Female vs male bed bugs

(3 posts)
  1. bedbugginNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Sep 4 2010 14:50:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone could clarify for me some differences in female vs male bed bugs so I'd be able to identify them? Is it generally hard to tell the difference?

I think adult males are smaller than their female counterparts? I know males have external genitalia and I believe that females generally have larger abdomens due the traumatic insemination technique of bed bugs?

Any tips on how to identify bed bugs as female or male, or any clarification of what I mentioned above?

Thank you in advance!

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Sep 4 2010 16:37:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Males generally smaller than females. Male tip of his rear end is not symtmetrical and tip is more rounded and wider. Ventral view of tip discloses the hook-like arrangement of the paramere. Female rear is more symmetrical at tip, body more wide in general. On female right side in ventral view you can see where mating area or ectospermalege is and there is an indentation in the outer edge (edge to apex of abdomen) of the segment, not smooth across.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/4190184458/
    Tops views - female above male. Fecal drop above tip of male abdomen so don't get confused.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  3. bedbugginNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Sep 4 2010 17:34:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,861 posts in 31,281 topics over 95 months by 13,530 of 14,307 members. Latest: nobedbugs, PolkaBox, bugsinarizona