Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Fecal ID Please [a: not fecal/additional questions added]

(11 posts)
  1. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 8:39:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I am sorry for asking for another ID, but I have trouble with fecal stains. We haven't found any new fecal stains since our first treatment in December. I've never really looked at a fresh one, so I have trouble discerning what is fecal and what is something else. I don't have bed bug blue to test, but will order some now.

This morning, I found this stain on the edge of my sheet. It is on the top and bottom of the hem. The first photo is the top: http://imgur.com/a/RXX8I

The second is the bottom, just on the underside of the edge of the sheet, under the top stain. http://imgur.com/a/U58cd

Are these fecal?

Thank you.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 9:52:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In the hope of improving your ID skills can i ask you to tell me which of the images below you think this looks like:

502bd839d1a by David Cain, on Flickr

or

Slide40 by David Cain, on Flickr

The idea being that we can get you to start looking at the detail int he images rather than the less specific aspects such as shape or colour.

Hope this helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 10:04:17
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

You are right. It doesn't look like any of those. I did go through the galleries. It is really like none of those pictures either. I apologize for taking your time and possibly upsetting anyone else with my photos. I wish I could delete this post.

In other news, the PCO came out for me this morning. We have had some strange bumps, and then this. And we were almost due for him to come out again, so he came. And he found an almost dead BB in one of the LightsOut traps under my bed. He said he didn't really know how long it had been there, but he imagined a while as it was barely moving. It had no blood in it. I just wrote a long post about this setback, so I won't repeat here. But I will say this has me very discouraged. We were almost 3 months in the clear.

I don't want to cause anyone to panic. This BB could be entirely my fault. It could have come from one of the bags of things we have yet to deal with in my room (we washed and washed, cleaned out and decluttered, but these were the bags of things we didn't know what to do with, and I was terrified of opening). But I am still very unsettled by this finding.

Thank you for your advice and help. I hope you understand that sometimes it is really hard to be rational and logical when dealing with this. We have a plan. We are following it. I have been trying to attack this in a practical, non-emotional way. I don't usually have such irrational fears of things. But these bedbugs are rocking me to my core. It is so hard to deal with with a family with young children, and a husband who isn't entirely cooperative. I feel the burden is falling completely on me, and I can't talk to anyone outside of my immediate family. It is taking it's toll. So I am very, very sorry for sometimes panicking and asking for expert help. I will try harder to ID things myself.

4. barelyliving

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 10:24:16
    #

Login to Send PM

You don't need to apologize, I would have questioned that, too. And I think if you're concerned you should ask for expert opinions. I don't think David was chiding you, I think he was trying to help. It's a very stressful situation and I wish we all had more tools. Just take it one day at a time and do the best you can each day. I think about the people back in the early 1900's that dealt with these things and try to realize that we can do it, too. That's my pep talk . You can do it.

Do you still have dust around? If it were me and I was worried about a few stragglers that's what I would do. But just a non-expert, thought.

5. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 10:29:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, barelyliving. I feel so incompetent. I don't usually feel incompetent. If anything, I am usually a very competent, independent person who can handle things.

Good idea on the dust. It was one bug. It had not fed. It was almost dead. It's going to be OK. I just keep telling myself that. Unfortunately, it is going to have to wait a little while as I need to work. I wish I weren't so sick to my stomach.

Thank you.

6. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 10:31:14
    #

Login to Send PM

And David is always so helpful. He has helped me so much and I do fear I was starting to take advantage.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 12:02:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Think of this as a "teach a person to fish" exercise.

The reality is that its less of an emotional roller coaster to ask "I am pretty sure this is not but please confirm" than to cling to a false fear that it could be.

In this case you have checked the images and correctly confirmed it is not like either of those. Again the tell-tale feature is the way that the stain sits on top of the fibers. This is only possible with friction because the light touch means the transfer always occurs "high points" first.

My hope is that teaching you this way of looking at things you can avoid any anxiety in the first place. It also helps me to look at tools to help people breakthrough the anxiety barrier and into a place where they can define the details they need to look at.

When I train people it often includes a trip to an aquarium. This is because it can be easier to teach people to feel how their eyes work in a darker environment. Its usually the exercise before they declare "OMG I had no idea I could do that" and the reality is the only need to be able to do it is in differentiating small differences very quickly so it's not a "normal" human skill because int he modern world people don't need it.

Anyway, welcome to a world with another layer of detail. When you visit it make sure you send an equal amount of time outdoor to allow your eyes and mind to re-calibrate.

Hope that helps.

David

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 12:04:33
    #

Login to Send PM

ithoughtlicewerebad - 1 hour ago  » 
    ..... I do fear I was starting to take advantage.

I can assure you I am a hard man to take advantage of. I have a reputation to maintain.

David

9. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 18:24:23
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

Thank you. I have learned so much here from you, Lou, Big Dummy and all the others who have been through this and lived to share their wisdom. I feel like I'm getting better and better at identifying bugs. Can't tell you how many carpet beetles I have not bothered you all with these past few weeks But fecal gets me for some reason.

I do have another question and I fear it may be one of those that is impossible to answer. How concerned should I be about the straggler bedbug my PCO found this morning? We had been doing so well. I had even stopped worrying about every bump and itch. No signs at all and I check the bed every day and wash the bedding weekly. Vacuum thoroughly weekly. Nothing! And today he finds a half dead bug, that had clearly not fed recently (no blood when he squashed it).

Is this a complete reset and start over, or should we just continue to monitor. We hadn't found a thing in 9 weeks and nothing live in 12. The thought of starting this clock over is just killing me. I'm still living out of bags. I had gotten a little more permissive with the kids, letting them come down in the pjs on the snow days this week, and snuggling on the sofa. Now I fear that was a huge mistake.

I'm rambling again. I apologize. I am just feeling very discouraged.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 19:58:29
    #

Login to Send PM

It could be a new introduction.

Are you in a home with attached neighbors and if so, have they had a recent professional inspection? If not, do you have any idea where the problem came from originally?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 20:28:53
    #

Login to Send PM

We're in a detached home. Can't blame it on the neighbors. Reintroduction is what I'm afraid of. We don't know where they came from. My husband travels a lot for business. Commutes to a large city for work. His office is in a high rise. I try to be diligent, but he is not as diligent as I would like.

PCO thinks that it may have escaped from bags we have had tied up in our room since before treatment. Things we didn't quite know what to do with when we were decluttering for treatment. I have not wanted to deal with them because I thought the things inside had to be sorted before we put the Nuvan Strips in it, and I was seriously afraid to open them. But he told me to just take them to the garage, put the Nuvan strips in, and let them sit a week or two. He just wants them out of my room because they aren't airtight. So this could be a result of my own stupidity and fear.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

253,423 posts in 40,552 topics over 123 months by 17,743 of 18,103 members. Latest: jadew077, oceanofbugs7, amyjim