Sun Jun 5 2011 8:10:35
    #

Login to Send PM

2. bbsuck

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 5 2011 15:37:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for posting this--there are a lot of fecal spot ?'s, so I'm sure this will get referenced a lot. It seems like a good thing to add to the FAQ, as well.

Unfortunately, it doesn't answer one of mine. I found a light brown spot (like the light spots in your pic) on the (painted) wall by an outlet. I was wondering, in your experience, how hard it is to remove a fecal spot from a painted wall. I took a wet qtip and scrubbed for a 5-10 seconds and it was completely gone. Is this typical of spots on a wall? Also, I thought fecal was usually black. Why are some tan?

3. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 5 2011 17:11:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I took a wet qtip and scrubbed for a 5-10 seconds and it was completely gone.

It was not a BB's one...

Also, I thought fecal was usually black. Why are some tan?

Fresh spots are shiny black, but they turn to matt grey in weeks.
    Some spots in the pics are ureic ones, and they're from light yellow to light brown.
    Some others appear to be a mix between fecal and ureic, so they show two colours or a mix of them.

4. NoBB

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 5:42:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you EffeCi! A very helpful post!

5. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 6:16:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, but that's still just "raw material"
    Buggyinsocal requested them to make a new FAQ, here they are... I'm sure the final result will be more helpful...

6. NoBB

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 6:54:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey EffeCi,

Do you happen to have any pix that are indicative of a lighter infestation? I think the infestation that I had is/was very mild compared to these pictures that you uploaded. I only found a couple of fecal spots here and there (or maybe I never found them all). But then, I only had BBs for two months.

What about this -- for early detection purposes, and to make the upcoming FAQ more accessible to people who've never dealt with bed bugs before -- perhaps you could divide these pictures into "Mild/New Infestation" "Medium Infestation" and "Heavy Infestation." I think the pictures would probably look pretty different according to these categories, right?

Just so that a newbite like me won't get confused

Thx again EffeCi!

7. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 8 2011 20:03:43
    #

Login to Send PM

What about this -- for early detection purposes, and to make the upcoming FAQ more accessible to people who've never dealt with bed bugs before -- perhaps you could divide these pictures into "Mild/New Infestation" "Medium Infestation" and "Heavy Infestation." I think the pictures would probably look pretty different according to these categories, right?

That's not so easy to do.
    It's easy to show a pic of a new infestation and even of a mild one. But in a medium or in a heavy one there are many harbourages in different places and any single situation needs a lot of pic to be showed.
    And, more than this, no two BBs infestation are alike....

8. bugmesomuch

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 8 2011 20:51:33
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi,

How do you clean the fecal spot off the mattress encasement? do you just use soap and water?

9. NoBB

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 9 2011 7:59:02
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi,

I see. Thank you for clarifying that : )

So, which ones of the pictures you pasted are pictures of a light/recent infestation?

Thx again

- NoBB

10. toledo

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 9 2011 9:03:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, EffeCi! This is one of the best posts on here.

11. Zilver

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 9 2011 16:02:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, Superinfromative! Great stuff!!!

This is pics I think is an enormous help when your new to this and trying to figure out fecals and what to look for.

Still, I have one thing I´m not sure on; Do fecals bleed or smear on the first kind of fabricyou show as well? Or how does it behave on that kind of fabric if you try the smeartest often recommended here?

12. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 9 2011 17:38:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Do fecals bleed or smear on the first kind of fabricyou show as well? Or how does it behave on that kind of fabric if you try the smeartest often recommended here?

Ouch... I don't know...
    I never did a smear test for BBs spots, because I recognize them visually. Sorry...

13. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 9 2011 17:46:44
    #

Login to Send PM

NoBB - 9 hours ago  » 
    EffeCi,
    So, which ones of the pictures you pasted are pictures of a light/recent infestation?
    Thx again
    - NoBB

These pics were posted to show fecal spots... just let me the time (work is killing me in these days) to search in my archive, and I'll find a good pic of a light/recent for you...

14. 10111

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 9 2011 19:50:05
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi - 2 hours ago  » 

NoBB - 9 hours ago  » 
    EffeCi,
    Thx again
    - NoBB

These pics were posted to show fecal spots... just let me the time (work is killing me in these days) to search in my archive, and I'll find a good pic of a light/recent for you...

This would be super helpful. Today I found two sets of breadcrumb style brown/red spots leading up the wall and up behind picture frames. After three chemical treatments with a "spray and prey" company I am so tired of this, but I think what I found was recent fecal traces.

15. flippingoutalittle

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 9 2011 20:23:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you want more pictures? I have one image that might be helpful of fecal spots on the spine of a book. We flipped through the book and found some bugs hangin' out on the pages, so it's definitely spots... I took a picture before throwing the book out.

I also have some pictures of blood spots on a fitted sheet, too. I don't really know if they're fecal spots? I thought they were smooshed bug spots at first, except those are usually smears, and these just look like very small, diluted blood droplets.

16. NoBB

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jun 10 2011 4:15:17
    #

Login to Send PM

flippingout, I'd love to see fecals on the book spine. My goal is to become more experienced in recognizing fecals.

Thx in advance!

17. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jun 10 2011 9:01:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd love to see fecals on the book spine.

I'll shearch in archives too, I should have them (and I forgot to post...)

18. flippingoutalittle

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jun 10 2011 11:03:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Not the best picture in the world, and it's more on the pages then the spine. I dunno if it's useful to you considering it's quality, but here you go:

Image!

19. Traumabugged

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 12 2011 2:57:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    This is so helpful!

20. Zilver

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 12 2011 6:34:11
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi - 2 days ago  » 

Do fecals bleed or smear on the first kind of fabricyou show as well? Or how does it behave on that kind of fabric if you try the smeartest often recommended here?

Ouch... I don't know...
    I never did a smear test for BBs spots, because I recognize them visually. Sorry...

Ooh, to bad! Would really have loved to have an answer on that one, but I see your point. Kind of like asking a concertpianoplayer how he/she plays the piano I guess
    He/she doesn´t think about it so much anymore, he/she just does it...

And flippingoutalittle , you know, you hardly have to excuse yourself for trying to help

This is kind of what I like about these forums; Experts like EffeCi and the lads helping us A LOT and then a lot of other contributing with what they can in a friendly way knowing that every little piece, as a picture, advice or friendly word, can be worth so, so much !

21. NoBB

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 12 2011 21:43:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I second Zilver. Thx, Flippingout!

22. buggedinT.O.

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 26 2011 14:08:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it possible to have only brownish red fecal marks from a bed bug? My house has been treated and i have been clear of bed bugs since the beginning of April, confirmed by a dog inspection . Today I found tiny reddish/brown marks on a white duvet that has been in a plastic bag on the floor(not completely sealed) in my closet which is close to my bed. The duvet was treated properly at the end of the treatement cycle once I thought there were no more bed bugs in my place. There are no black marks or even dark brown marks. I didn't think the marks had been there before. I know I have been having trouble with carpet beetles.

23. Zilver

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 5 2011 7:08:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Not that I don`t think you have considered the possibility, but have you had any small wounds while "being" in the bag, putting the duvet in, checking it or so.

The colour sounds like it could be tried blood and considering how small a wound can be and still leave spots it´s easy to miss out on the wound and just see the spots later.

Just a thought

24. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 13:52:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Some other pics of cross-shaped fecal spots on open weave synthetic fabrics

Cross shaped spots
    Cross shaped spots: detail1
    Cross shaped spots: detail2
    Cross shaped spots: detail3

25. NJ-BITES

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 14:01:11
    #

Login to Send PM

AWESOME!!!!

I am looking at houses to buy.
    I can't thank you enough for helping me know what to look for!

THANK YOU!

26. Zilver

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 14:22:14
    #

Login to Send PM

How come to crosshape EffeCi?

Is it because the fabric, bedlinen or so has had some folds or something? A little curious.

27. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 14:44:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it because the fabric, bedlinen or so has had some folds or something?

No, it depends from fabrics material and weave. If a liquid can't run between yarns (weave too open), it will do that inside (or around) every single yarn

28. UnheardBanshee

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 18:27:36
    #

Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

259,291 posts in 41,702 topics over 126 months by 18,287 of 18,748 members. Latest: lauren_d, Dontbugme07, canttakeittoogross