Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Fecal Stains

(9 posts)
  1. ABugInBrooklyn

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 10 2007 15:15:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi again..
    I have been bug free for 2 months since our pco came but for the last 2 days I have woken up with a bunch of massive bites around my ankles. They're all in the same region but not really in a line, and to be honest, look a lot like the reactions I get to mosquito bites (with sort of holes in the middle and a bit of gross puss- sorry to be graphic). When i had bed bug bites the first time round they were in a line, on my arm and much smaller and more red.

I would ignore them except that I found this blackish brownish stain on the top part of my comforter - its a small line of circles that increase in size- like a trail. The spots are bigger than a bed bug and go on for about an inch and a half in a line. Its dark brown with shiny black in the middle, and it doesn't smear. How much can these little guys excrete? Also don't fecal stains occur mostly in their hiding places? I searched bed and frame (which is still isolated) and found nothing.

Anyway, can anyone tell me what fecal spots are supposed to look like in terms of size, consistency and patterns (if any). The pics I have seen dont look much like my stain. Is there anything particularly distinctive about bed bug excrement? This of course could be coffee or something but im sure you all understand about bed bug paranoia. I really dont want to go through all of this again but its so frustrating never knowing for sure!

Thanks.

2. infest

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 10 2007 15:54:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there any reason for the bugs to have not been completely eradicated? by that i mean, do you live in an apartment building that was infested? or have you recently unearthed some belongings that hadn't been touched prior to the initial pco treatment? In my experience (although everyone reacts to the bites differently) my bb bites were kind of pussy (ew) if i scratched at them (something that is uncharacteristic of my reaction to mosquito bites). On a lighter note, It doesn't sound like the stain you found was bed bug feces, mostly because of the size. also, if your bed frame is still isolated, i would think that it's unlikely even if you were re-infested that the bbs could get up on your bed. I (unlike a lot of people on this site) am not an expert. My advice to you would be to wear socks to bed, so that if you are bitten again, it will be in a different place, and thus easier for you to take inventory of the bites. if you get more, then i would start to worry. worst case scenario, you are infested again, but at least this time you are prepared. best of luck!

3. Beatrice

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 10 2007 16:12:37
    #

Login to Send PM

my stains looked like someone took a felt tip pen and pressed the tip on my bed leaving a dot

4. ABugInBrooklyn

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 10 2007 17:47:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much..
    Does anyone have stains that look like mine? Also, does anyone know where I can see better pictures of fecal stains? Surprisingly hard to find..

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 11 2007 2:31:43
    #

Login to Send PM

ABug,
    Lots of the fact sheets from universities (see bedbugger.com sidebar under information) have photos of fecal stains. I mostly saw the specks. Also how many treatments did you have and at what intervals?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. persona-non-bugga

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 11 2007 11:19:14
    #

Login to Send PM

ABuginBrooklyn, I found trails of dark dried-blood spots on my sheets and headboard. On my fitted sheet, the trail only had two spots. But at the bottom of my headboard, close to the floor, I remember a trail of brown/black spots that was almost five spots long. They were a few milimeters to a half-centimeter in diameter, but with small comet-tail smears pointing away (I guess) from the bed bug's path.

7. ABugInBrooklyn

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Sep 15 2007 12:25:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys.. My trail sounds a lot like your trail but not like any of the pictures really. I am over my head here!
    Ug, I thought we treated by the book.. black walnut dust, Caulking, kleen free, DE, never ending laundry, ziplock bags and 3 pco treatments at 2 week intervals. Our apartment is a fortress! People have been over to stay and not been bitten and I really thought we were in the clear. My concern is this: maybe im not getting bitten because my bed is isolated, then how will i ever know? How does one ever really know? I live in a 21-unit apartment building in which half of the residents will not open their doors to exterminators, so it is possible we could become reinfested.

My boyfriend is about ready to move to the country and thinks im nuts because im still freaking out about this. I know moving is not recommended but will my apartment ever be safe?

Sorry for the rant- Im sure you've heard all this before. Anyway, your feedback is much appreciated (and you dont think im crazy!)

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 16 2007 2:01:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure about that Black Walnut Dust, ABug. I have only seen it recommended on one website and with no reference to any data suggesting it worked.

If your bed is carefully isolated, you might have bed bugs and not know it. But unless your sofa, all chairs, were also isolated, they would still be able to bite you, and you'd react (IF you're allergic to the bites).

It is fully possible you have been reinfested by your neighbors. IF that is so, and you re-treat, you may have a period during which it is safer to move, if that's what you want to do. If I were moving, I would try and get a truck of belonings Vikane gassed, since it would give some peace of mind, especially if I were moving into a single-family home I knew to be bed bug free. (And if I were going to drop a bundle on vikaning a truck, I'd probably drop a few hundred more on a bed bug dog to check out the new place.) All of that may be out of reach, but hope it helps.

9. persona-non-bugga

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 16 2007 11:52:26
    #

Login to Send PM

ABug, have you tested the stain for the presence of blood? Supposedly, there's a lot of blood that remains in their fecal matter.

I've read of two different tests. (I haven't tested them personally. Also, I don't know how laundering would affect things.) First, when in contact with hydrogen peroxide, blood will bubble. Second, the enzymes in saliva break down blood, and the blood should appear to dissolve a bit.

With the saliva test, I imagine there could be lots of false positives. Our saliva breaks down all sorts of organic matter. So, if you've been eating ribeye with steak sauce in bed lately ... :/

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

192,820 posts in 29,735 topics over 91 months by 12,859 of 20,149 members. Latest: DarthUnit, redfruit, JEPA