(9 posts)
  1. margelady5

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jun 4 2013 12:29:13
    #

Login to Send PM

0604130808a by margelady5, on Flickr

I have never tried embedding photos before, so bear with me.

A few days ago I started getting bug bites, which itched like mosquito bites but were smaller and redder, and usually clustered together in groups of two or three. They are mostly on my legs and midriff, with one on my arm (that I've identified so far).

I did not even suspect bed bugs until I started looking up home remedies for bug bites, they got so bad. So I lifted up my mattress, and found these smears, and I looked up pictures, and they look very similar to bed bug fecal smears, but I can't be sure. Now I am FREAKING OUT. I have not slept in almost 30 hours and I am so terrified.

I took these pictures holding my phone in one hand and a big flashlight with the other, and my hands were shaking badly, so the quality is poor, but I think they are good enough for someone to ID them. The long thin black thing you see in the photo is a dog hair, for help with picturing the size.

More info: My bed is in the shape of a daybed, and the frame is wooden on the outside but metal underneath, as you can see in the photos. Underneath my mattress and the metal frame beneath it is yet another mattress, which I have not cleaned in some time, since the shape of my bed makes it impossible to move on my own. I can see a large tear in the mattress pad on the bottom mattress which could make a nice home for bugs, but I cannot reach it without pulling out the bottom part of the bed, which I'm not strong enough to do on my own. I'm having a friend come over later to help me, but until then, I am SO SO scared to even go into my bedroom. Please let me know ASAP if anyone can help me identify this. Thank you SO much for any help.

2. margelady5

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jun 4 2013 12:31:17
    #

Login to Send PM

0604130808 by margelady5, on Flickr

0604130806b by margelady5, on Flickr

0604130805c by margelady5, on Flickr

0604130805b by margelady5, on Flickr

0604130805a by margelady5, on Flickr

0604130802a by margelady5, on Flickr

3. margelady5

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jun 4 2013 12:42:50
    #

Login to Send PM

0604130937a by margelady5, on Flickr

This is probably the worst photo I've ever taken, but it's the best I can do right now. It shows two bites on the side on my knee, right next to the crease. Hope that helps.

Edit to clarify: In the photos of the stains, what you are seeing is the top of the mattress that sits underneath my actual bed (or actually, the mattress pad on top of that mattress). The mattress that I sleep on sits on top of the metal frame you see in the photo. Not sure if that was clear or not.

I have washed all of the sheets and blankets that were on my regular mattress in hot water, but having done some research, I know that will not do any good. As soon as I try to sleep, the bugs will just crawl up again to get to me. Not being able to pull that mattress out, there is nothing I can do right now besides freak out and wait for my friend to wake up (west coaster here).

4. margelady5

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jun 4 2013 12:55:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I should mention that I live in a split-level home with three floors. My bedroom is on the lowest floor. Will the bugs be able to find me if I sleep upstairs, either on the second or third floor? I know everything says not to sleep on the couch and such, but I am way too freaked out to sleep in my bed, thinking about that tear in the mattress pad and what could be hiding inside of it.... /shudder

But I can't stay awake much longer!

5. margelady5

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jun 4 2013 21:17:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Could ants, any form of beetle, or earwigs cause bites and fecal stains like that? I have done some searching underneath my nightstand, and found a live ant, dead beetle-looking things, and a few bugs or cast skins that are similar to bed bugs in size and shape, but gold on the bottom and a more grayish color on top. I wasn't able to get a good picture of those. I also have a lot of earwigs in the garden, which sometimes come inside the house.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jun 5 2013 2:28:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Marge,
    There are only a few experts here who routinely ID fecal stains (usually EffeCi and bedbugscouk). So please bear with us, I am sure someone will see this soon.
    I added something to the title which should help.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. margelady5

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jun 5 2013 4:27:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much! I am going to go pick up some bed bug detectors tomorrow. As freaked out as I am, I don't want to try treatment if I don't know for sure. I'm pretty sure that the bites combined with the stains and the design of my bed means it's likely that I have them, but I'll wait for an expert to chime in. I'm hanging in there (and hoping and praying it's not bed bugs). I appreciate having someone to turn to for help!

8. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jun 7 2013 16:49:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Nothing BBs related. Color, shape and smearing are wrong...

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 months ago
    Sat Jun 8 2013 0:32:37
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi - 7 hours ago  » 
    Nothing BBs related. Color, shape and smearing are wrong...

That's a lot of IDs...

You're a rock star, EffeCi!

Marge,

EffeCi really knows his fecal stains.

As for the skin reaction, no one can tell you based on a skin reaction if you have bed bugs. There are too many possible causes.

Bed bug monitors should help detect them if you do have any so good luck with those!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,309 posts in 28,319 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter