmd

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Sep 18 2017 15:41:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I received my BB Alert passive monitor.

Just brief backstory- found begbugs confined to one area of wooden bed frame (eggs, molt, and only one live adult seen)

Completed 2 steam/pesticide treatments now almost 2 weeks out from second treatment. Bedframe thrown out Mattress is on ground (Carpeted) and encased. Placed monitor at head of bed 50% under/50% outside of mattress directly on carpet with monitor longways (writing is vertical/parallel to length of bed) as recommended by David Cain for mattresses without bedframes.

Questions are as follows:

1. Would it be better to have an additional passive placed at FOOT of the bed (have two instead of one)

2. No evidence of activity on couch (should i put one there anyway?)

3. My significant others apartment has been inspected and there are no signs but I was thinking of just using my second one on his bed just in case.

4. For encased beds post treatment- is the rule still nothing seen in 14 days and you are good?

5. If fecal stains are seen on the monitor it is then I would bag it up and try to see if there are bed bugs inside?

6. I had bought those Ortho home defense traps from Home Depot which Im not sure work to begin with. I already placed them before receiving my passives so was just going to leave them there or will they interfere?

7. my PCO said this infestation must have started about 5-7 weeks prior to us finding it. Is it odd that we only found the one adult bug? I did throw out my bed frame which had infinite crevices for hiding. There is no reason for dispersal in this case I think but I am paranoid there is some unknown harbourage we are missing!

Thank you

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Sep 18 2017 20:40:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK,

1, No, its not needed. The head end is the main target.

2, if you think the couch may potentially get infested it best to monitor, but its not as essential as beds.

3, best idea so far. If their bed is occupied at least some of the time it should be monitored.

4, yes, encasement alone is not an issue.

5, yes, if there is signs of activity they are highly likely to be inside hiding.

6, if they have a scent to them remove them. The chemical ecology of bed bug communication is far more subtle than product manufacturers seem to understand. Too strong an odor is actually a bad thing when it comes to dispersing bed bugs throughout your home.

7 maybe not, if not dispersed bed bugs prefer to harbor within 3 foot of the head end of the bed. The issue will always be a balance between dealing with any bed bugs in the home and ensuring no more are brought home.

Hope that all makes sense.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. bbmd

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Sep 19 2017 11:08:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you very much! very helpful!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,883 posts in 43,563 topics over 131 months by 19,079 of 19,673 members. Latest: amanda017, sircoolkeen, skale