Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Feeling extremely sick after bedbug bite- advice??

(20 posts)
  1. bella1989

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 7 2010 3:44:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    I live in Brooklyn and around this time last year my entire apartment was infested with bed bugs. I was bit over 70 times a week for two months and had to get skin samples taken multiple times. Throughout this entire ordeal, I never once felt sick and NONE of my bites ever had a red ring around them.

The bed bugs forced me to move from that apartment and into a new one. I've been living in my new apartment for a year, with no bed bug problems, when suddenly yesterday morning I woke up with a bite on my right wrist. The bite itched and looked EXACTLY like the bed bug bites I had dealt with a year ago, so I was upset but not alarmed or confused about what was happening.

My roommate and I began working on taking my bed-frame apart last night and I found a live bed bug crawling around, so I KNOW I had bed bugs in my room. However, this is where the weirdness starts..

So, while taking the bed-frame apart I began feeling extremely light headed and began shaking. I also started sweating profusely and ended up almost losing consciousness. After around 15 minutes of this I began feeling better and went back to helping my roommate disinfect my room.
    This morning I woke up feeling fine, but noticed a pink ring surrounding the bite on my wrist, something that NEVER happened with any of my previous bites.

Around 5 hours ago, I began feeling sicker and sicker. I now have trouble orienting myself and retaining balance when I stand. I'm shaking and have no apatite and have a horrible headache. I can't seem to concentrate on what's going on or even keep my head upright.

My question is, could this be at all related to my bite? I'm not new to bed bug bites at all, but this pink ring in conjunction with me feeling this sick have never happened before.
    I'm kind of scared and don't know what to do. Any information would be extremely helpful.
    Thank you.

2. del126

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 7 2010 4:08:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you sure that isn't a tick or spider bite? Your description reminds me of tick bites which can make you sick. Can you still see the bite? Does it look like a bullseye?

3. bella1989

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 7 2010 4:25:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Since the swelling has gone down, I can see that what originally looked like one big puffy bite are actually two smaller bites that are very close together. It looks like the beginning of the "breakfast, lunch, dinner" bite pattern that I got so used to seeing last year.

Both bites are are about the width of a pencil eraser with little, raised, hard nubs on the top (as if they were secreting some kind of fluid that dried the size of a pin-prick in the center of the bites...oh my God, I'm sorry this is getting so graphic, I'm so embarrassed).

The bites have one pink ring surrounding both of them, so I'm reluctant to say it looks like a bull's eye. I would love to believe these aren't bed bug bites, but I saw a bed bug crawling around in the frame of my bed just last night. I can't bring myself to believe it's a coincidence that I got bitten by something else the same day I found a bed bug in my room.

Still, the red ring is strange and just the fact that the swelling calmed down so quickly is odd too (last year, it would have taken days for my bed bug bits to de-swell and stop itching in the way these new bites have) , and of course, how sick I'm feeling is incredibly scary and disconcerting.

Are bed bugs known to cause any kind of sicknesses in people? Could the bed bug I found and the bite really be a coincidence?
    Thank you again for your advice.

4. nycyn

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 7 2010 4:26:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you should go to an ER. The 'bite' might be a coincidence. You seem to be writing okay without balance and feeling disoriented--maybe a bad anxiety attack--but you should go to an ER now.

5. bella1989

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 7 2010 4:32:10
    #

Login to Send PM

nycyn - 1 minute ago  » 
    I think you should go to an ER. The 'bite' might be a coincidence. You seem to be writing okay without balance and feeling disoriented--maybe a bad anxiety attack--but you should go to an ER now.

Thank you for the advice, I've been reluctant to let anyone know I'm feeling sick because I don't want to worry anyone. I'm laying down in the dark while typing this, it's the only way I can look at a screen right now. Standing up and trying to walk is really where I'm having my coordination trouble which is scary. Again, thank you. It's comforting to have someone to talk to right now.

6. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 7 2010 6:05:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Bella...i'm with nycyn.

You should call a taxi and get to the hospital...or wake your friend up to take you or call 911 and get an ambulance to come for you.

You might be having a reaction to whatever caused the skin reaction or you might be having an anxiety attack. Either way, it would not be a bad idea to have a doctor take a good look at you.

Did you catch the bed bug that you saw on your bed? If so, please don't throw it away. If you didn't, then i hope you can catch it somehow.

Please let us know how you're feeling and what you learn about the skin reaction, etc.

7. pinupchick

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 7 2010 12:15:56
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like an anxiety or panic attack more than an allergic reaction. Regardless, you should get checked out like the others have suggested. Also, infections are possible with any type of insect bite, but it would take a few days for symptoms to occur.

8. nycyn

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 7 2010 18:38:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I think we should stay with the symptoms and not speculate here.BELLA GO TO AN ER.

Bella is saying: So, while taking the bed-frame apart I began feeling extremely light headed and began shaking. I also started sweating profusely and ended up almost losing consciousness.

Around 5 hours ago, I began feeling sicker and sicker. I now have trouble orienting myself and retaining balance when I stand. I'm shaking and have no apatite and have a horrible headache. I can't seem to concentrate on what's going on or even keep my head upright.

I've been reluctant to let anyone know I'm feeling sick because I don't want to worry anyone. I'm laying down in the dark while typing this, it's the only way I can look at a screen right now. Standing up and trying to walk is really where I'm having my coordination trouble which is scary.

Forget the bites the rings and so on. Let her discuss it with a doctor. WE ARE NOT PHYSICIANS AND ANY MD WOULD TELL HER TO GET HER BUTT TO AN ER.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 7 2010 18:47:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I would agree that if you are concerned, you should go to an ER (even if 14 hours have passed since you were concerned).

A "red ring" around a bite could certainly be a tick bite, and if that is the case, there are tests which can be done and treatments which can be given, the earlier the better.

It's possible to have serious reactions to bed bug bites, and NO ONE here can give medical advice on whether you're experiencing that or how serious it is, so again, I would seek medical attention.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. nycyn

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 7 2010 19:18:25
    #

Login to Send PM

NBOM: I beg to differ with you on "concern" being the relevant word here. I'm not a physician but have enough of a medical background to be put in charge of triage on 9-11 for FDNY & NYPD. I don't like what she said. FWIW.

As for "concern" there are people who don't want to put anybody out, or think they have a bug** yada yada... And if someone reports they are disoriented it means they aren't thinking straight and may need a push to be seen.

Also concerning "concerned": I am very much so.

**Edited to add: I just saw the B word upon reread. No pun intended and no reference to insects either.

11. SearchandDestroy

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 7 2010 22:07:29
    #

Login to Send PM

All quiet...maybe she went. I hope so...poor thing.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 7 2010 23:22:06
    #

Login to Send PM

nycyn - 3 hours ago  » 
    NBOM: I beg to differ with you on "concern" being the relevant word here. I'm not a physician but have enough of a medical background to be put in charge of triage on 9-11 for FDNY & NYPD. I don't like what she said. FWIW.

nycyn,

I am not sure what your issue is. The other poster wrote because she was expressing "concern" and I said if she was concerned (even if she had only been concerned 14 hours ago when she originally wrote), she should see a doctor.

I think my post was fairly clear.

I said, "...NO ONE here can give medical advice on whether you're experiencing that or how serious it is, so again, I would seek medical attention."

(By the way, this is not a commentary on anyone's qualifications, but rather on the fact that (a) no one here can see or judge what is occurring to the poster, and (b) no matter what any of us says, the poster does not know if we're qualified or not.)

I also said,

"I would agree that if you are concerned, you should go to an ER (even if 14 hours have passed since you were concerned)."

I also noted that the pattern suggested it might also be a tick bite, in which case immediate attention is warranted and things can be done even if some time has elapsed (and 14 hours had passed before you or I made our suggestions).

13. nycyn

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 8 2010 0:30:05
    #

Login to Send PM

SearchandDestroy - 2 hours ago  » 
    All quiet...maybe she went. I hope so...poor thing.

Me too.

14. bella1989

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 8 2010 2:40:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone, thank you all so much for your concern.

I woke up this morning feeling completely fine, but the bites still looked the same so I went to the doctor. The doctor told me the bites definitely didn't look like bed bug bites and could most definitely be tick bites. She asked me how I was feeling and I said I felt fine, but described my symptoms to her. She said it was unusual that my symptoms kept coming and going so rapidly and that I was probably having panic attacks over thinking my bites were bed bug related. She told me to relax, but if I felt sick again to come back.

Well, about two hours ago I started feeling awful again, so I'm returning to her tomorrow and demanding a full exam.

I still find it so mind-blowing that I found a bed bug in my bed-frame, but that my bites are completely unrelated. Though, I feel kind of lucky in a weird way, because if I hadn't gotten bitten I would have never checked my bed for bugs in the first place.

Thank you, EVERYONE, for all your wonderful advice and care. I wish I had known about this forum last year when I was going through my bed bug anguish- you're all truly wonderful

15. nycyn

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 8 2010 2:51:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, are we not marvelous? Good news about going to the doc!

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 8 2010 3:03:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I woke up this morning feeling completely fine, but the bites still looked the same so I went to the doctor. The doctor told me the bites definitely didn't look like bed bug bites and could most definitely be tick bites.

Thanks for letting us know what happened and I'm really glad you're following up tomorrow.

Just FYI -- bed bug bites vary enormously in appearance, so doctors can't really say they "don't look like bed bug bites" in most cases. [Unless of course it "looks" like a tick bite, which is quite distinctive. That may be what was meant.]

If you were not reacting to a bed bug bite, I still would not assume that a bed bug which had been living in your bed frame isn't biting you. Unless it had just fed before being introduced to the room, it probably was.

Your bite reactions may change. It's possible for people to not react to smaller numbers of bites, or to react in different ways over time.

That said, I would take any steps the doctor might advise on the basis of this possibly being a tick bite, due to the possibility of Lyme (and the possibilities of preventing/treating it at an early stage).

17. nycyn

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 10 2010 4:12:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting ditty on flea bites with red rings:

http://www.hairfinder.com/info/human-hair-fleas.htm

18. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 10 2010 17:39:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I was regularly getting bitten in my apartment and was familiar with how my bedbug bites looked. Then I spent two nights in a motel in California and was bitten there. My California bites were entirely different--much bigger, a huge welt, itchy, inflamed. I woudn't have recognized them as bedbug bites except that I saw the bedbug. So on me, at least, different strains of bedbugs seem to elicit different skin reactions.

19. emmajay90

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2011 18:34:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Bella,

your sickness, dizziness, light headedness and headaches were definitely related to your bed bug bites! I have got got back off holiday and the last few days there i got extremely ill - with exactly the same symptoms as you! i thought my bites were mosquito bites and that i had food poisoning but when i got home and did some research i realised they were bed bug bites and the illness was an allergic reaction to them. I was very sick to the point of vomiting and i couldn't even keep water down. It comes and goes and today after being home from my holiday and not been sick for 3 days, i was sick again. I often feel dizzy and light headed a few times a day. i want to know when it is going to end! I have no new bites after returning home however symptoms continue to persist!

Do you still believe that yourswere related!

20. BugsMustDie

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2011 18:45:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Emmajay, this thread is nearly a year old...but how do you know for certain those symptoms are related to bed bug bites? Have you been to a doctor? While I've heard of numerous skin-related conditions and anaphylaxis (an emergent-medical condition caused by an allergic response - rare, but possible), I have not heard of those other symptoms. If you have not seen your doctor, you may want to get checked out to make sure nothing else is causing your symptoms. - Best

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.