Feel like I'm going to lose my mind!

(11 posts)
  1. Woodrow15

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 22:57:57
    #

Login to Send PM

My story begins back at the end of July when we learned our downstairs neighbors had bed bugs. They assured us that they had checked with an exterminator and was told we were OK because they wouldn't travel to us. I'll be honest and say at that point, I believed them because I had zero knowledge of bed bugs...I knew they existed but that was the extent of my knowledge. They had a heat treatment done on July 21st but only their apartment was treated. Come to find out, they had been dealing with them since April without telling the landlord and had attempted to self treat. I sleep on the living room couch (I wear a CPAP and struggle getting comfortable in bed with it) and my husband sleeps in the bed. We had both been getting bites for a couple of weeks but had thought nothing of them as we had been spending lots of time outside in the garden. On August 8th, I mentioned the continued bites to a coworker who instantly said "those look like the classic bed bug bite pattern (breakfast, lunch, dinner"). I immediately came home and started searching. About 10 seconds in, I had already found the source of our bites. The oh-so-dreaded bed bugs (a live bug and droppings were both found very easily in the seam of mattress). I called my sister who connected me to her PCO and at 9:30 that night, he called me to ask about the bites and what I had discovered. He advised me to contact our landlord first thing the next morning and he would check in with me that afternoon.

The landlord knew of the issue below us and therefore offered to pay the initial cost of treatment with the PCO I had requested (different than the one the neighbors hired).. We had our first chemical treatment on August 10th and our second on September 6th. We had to move everything away from baseboards and bag all of our clothes from our closets and bedding to be laundered. He allowed us to leave what was in our dressers and didn't ask us to remove anything off of the bookcase that the tv sits on. He stated if they were in either of those locations, they will look to feed and cross the chemical. I currently have all of our clean clothes in my car and bring in what we need each day. I wash and dry at the laundromat and put them in the car. The PCO was upfront and told me that it would take a few treatments to eliminate them and we would continue to see them and be bitten. He made sure to tell us not to change our sleeping arrangements because we needed to be the bait to get them to cross the poison.

We are a few days post second treatment and still getting bites. Every time I see my poor husbands arms, my faith in this issue ever being resolved is lessened. I know they say it's just part of the normal process but by golly I can't help but be broken hearted. I am so depressed and paranoid about these bugs. To top it off, I was nearing being ready to take my CMA boards for my job and have lost a whole month of study time because I can not focus on anything other than these bugs!

There are 4 apartments in our building and all of them are being sprayed monthly for a year. The exterminator spoke to our landlord and got this arranged because he get there was no way to successfully get rid of them without treating all of us. He did think our infestation was mild and stated we had caught it pretty early.

I requested another spray on September 20th to try to catch the hatch cycle and not let them go a whole month without chemical being reapplied. The PCO did tell me their residual is good for 30 days but does begin to weaken so he thought a reapplication would be good. We will then be treated again 2 weeks from that date for our regularly scheduled monthly treatment.

I just need some encouraging words and a support system. I am driving my husband crazy by looking at every speck, every spot on my body and wanting to search his exposed skin. He says these bugs have consumed me and I need to relax and let the PCO do their job, but it is oh so hard to do that! He has not been very helpful through this process and wants to challenge and/or argue with everything I'm asking. Please tell me, does it every get better? I don't even feel comfortable in my own home anymore. I am at my wits end and I just want my life back!

2. CantStopCrying

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 23:21:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I had them back in January. I was the same way, freakin get out at everything I saw. And my husband wears black socks so imagine my horror every night climbing into bed and finding his black sock fuzz!

It does get better but it took months after they were gone for me to let my guard down. We went on vacation in July and took precautions and packed in weather tight totes and I checked the beds before brining anything into the room. I think that part will stay with you forever. But it does get better.

BUT now I found out my mom and dad (they don't live together but both have them) has them and that's probably where I originally was exposed. I've been panicking AGAIN. I checked for weeks and found nothing and eventually started feeling like I was in the clear and I would just not let my parents over my house until they knew their problem was resolved. 2 weeks ago I found a single bug running across my bed while getting my daughter ready for a dr appointment. I came home and immediately started looking around and found nothing more. We are getting treatments again but haven't seen anything and no one has gotten bit and we did last time.!

Some days are better than others and I'm taking it a bit more in stride this time around but it's hard. But I think I will be doing the monthly maintenance sprays as well seeing as though it starting to be a big issue in my area now.

Good luck and don't give up!

3. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 23:49:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Woodrow! I had my first chemical treatment on August 2 and my third August 30. My girls share a room and my youngest was getting bites starting end of June but I didn't figure out what was going on until the end of July when we got back from vacation and her bites started up again. My pco is confident in his treatment protocol but since I am still getting bit I had their beds removed today by a company that wrapped them and took them away. I did it with my pco permission (don't want to mess up treatment). He didn't want me to incur the cost but at this point I don't care! Just want my life back!

I put my girls in my room and have been sleeping in their room to be the bait. I used to love bedtime. Busy day time to relax - those bugs have stolen my favorite part of the day!!!! But I will be done with this. They will not win! We will get through this! And yes I am constantly checking the girls for bites. So far moving them into my room has worked. And any piece of lint or fuzz or crumb of food looks like a bug! I am sure the bugs will be gone long before my crazy is!!!

Good luck and you are not alone!!!!

4. Woodrow15

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 23:57:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Myworstnightmare - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Hello Woodrow! I had my first chemical treatment on August 2 and my third August 30. My girls share a room and my youngest was getting bites starting end of June but I didn't figure out what was going on until the end of July when we got back from vacation and her bites started up again. My pco is confident in his treatment protocol but since I am still getting bit I had their beds removed today by a company that wrapped them and took them away. I did it with my pco permission (don't want to mess up treatment). He didn't want me to incur the cost but at this point I don't care! Just want my life back!
    I put my girls in my room and have been sleeping in their room to be the bait. I used to love bedtime. Busy day time to relax - those bugs have stolen my favorite part of the day!!!! But I will be done with this. They will not win! We will get through this! And yes I am constantly checking the girls for bites. So far moving them into my room has worked. And any piece of lint or fuzz or crumb of food looks like a bug! I am sure the bugs will be gone long before my crazy is!!!
    Good luck and you are not alone!!!!

I know exactly how you feel as bedtime was also my favorite part of every day and now I find any reason to not be at home. I dress in clean clothes right before I leave and hope for the best every day. It is so frustrating that it takes so much to get rid of these. I am paranoid, depressed, stressed and mentally and physically exhausted and the bugs seem to not cause my husband any distress. Ugh. I wish he was 100% on board with me as far as the necessary steps to get rid of them and preventing them from spreading around. He has yet to speak to the exterminator or hear his recommendations other than me stating them and he always argues them and tells me how stupid they are. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle here. Often I think of leaving everything but my clothes and starting all over....if only I had the money to do so.

5. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 0:00:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I started seeing a counselor a few weeks ago I've been so stressed over these damn bugs. Turns out I'm not her first patient to be seen for bed bug anxiety. Maybe it would help to have someone to talk to and maybe have some ideas on how to get full cooperation to beat the bugs!

6. Woodrow15

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 0:06:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Myworstnightmare - 3 minutes ago  » 
    I started seeing a counselor a few weeks ago I've been so stressed over these damn bugs. Turns out I'm not her first patient to be seen for bed bug anxiety. Maybe it would help to have someone to talk to and maybe have some ideas on how to get full cooperation to beat the bugs!

I may need to check into my insurance and see what I have as far as coverage for things like that. I did make an appointment with my primary care doctor on the 21st as I see her for depression and wanted to discuss the way it has worsened since the start of the BB issue. I hope she has some recommendations as I don't have the financial ability to pay someone out of pocket for counseling.

7. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 0:14:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I am getting 6 free sessions thru my employers employee assistance program (eap). Maybe your employer has a program? My health insurance would also cover visits but I'd have my copay which would add up cost wise for weekly sessions.

8. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 0:16:56
    #

Login to Send PM

And btw - I am not married but I've read several threads on this site with wives who say the same as you- that they are doing all the worrying and researching and heavy lifting (laundry drying tidying etc) but their husbands don't think it's a big deal. So you are not alone in that regard either!

9. Woodrow15

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 0:19:35
    #

Login to Send PM

They recently did away with our EAP at work so unfortunately that is not an option. Copays do add up quick. Hopefully my PCP has suggestions for me. Do you feel as though the counseling has helped you enough to be worth it? I cry and get angry over everything now days and I can't do on like this. I am afraid my marriage is going to end up taking a huge hit (it already has honestly) and may not recover if I can't get helps.

10. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 0:24:49
    #

Login to Send PM

That is too bad about the eap. I do think it helps to have someone to talk to. My anxiety issues although focused right now on bugs, existed prior to the bugs. So we are working on changing thought patterns. I believe it's called cognitive behavior something or other lol. But we don't just talk about the bugs - there are other things in my life that could use de-bugging as well! I go to counseling every so often when things are overwhelming. The counselor I used to use has moved so I'm having to start over (which takes a lot of foundation building) but I think it's worth the effort.

11. Woodrow15

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 8:39:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, I am definitely going to inquire about it. I was feeling optimistic and then found a dead adult in my bathroom this morning....ugh. This is the first sign I have seen in there so now I'm back in the dumps.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

264,051 posts in 42,687 topics over 129 months by 18,734 of 19,281 members. Latest: Vincent601, bedbug, Why2Us