Few and far between?

(5 posts)
  1. arachne

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jan 3 2010 6:22:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Has anyone else experienced this? -- Our first bites appeared May 2008, 3 months after moving into new apartment. It was obvious what it was. First live bug viewed November 2008. Three live bugs captured since then, stored in freezer in ziploc bag.

We have an extremely non-responsive and absentee landlady who is (we just found out) facing foreclosure herself, so there's no point in contacting her, believe me, much less getting her to pay for treatment at all, much less any legitimate and effective treatment. She has already more or less vanished, and it's unlikely we'll ever get our security deposit back.

For a variety of reasons, including my severe health problems and our severe poverty, we've done not much to combat the bugs, beyond occasional vacuuming, regular laundry of a normal type, and a cheap steamer used a few times. That's pretty much it. We don't even have a mattress encasement.... thus, no isolated bed, no use of DE, no petroleum on bed legs, etc. Honestly, we've felt completely hopeless as far as the bugs, and our conduct has shown it, alas.

The thing is -- for long periods at a time, and I mean MONTHS at a time -- no one has been bitten, of the three of us in the household. And yes, we're all reactive -- me dramatically so. Yet the bites infrequently pop up again, usually just 2 or 3 bites at a time, every few months.

For example, I went to the hospital and came home Dec. 31, 2008. After coming home, I know for a fact I was not bitten till April 2009. That's a long time! And no one else was bitten then either. But they were not gone.

More recently, I hadn't been bitten since October 2009...but just today (2 Jan 2010) I woke up with bites at the corner of my eye, which made my entire eye swell up and develop a big bruised-looking ugly pouch beneath. It looks like someone has punched me in the face! Humiliating beyond words, I can't even go outside.

You'd think that by now, we'd be just overrun with these critters. YET, they seem to attack very sporadically and with VERY few bites each time. They say you're clear after 3 months without bites -- but not in my experience! We've gone 3.5 with no bites and yet they're still here.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this -- the months-long gap between bites, the very slow-growing (if growing at all) infestation in spite of only halfhearted efforts to combat it.

2. bait

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jan 4 2010 0:22:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I have an opinion about this, based on two, maybe more, observations I've had over the past three years.

One. My son was the first to have bites three years ago. Then my daughter had the exact same bites in the exact same place. I thought poison ivy. Two weeks later, I saw one pinprick hole - it didn't even itch - on my wrist. I knew instantly what it was.

My son was never bit again. My daughter endured a couple of bouts of hive-like reactions, and these days gets bit now and then. I became the preferred host and get bit daily.

Two. Someone I work with showed me a cluster of bites on his ankle. I told him it looked like BB bites and it itched like BBs. He asked his managing agent if there had been bed bugs in his building and sure enough the M.A. said there were. I think a bed bug was out "hunting" for a new host after having been "exterminated" by the M.A. pest control company. He was lucky, the bed bug moved on in search of another's blood.

That's what I think. No proof. Not scientific. The experts will tell you I'm full of baloney. But I think Cimex has behaviors that are not understood.

Thanks for your story. Two questions I would like you to answer. Are there other tenants in your building? (You used the word apartment.) Have you confirmed that the bugs in the freezer are bed bugs?

3. arachne

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 22 2010 18:32:58
    #

Login to Send PM

bait - 1 month ago  » 
    Thanks for your story. Two questions I would like you to answer. Are there other tenants in your building? (You used the word apartment.) Have you confirmed that the bugs in the freezer are bed bugs?

So sorry for delayed response. Yes, and yes. (There's another apartment with two tenants; and they are definitely bedbugs.)

4. lotsreh

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 22 2010 19:06:29
    #

Login to Send PM

So sorry for delayed response. Yes, and yes. (There's another apartment with two tenants; and they are definitely bedbugs.)

This sounds similiar to my situation. They were coming from my neighbor. Your landlord is probably responsible for treating depending on your location, regardless of her financial situation. If she won't respond to you, and assuming you're still paying rent, I would ask your neighbor if they've noticed anything, ask them if they'd be willing to get an inspection, and look into your rights regarding deducting these inspection and potential treatment costs from your rent.

5. lotsreh

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 22 2010 19:07:02
    #

Login to Send PM

<i>

lotsreh - 8 seconds ago  » 
    So sorry for delayed response. Yes, and yes. (There's another apartment with two tenants; and they are definitely bedbugs.)</i>

This sounds similiar to my situation. They were coming from my neighbor. Your landlord is probably responsible for treating depending on your location, regardless of her financial situation. If she won't respond to you, and assuming you're still paying rent, I would ask your neighbor if they've noticed anything, ask them if they'd be willing to get an inspection, and look into your rights regarding deducting these inspection and potential treatment costs from your rent.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,829 posts in 31,278 topics over 95 months by 13,529 of 14,306 members. Latest: Camoo, nobedbugs, PolkaBox